Nurmagemodov vs Holloway

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Nurmagemodov vs Holloway

Post by DasNutNock »

Who you got? Hard to see past the unstoppable Dagestani - perhaps the most powerful fighter we’ve ever seen at that weight class. Holloway’s no joke, though, and if he’s the first person to solve the Khabib puzzle, he’ll be a worthy winner.

Wonder if Conor’s ever going to fight again?
ironstu

Re: Nurmagemodov vs Holloway

Post by ironstu »

I don't know much at all about UFC, I'm a boxing nut and have watched the odd UFC bout but just can't get in to it as much as I'd like.

Certainly don't know anything about Nurmagemodov or Holloway but interesto know what is the latest with McGregor? Why isn't he fighting? Is the general thought in UFC that he will return? Is he just happy living off of the fortune he made for the Mayweather fight? Why wouldn't he want to fight again if he is supposedly so good at it?
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

ironstu wrote:I don't know much at all about UFC, I'm a boxing nut and have watched the odd UFC bout but just can't get in to it as much as I'd like.

Certainly don't know anything about Nurmagemodov or Holloway but interesto know what is the latest with McGregor? Why isn't he fighting? Is the general thought in UFC that he will return? Is he just happy living off of the fortune he made for the Mayweather fight? Why wouldn't he want to fight again if he is supposedly so good at it?
Because he wouldn't want to destroy that awesome legacy of his by losing. The one that exists in his own mind and that of his deluded support.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Hmmm.... still the only simultaneous 2-division champ in UFC history, and the only other people to win the strap in 2 classes are GSP, Randy Couture and BJ Penn. Exalted company, let's face it. Also, I never saw anyone dismantle Aldo the way Conor did, and he was a f*cking savage fighter (before he forgot to kick people's legs).

I think the main reason he's gone off MMA is the amount of money he made fighting Junior, and I suspect he's really only motivated by those sorts of numbers being offered - something the UFC currently won't get involved with.

I'm no McGregor fanboy, but his achievements in MMA are up there with anyone's. I think Khabib vs the paddy would be very interesting viewing.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Fair points all but I prefer to judge fighters on the people they've beaten and Aldo is the only stellar name on his fight record.

The same reason I consider Mike Tyson an average heavyweight. Beaten every single time he faced anyone who could be considered a great fighter (barring an old Larry Holmes)

I don't know, maybe it's fair to say that there just aren't the fights out there for him but he could fight Khabib or Tony Ferguson.

He made so much money from fighting Mayweather that it's now no issue for him and should be accepting the career defining fights. He won't though, he's scared of Khabib and for me, he loses that fight.

Beating Nurma is the only way I would change my mind on him. He's absolutely ducking him.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Eddie Alvarez, Max Holloway & Nate Diaz aren't bums either, but I do agree, there's some big names he ought to be facing. Ferguson & the Eagle being the two obvious ones.

As for career-defining, he only cares about money, despite what he says about titles. Same with Bisping, TBF, although I think him taking Rocksalt's belt would have been highly satisfying.

Poor people who can grind their way to the top are rarely motivated purely by titles and adulation. They're usually in it for the money, and rightly so (IMO).
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4269 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

White Goodman wrote:Fair points all but I prefer to judge fighters on the people they've beaten and Aldo is the only stellar name on his fight record.

Beating Nurma is the only way I would change my mind on him. He's absolutely ducking him.
Aldo is a huge name. Consensus featherweight GOAT before Conor dispatched of him.

12 fight win streak and current 145 Champion, Max Holloway? Also in the argument for best featherweight fighter of all-time. Conor worked him over for all three rounds on route to an easy victory.

Only fighter to be both Bellator and UFC Lightweight Champion, Eddie Alvarez? I think he's a relatively basic fighter but his record speaks for itself. Accomplished more than most at 155 and undoubtedly is one of the best fighters in the class. We all saw how much of a mismatch that was.

You don't think Chad Mendes and Nate Diaz are stellar names? Even Dustin Poirier at the time of the fight was considered a potential breakout Championship-level fighter before Conor dusted him in a minute.

Whenever McGregor fights someone, they are an epic fighter that will prove Conor is a hype machine. Then Conor KOs them and they are all overrated journeymen. It's very interesting.