MLB Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Re: MLB Thread

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

there were loads of top players not in the MLB and NBA..

then they recruit them in...

https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-top-30-in ... -273511500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/gallery/m ... st=pin-top" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2076 ... ted-states" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-curren ... ker-sports" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the reason they don't usually stay at "home" long is they can make shedloads of money in the States..

and please don't get into the NFL bit

they don't play American Football anywhere else in the world competitively..there is an American Football team here in Cuenca...they probably couldn't beat a half decent college team...

To be eligible for the draft, players must have been out of high school for at least three years and must have used up their college eligibility before the start of the next college football season. Underclassmen and players who have graduated before using all their college eligibility may request the league’s approval to enter the draft early.

Players are draft-eligible only in the year after the end of their college eligibility.

don't think anyone has attempted to sign an overseas player directly in contravention to the NFL rule.
Hemel Iron

Post by Hemel Iron »

I don't really want to get into this as I am not vehemently arguing against the World Champion tag, I just dont see why others get bent out of shape.

To be fair, I gave up on your links after I saw the first one was Top International Prospects. The key word being prospects. I don't really think you know what you are talking about.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

first off because they are playing outside the U.S.

did you even bother with the NBA one ? probably not because it doesn't suit your argument

https://www.mlb.com/news/opening-day-ro ... -270131918" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Opening Day rosters feature 254 players born outside the U.S.

29.0 percent of players born outside the U.S., spanning an all-time high 21 countries and territories

and because there are so few countries playing competitive baseball and the most money being paid elsewhere, they leave their home countries and go to the U.S.
Hemel Iron

Post by Hemel Iron »

You have taken this beyond the original comment, which was the best players being in the leagues.

Nobody ever claimed there were few international players.

You are arguing with the strawman.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

and I said that there were and are still some of the best players outside both the NBA and MLB.

the best players outside the PL are with clubs who can pay the big money and have good clubs.

when one country has the ONLY real game in town, and the money which other countries don't there won't be competitive games played in those sports.

kinda like you suggesting that there were other good players outside the NFL outside the U.S.

I've said my piece - it isn't worth discussing something with someone who doesn't bother to look for information to substantiate his thesis.
Hemel Iron

Post by Hemel Iron »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:and I said that there were and are still some of the best players outside both the NBA and MLB.

the best players outside the PL are with clubs who can pay the big money and have good clubs.

when one country has the ONLY real game in town, and the money which other countries don't there won't be competitive games played in those sports.

kinda like you suggesting that there were other good players outside the NFL outside the U.S.

I've said my piece - it isn't worth discussing something with someone who doesn't bother to look for information to substantiate his thesis.
It’s not a bloody thesis though is it. There were 2-3 throwaway remarks about the use of the term ‘World Champions’ and somehow it has led you to go off on a tangent about international representation in those North American leagues, when nobody had ever said anything otherwise.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

It's kind of a strange argument. I mean, there are many players in the minor leagues who will one day be as good or better than your average major leaguer. And there are no doubt a few dozen international prospects who will achieve the same success. But where are there players who are as good as MLB players who are playing elsewhere? Maybe a few in Japan, but there's no equivalent league anywhere else in the world. There just isn't.

In any event, in the global view, baseball is just a niche sport. I'd be curious to see how it rates vs. rugby and cricket in terms of worldwide popularity. My guess is that it finishes a distant third.
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

Congratulations to the Boston Red Sox. :thup:

Bad Luck MFD. 1988 and all that. :D
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

RIP Willie McCovey, San Francisco sporting royalty and baseball HOFer. He almost maimed my father in the late 60's. My Dad went to Giants game while on a business trip to SF. He bought a cheapie in the LF bleachers and got there very early to watch the teams take batting practice. The sun was squarely in his eyes when Stretch McCovey was taking BP. Willie hit a line drive so hard that it shattered the seat next to my Dad into splinters. Another 8 inches to the right and it would have pulverized my father.
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

The start of the MLB season had been delayed for two weeks until the 9th April, but has now been pushed back even further with no date yet to be announced.

Some talk of the earliest start being mid May.

I honestly think this Coronavirus outbreak is going to last for an awful long time so like so many other sports such as the Euro's I think their will be no Baseball at all in 2020.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

I’d left this thread to decay a bit - apologies to brothernero et. al, but I’m resurrecting it now.

Baseball will be back soon. They just did their first round of tests and 31 players tested positive (plus seven staff), which given the positive rates in European football leagues, you’d have to say is not great. The schedule has also yet to be revealed, even though it’s now less than three weeks until the proposed restart.

There a lot of problems with restarting, but presuming it does, I’m excited for this short version of the season. Almost feels like it’s a summer/autumn tournament than a season. Also gives up to teams who would have had no chance over 172 games.

Us Yankees have a few fit who would otherwise have been out for the start of the season, which is useful. Be great to see Cole in pinstripes.
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

My town going nuts over baseball at the moment. San Diego Padres in the play offs for the first time since 2006 or so. Just beat the New York Mets & now facing the LA Dodgers who I think are overall favourites.

Our shop was mad busy before and after the game yesterday and dead while it was on.

Everyone in town looks like that gang from the Warriors.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

This made me chuckle.

bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Today the anniversary of one of the most memorable home runs of the past 50 years...

and the local call by Scooter Rizzuto, showing Chambliss coming back out through the mob to touch home place

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

3rd game of the Dodger v Padres series tonight. I think it's the first team to 3 so it could be over by tomorrow as it's 1-1 at present.

Every 3rd person in San Diego is wearing baseball related clothes right now :lol:
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

bitter-iron-ny wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:28 pm Today the anniversary of one of the most memorable home runs of the past 50 years...

and the local call by Scooter Rizzuto, showing Chambliss coming back out through the mob to touch home place

Loved Rizzuto, White and I think it was Messer. Iirc, they'd rotate from the tv booth to the radio booth. Local broadcasters in NYC were the absolute best in those days. Jim Gordon and the Big Whistle for NYR. Jim Gordon again with the Giants. Or maybe it was Marv Albert then. One of those 2 with Dick Lynch. Kiner with the Mets. Spencer Ross (I think) with the Knicks. Those were my peak sports loving memories days.

Anyhow, it got ugly for the Yanks in the series following Chambliss's walk off dinger. Definition of deflation.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Bloody hell, I leave work at 10pm & my boss is gloating because the Dodgers were almost certainly going to win to even the series 2-2 as they were winning the game 3 runs to nothing with not long to go.

By the time I get home 25 minutes later my street is in uproar as the Padres scored 5 quick points to win the game and the series.

Fireworks and happy gunshots going off everywhere.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Shabu wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:04 am Bloody hell, I leave work at 10pm & my boss is gloating because the Dodgers were almost certainly going to win to even the series 2-2 as they were winning the game 3 runs to nothing with not long to go.

By the time I get home 25 minutes later my street is in uproar as the Padres scored 5 quick points to win the game and the series.

Fireworks and happy gunshots going off everywhere.
runs, Shabu. runs. :winker: :smiler:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

San Diego v Houston next who are known as cheats although I'm not sure how they cheated.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

I think it's been a while, but I think they were caught doing what every team in the league has done since the beginning of time, they stole the catcher's signs to the pitcher.