MLB Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Re: MLB Thread

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

dodger wrote: Only been to the new one actually but I didn’t find it soulless. I know a lot of fans have been saying that but it probably helps that most of the games I’ve been to have meant something. Mets, Red Sox, and games that matter to make postseason so I found the atmosphere decent for all of them.
It's fine for the big games, but even then it's a whole different vibe than the old place.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and it wasn't always pretty:

dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

bitter-iron-ny wrote: It's fine for the big games, but even then it's a whole different vibe than the old place.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and it wasn't always pretty:

Looks incredible! I did notice in last season’s playoffs they were saying the atmosphere was the best since the old stadium. Hopefully some of the old magic can return.

And brothernero your D-Backs have had an impressive start.
Last edited by dodger on Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brothernero
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

Very Impressive start indeed. LA Dodgers are always a tough team to beat, but yesterdays win was our 9th straight in regular season play v them.

What makes our start even more impressive is the fact that our star play Paul Goldschmidt has got off to a terrible start. So far batting less than a buck.

But I wont allow myself to get carried away, still just hoping for a second straight wining season. Anything else would be a huge bonus.
dodger

Post by dodger »

Dammit. Red Sox scrape yet another win! Headbanger

Six wins for them so far, two in extra innings and three of the others by one run. They were doing a similar thing at the end of last year’s regular season to stay just ahead of us in the rankings. They seem good in tight games but it’s bloody annoying!
hemelite

Post by hemelite »

I expect my team (Angels) to flatter to deceive again.
Houston will win our division and Oakland will run us close for second. As long as we finish above the Rangers that'll be fine.

Dodgers will screw up again as well when it matters. I shall be interested to see how Philly do this year as well.

My dark horses: Cleveland
Hemel Iron

Post by Hemel Iron »

Meanwhile the World Champion Houston Astros look very strong.
FloridaHammer

Post by FloridaHammer »

My hometown Tampa Bay Rays are just shocking this year. Blew a 7-2 lead in he 8th inning yesterday to lose 8-7. At least we have the Tampa Bay Lightning in the Stanley Cup playoffs.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Handbags at Fenway
dodger

Post by dodger »

bitter-iron-ny wrote:Handbags at Fenway
Yeah was a feisty one. Probably needed a night like that for the Yankees to break the Red Sox streak and end the Yankees downturn. Hoping it continues but I see the Red Sox coming back strong tomorrow.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

Been a few bust ups already. Yankees V Red Sox, Padres v Rockies and Diamondbacks v Cardinals.

In our game our Manager Luvullo got in the face of the Umpire and call Yadier Molina "that Mother Fckr", Molina tried to punch him, and in doing so shoved the umpire twice, then the benches cleared. Somehow though Molina was allowed to stay in the game. (He had a right to go after Torey though) Both ended up with a 1 game suspension.

I do love the fact when there is a bust up in American sports, they just let them get on with it, deal with it after quickly and quietly and no one really makes two much a big deal about things.

Remember the Batista punch few years back, imagine if that had happened here in a game of Football. Youtube link below.

On another note, D-Backs have started the year 9-3. Never expected that seeing as we are still missing key players. :thup:
dodger

Post by dodger »

brothernero wrote:Been a few bust ups already. Yankees V Red Sox, Padres v Rockies and Diamondbacks v Cardinals.

In our game our Manager Luvullo got in the face of the Umpire and call Yadier Molina "that Mother Fckr", Molina tried to punch him, and in doing so shoved the umpire twice, then the benches cleared. Somehow though Molina was allowed to stay in the game. (He had a right to go after Torey though) Both ended up with a 1 game suspension.

I do love the fact when there is a bust up in American sports, they just let them get on with it, deal with it after quickly and quietly and no one really makes two much a big deal about things.

Remember the Batista punch few years back, imagine if that had happened here in a game of Football. Youtube link below.

On another note, D-Backs have started the year 9-3. Never expected that seeing as we are still missing key players. :thup:
Great start for you guys. Not quite so good for us... hoping we pick it up but at the moment I think the Yankees this year might be more hype than substance.

As for the on-pitch battles, yeah the fights are definitely less ridiculous than the tap someone and they roll around affairs in football. Still, it’s all relative, the baseball fights are still tame compared to the manliness displayed in Aussie rules and rugby.

Anyway, enjoying the season despite the Yankees being disappointing. A lot of exciting games and quite a few surprise packages so far. The Ohtani story in particular is incredible.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

D-backs now 10-3 to start the year. :thup:

Yesterday was our 10th straight regular season win over the LA Dodgers. That simply does not happen against a team with their quality. So to say I am somewhat stunned by that is quite an understatement.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

Another win over the Dodgers for the D-backs. That is now 11th straight over them in regular season. That is tied for the 4th longest winning streak v them in their franchise history. :thup:

D-backs, Angels, Red Sox and Mets all have got of to wonderful starts. All 4 perhaps somewhat of a surprise.
dodger

Post by dodger »

brothernero wrote:Another win over the Dodgers for the D-backs. That is now 11th straight over them in regular season. That is tied for the 4th longest winning streak v them in their franchise history. :thup:

D-backs, Angels, Red Sox and Mets all have got of to wonderful starts. All 4 perhaps somewhat of a surprise.
Mets and Angels are especially big surprises for me.

Shame about your run ending but still a very solid start.

Am hoping the stretch of home games for Yankees helps us get into some form.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

Yankees will be a strong contender, going to be tough however to over take the Red Sox.

Aaron Judge, what a player he is. Outside of my own team he is one of my Favourites along side Jose Altuve.
FloridaHammer

Post by FloridaHammer »

Rays best player out 3-months. Get ready for 110 losses or more.
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

brothernero wrote:Yankees will be a strong contender, going to be tough however to over take the Red Sox.
Jays going well. 8-2 for the last ten, just sept the Royals (not hard)

Sox won't last, This weekends Jays @ Yanks series big for the rest of the season.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

Ahhh Baseball and it's extra Innings.

I watched a cracker of a game yesterday between the Chicago White Sox and the Oakland Athletics. Oakland came out winners after 14 Innings 12-11. A good old fashioned Run Fest.

But then you had the Minnesota Twins v The Cleveland Indians in a game played down in Puerto Rico. 16 Innings and a proper pitchers duel that saw the game end 2-1 Twins. Those fans attending their first ever baseball game hoping to get hooked, had to sit through 5 hours+ of...... well not really very much. :D
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Best wishes to Danny Farquhar who is in crircal condition after suffering a brain hemorrhage caused by a ruptured aneurysm. He collapsed in the dugout during the game against the Astros. Fingers crossed for him.
dodger

Post by dodger »

Slowly the season is taking on a vaguely similar look to last year, with a few exceptions.

Houston, Cleveland, Arizona and Boston all likely to make the postseason again I reckon.

We (Yankees) may slowly be building up a head of steam but we’ll see. Plenty of talent, especially in the bats, but the pitching and general managing of the team is still questionable. The series coming up against strong teams in the Angels, Astros, Indians and Red Sox will either expose those weaknesses or see the team grow and improve to overcome them.