Cricket Season

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ironstu

Cricket Season

Post by ironstu »

Thought it would be good to start a thread for any of those playing cricket this season.

Fill us in on who you play for, which league etc., and a bit of fun to add your scores for the weekend with your individual contribution with bat and ball whilst sharing some inevitable funny stories!
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Re: Cricket Season

Post by warp »

wabbit season!
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

I'm a manager of an U12 side. Evening training starts this Friday, been a long winter.

We came second last season so hoping to go one better. Not helped by my best player moving to another team in the close season though. :x
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

BiLR, all the best with the U12's. Hopefully he doesn't cause you much damage when you play against him!

Our Nets start next Tuesday, suspect the ground is still going to be on the damp side for a couple of weeks still. Looking forward to it now, luck enough to play at one of the nicest grounds in Essex club cricket!
Bend it like Repka

I've bowled at my daughter now in three net sessions and it has dawned on me that I may never bowl her out again. Due to my left knee being frigged I can't generate too much pace anyway, but she has progressed so much with her batting that even when I do manage to be hitting middle stump, she just carts me for what would be a 4 or 6.

In fact she's started taunting me that my bowling is too easy compared to the boys in the team.

So I'm a pie chucker. :lol:

I don't know whether to feel proud for her or dejected for myself. :(
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Dejected for yourself mate, it's a dads job to let his kids win on occasion and push them to be better, not get embarrassed by his kids. :wink:
orbital
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by orbital »

My boy has been picked for the Borough U12's had first game against East London at Hackney Marshes yesterday, crappy artificial wickets, but won by 12 runs, closer than it should of been, one of our boys got 106 before he retired, one thing is for sure, i thought my son was a good player but seeing the other boys in the team I might revise my opinion!!
Bend it like Repka

sendô wrote:Dejected for yourself mate, it's a dads job to let his kids win on occasion and push them to be better, not get embarrassed by his kids. :wink:
Sadly you are right. My only consolation is that she rarely gets beaten by the bowling machine when it is set to the mid to high 40's mph, so I'm no worse than a robot.

My body is so wrecked I can't get above 50mph, I'm trying to learn spin, as England are finding out, it's not easy. Wrist spinning is ****ing impossible. I have managed to get a few to rip (followed by mass celebration by me) but the other 19 out of 20 end up in the roof of the net, the side of the net or behind me. :lol:
Bend it like Repka

Clearly there are not many KUMBers who play or are involved in cricket then as this thread is so quiet.

My lot have lost both games so far. The first we only had 9 players vs a side who contained some of the best in the county, so I can accept the tonking. Couple of their lads were pretty rapid for their age group, I'm always nervous when my daughter bats but I was a bit more worried than usual. Shows her courage that she was out driving caught at mid off on her 5th ball.

Monday night was an exhibition in why being a manager in any sport can be a horrible, frustrating job.

Chasing 85 every time we started making progress, someone self destructed. My opener ran himself out going for a single that was never there. I've told my number 3 to be patient and get himself in, clean bowled trying to drive his third ball, both girls stated building a partnership, my daughter had brain fade after starting well and then my skipper ran out our top scorer going for a crazy second that was never there.

It's a lonely thing standing at square leg wanting to scream at them but suffering in silence.

The tail wagged but we ended up 11 runs short. My family are getting used to my post games rants in the car. :(
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

I'm not quite at that stage yet (my eldest isn't even 4 yet), but I can see trying to teach kids to play sport properly being one of the most frustrating things in the world, as you can't quite transpose your years of experience onto them as you want.
Bend it like Repka

I'm playing my first match for 35 years on Saturday. For some reason 4th XI manager has decided that me being able to bat in the nets against 12 year olds qualifies me for selection. :lol:

I've said yes as life is too short not to try something new, I do quite fancy playing, but at the same time I'm terrified.

No doubt at about 3pm Sat afternoon I'll be about to face the first delivery from some 16 year old express train and duly ****ting myself....
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

sendô wrote:I'm not quite at that stage yet (my eldest isn't even 4 yet), but I can see trying to teach kids to play sport properly being one of the most frustrating things in the world, as you can't quite transpose your years of experience onto them as you want.
You'd be surprised how that applies to everything you try to teach them.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Bend it like Repka wrote:I'm playing my first match for 35 years on Saturday. For some reason 4th XI manager has decided that me being able to bat in the nets against 12 year olds qualifies me for selection. :lol:

I've said yes as life is too short not to try something new, I do quite fancy playing, but at the same time I'm terrified.

No doubt at about 3pm Sat afternoon I'll be about to face the first delivery from some 16 year old express train and duly ****ting myself....
Go for it Reps - like you say life is too short and you never know, you might get a sneaky edge off the first ball for 4, destroying the confidence of the express train and he'll be putty in your hand!
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

BILR as the quick bowler runs in just at the last second before he gets to his coil, pull out claiming the sight screen isn't right (funnier if they don't have them) and needs positioning. That way he'll have run in at top speed for nothing and have to go again.

Next time just as he gets to his coil, pull out claiming there's a bee buzzing around you and distracting you

Next time... you get the gist

I managed to do that 3 times in a row once to a pro, maybe not the wisest move I've ever made. My mate at the other end was giggling and even the umpire was laughing to himself as he wandered down to have a word.

