Cricket Season

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: Cricket Season

Post by Slacking student »

orbital wrote:So my son was playing last night U13's, they needed 20 from the last over and he is facing, 6,2 then next ball runs his partner out going for 2, and does the same with the next player coming in, the umpire comes over (I am scoring) and says he could of given my son out as he ran his partners out on purpose, now I have never heard of this rule and having searched google for ways of getting out have not seen this mentioned, pretty sure its done regularly to get back on strike, was he talking b*ll***s?

It was academic anyway as although he hit the next for 4 needed a 6 of the last, but was a dot ball!
Talking utter b*llocks, no it's not in the spirit of the game but who cares about that. Play to win. Same as not walking, teach your son to never ever to do that.

Only 9 ways of getting out in cricket as they recently scrapped the handled ball dismissal in the laws of the game, which now comes under obstructing the field.

Bowled
Caught
LBW
Run out
Stumped
Retired
Timed Out
Obstructing the field
Hit Ball Twice
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

I think there are a few "twists" in junior cricket I have been told of coming to the end of an innings.

Players have to retire at 25 but this does not apply to numbers 10 and 11 who can bat on, so there have been some cases I believe of children deliberately getting out to let the best players carry on.

What your lad did considering the match situation hardly fits that gamesmanship.

It's been hard enough to get my lot to put double figures together until the last few weeks, worrying about the luxury of who stays in would be lovely.

After 4 defeats (2 close games we could have won and 2 hammerings) we finally won on Monday night. What a relief. The parents had been chanting for my head, the children had been asking their agents to look for other teams and the board had been having meetings. It's a tough business management.
orbital
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by orbital »

Bend it like Repka wrote:I think there are a few "twists" in junior cricket I have been told of coming to the end of an innings.

Players have to retire at 25 but this does not apply to numbers 10 and 11 who can bat on, so there have been some cases I believe of children deliberately getting out to let the best players carry on.

What your lad did considering the match situation hardly fits that gamesmanship.

It's been hard enough to get my lot to put double figures together until the last few weeks, worrying about the luxury of who stays in would be lovely.

After 4 defeats (2 close games we could have won and 2 hammerings) we finally won on Monday night. What a relief. The parents had been chanting for my head, the children had been asking their agents to look for other teams and the board had been having meetings. It's a tough business management.
Yep we are in a similar situation, we play in a Middlesex league with some fantastic teams and players, our team is a little Village so we struggle getting players, I have been lumbered with running the under 13's, and my son who is 11 plays for the u15s as well, however we have won 2 matches this season, where as we had not won a match in the previous 2 seasons! My son did score 63, but we don't have retirements as it is rare we complete the 20 overs!! Under 15's Match tonight, we have been smashed in every match this year, happy days!!!
Bend it like Repka

Cricket has not only given me a new respect for team sport managers, having experienced the stresses it brings at even U11/U12 level, but also for match officials.

Obviously I umpire junior matches and naturally I have made a few mistakes. Most notably giving my mates daughter out LBW last week. I'm so wrapped up in the game, my lot were chasing a total but she was hit plumb on middle on the rear pad. However as her dad pointed out to me afterwards the bowler was coming round the wicket so the ball pitched outside the line of the stumps. I know this now of course, I've watched cricket all my life, but in the heat of the moment.....She hasn't talked to me for a week.

Worse still I gave her dad out by mistake on Saturday as well so I'm pissing off the whole family. :lol:

It's not bloody easy all I can say. Their bowler was pretty pacy, and very close to no balling all the time. By the time I've looked up from his foot the ball was hitting my mates pads in front of the stumps. Unfortunately I didn't see the thick inside edge first. Ooops.

I'm starting a campaign for DRS is club and junior cricket.
Slacking student

Just use the one of the old classics:

"just sliding down leg"

"pitched outside leg"

"going over the top"

"hit him outside of off"

There's an umpire around our parts that proudly claims to have only given 5 LBWs in a season once. As a batsman it's great stuff. His words are "I come to watch you bat not him bowl"
Bend it like Repka

Slacking student wrote:Just use the one of the old classics:

"just sliding down leg"

"pitched outside leg"

"going over the top"

"hit him outside of off"

There's an umpire around our parts that proudly claims to have only given 5 LBWs in a season once. As a batsman it's great stuff. His words are "I come to watch you bat not him bowl"
I know, I have turned down plenty. I hate cheating though so honesty takes over.
NottingHammer6
Has liked: 1 like