Next ball, the quick was trying to take my head off and tbh he nearly did, haven't faced anything that quick but after that he bowled dog tucker so winding him up was definitely the right course to go.

I miss the mind games now that I'm injured at the moment
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Only just seen this thread. I play for a team called Boxmoor in the Herts League, generally in the 2nd or 3rd XI on Saturday’s. Rarely play Sunday’s now as the club left the Sunday league we were in (I was captain for 3 years and got 3 promotions, then the team got relegated when I handed over the reigns and the club pulled it from the league the year after that!). I’m a frog in a blender leg spinner, and can hold a bat but liable to get 0 or 20 odd.

I’ve only played twice this season (and a rained off game). First game was a week yesterday ago, took 3 for 23 off 8 overs. Came in at number 5 with 9 balls to go and our team needing 50 to win, tried to hit one back over the bowler and he took my off stump - so out for a golden :lol: We lost the game by 44 runs. One thing which didn’t help was 10 dropped catches in our fielding innings!

Yesterday we had a friendly against a local rival due to both the 2s and 3s opponents conceded their games, we lost by 7 wickets. I was back down the order at 9, went in for the last 3 overs, but didn’t face a ball for my 0 not out - an improvement on last week I guess! We got 141/9 in 40 overs on a good batting pitch so was well below par. I got 3 overs at the end which were 0 for 17 - probably would’ve been a bit lower but we were down to 9 by the time I bowled due to injuries.

Next week my challenge is to face more than one ball if I bat, then score a run to get off the mark with the season. Hopefully get more than 3 overs when they’re cruising to victory too!
Bend it like Repka

So, let's discuss my nought. :)

So concerned about what I was facing on Saturday afternoon, after taking a net session in the morning for the kids, I slipped the pads on and had a proper go facing the bowling machine. My whole batting experience up to then was no pads on against about a max of 48 mph.

50mph, fine. Up to 55, very quickly adjusted and coping ok. 60mph - Wow. The first 6 or 7 balls I never got near, about 4 of them smashed the stumps. Eventually my brain did adjust and I was able to defend or punch away everything but it was such hard work I did drain myself a bit, was a whole new level of concentration, adrenaline and effort. I came away with a new repect for how anyone can face 90mph bouncers!

Anyway the game. I was batting No8. I umpired the first 20 overs and had a good look at all their bowlers, ironically except the one who got me. The pitch was a proper Boycott uncovered park wicket. Some balls passing at ankle height, some chest.

As the game went on I did remark to the number 9 that we would be probably be going in just in time for the opening strike bowlers to return after everyone else had had a bowl and i was spot on! Our number 7 was out first ball of the new over when one guy came back on. Lovely.

So ball 1 I'd already premeditated my forward defensive shot, I just kept reminding myself to move my front foot. Executed it perfectly. If fact I played the whole over in complete control, one reared up, nice backwards defence, left a wider one and rolled the other out to cover. The manager who was now umpiring smiled at me as he changed end and gave me a nod of approval.

And here the first batting lesson kicks in. I switched off, relaxed. First ball next over our other batsman worked a single and we jogged a run. I took guard, some 14 year old was bowling, I hadn't paid attention to his first ball, and in my head it was silent, no reminding myself to move the front foot.

Sods law, if he had missed I would have switched on again, but he bowled a beauty. I saw it swinging in, tried to defend, no foot movement, cleaned me up. Gutted.

I also bowled 4 overs on the bounce which I didn't expect. Some dross and some good stuff. I was utterly shagged on Sunday.

I'm playing again this week. I have to get a run......
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Onwards and upwards Reps - at least it wasn't a golden duck!
Bend it like Repka

After all the joking up to this point I'll try not to turn this into a trumpet blowing exercise as things took an unexpected turn yesterday.

Out of a score of 142, I top scored with 24.

I'm a bit shocked myself. On Friday I had another go against the bowling machine, and felt reasonably confident, but I was still focusing on not getting a duck again, rather than thinking about boundaries.

After my stock forward defensive 1st ball, I realised their bowler was maybe only pacewise in the low 50's. Second ball he gave me some width and I just guided it through the covers for 4. I don't know who was more shocked, me, the bowler or my team.

The only downside of it all was my body. I've overdone it with my knee in the last week so it was hurting before I even started. As I wasn't expecting a long bat I didn't do any stretches, I just sat in a chair and chatted. My groin started hurting after about 4 overs and was really hurting by the end. By the time I was out I was in so much pain it was partly a relief! The poor lad who was batting with me had to work his running around my medical needs. I sent him back from halfway twice to runs he could have fast jogged just because I couldn't face sprinting. :lol:

For the record I was out to a bloody full toss. My eyes lit up, but I caught it too high on the bat and just swatted it to midwicket.
Bend it like Repka

Oh and to prove it was my day, I bowled 2 overs of absolute dross, but still clean bowled someone for a wicket with virtually my only straight ball. :lol:
orbital
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by orbital »

So my son was playing last night U13's, they needed 20 from the last over and he is facing, 6,2 then next ball runs his partner out going for 2, and does the same with the next player coming in, the umpire comes over (I am scoring) and says he could of given my son out as he ran his partners out on purpose, now I have never heard of this rule and having searched google for ways of getting out have not seen this mentioned, pretty sure its done regularly to get back on strike, was he talking b*ll***s?

It was academic anyway as although he hit the next for 4 needed a 6 of the last, but was a dot ball!