Post by NottingHammer6 »

Slacking student wrote:Just use the one of the old classics:

"just sliding down leg"

"pitched outside leg"

"going over the top"

"hit him outside of off"
Or my personal favourite "I'd be guessing"
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

One of the things I hate about club cricket. I call it as I see it and am never afraid to give our better batsmen out, no matter the circumstances. We've had so many shouts turned down this season , which as a keeper, I can vouch that 90% of them were as plumb as you like. I don't give my Saturday's for some twat who knows the rules not having the balls to enforce them in order for his team to gain an advantage.
Slacking student

Home ground track for Saturdays game. Shame I'm injured and just drinking at the moment as she looked flat

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bend it like Repka

What a few days for me in junior cricket.

On Sunday my 7 year old played her first game. We were playing an U9 side that had won all it's games this season, so was always going to be a in at the deep end start for our lot. In softball cricket you get 4 overs per pair and only swap ends when you are out.

To cut a long summary short she was always facing 8 and 9 year old boys bowling faster than anything she has faced, was only bowled out once and scored two runs off the bat which was pretty good going I think. Better still when she bowled struggled 1st over but second over only one wide and last ball she clean bowled the biggest lad in their team off his legs. I was over the moon.

Last night my under 12s. They batted 1st, scored 118. I though we were going to fall short as kept losing wickets during the chase and we were falling behind on run rate. I've done a lot of work on their batting and we are batting deeper now, one lad has improved massively last few weeks which is very rewarding and we kept going.

Needed over 30 off the last 4 and 10 to win off the last over with 3 wickets left. 5 singles off the first 5 balls and then my number 9 smashed a 4 off the last ball to draw the game. As exciting a match as I've seen in any cricket let alone junior. Not easy trying to umpire when your heart is going like the clappers!

I bloody love cricket.
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

Hoped you bollocked the No9 for not hitting a six :D
Bend it like Repka

swash wrote:Hoped you bollocked the No9 for not hitting a six :D
Yeah, he's dropped next game, I gave him the hairdryer at the end. E mailed his mum that her son was a complete and utter failure.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Haven’t posted for a while as I’ve been busy.

Unfortunately my league season is over for 2018 as I’ve been sent out to Madrid for work for a month and then we (West Ham) bizarrely have 3 3pm kick offs in a row for the final 3 games! I’m hopeful to get a couple of Sunday friendlies in just to play a little more as I’ve felt in as good a touch as I have for a long time!

I played just 5 games, only batted 3 times and averaged 10, I bat as a tailender and every time I’ve gone in I’ve had to try and hit big as we’ve needed about 20-30 off an over or two. With the ball though, which is what I’m focused on as a leg spinner, I’m averaging 12.33 with an economy of 4.35 which is by far the best average I’ve had.

That said, when I field I love to throw myself around in the field if needed, diving on the hard ground which is just getting harder at the moment is not ideal, so maybe good to not be playing!
hammer etc
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by hammer etc »

Watching the women T20 this afternoon and they said Kathryn Cross who plays for Lancashire and England is the daughter of our David Cross. Hope she is a hammer!
Billy_Boy
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by Billy_Boy »

I've been hopeless all season. Highest score (so far, at least) of 30-odd, a couple of acceptable spells with the ball (2 for a few on two occasions).

My favoured bat went dead mid-innings on Sunday. :(
Bend it like Repka

Our junior festival last week. The old phrase catches win matches.

We must have dropped the opposition about 8 or 9 times, all easy catches. Their openers put on 70 and hit everything in the air, so many dropped between fielders, and when they didn't we dropped them. Countless swings and close misses.

Getting kids to listen can be hard work. Our player was standing at point, but too deep. I asked him to come in 10 paces. I got 3 (this is a usual thing). Next ball the catch went to exactly where I asked him to stand. He was still 7 paces too deep. I told him to come closer. Two overs time, same bowler, same shot. Catch to point, he's back in his early position too deep again. Ball falls 7 paces short again.

I look to the skies and want to scream.

They ended up scoring 160. We were all out for 125, only 7 balls from the draw.

Probably the most painful game of cricket I've seen in my life. :cry:
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

After many years of mos management and trying to concentrate on bringinging in big time Charlie players instead of concentrating on the excellent amount of great young cricket clubs and schools in Surrey and ignoring the youth that we have in Surrey

It’s great to see Surrey finally win the county championship and do it with a young set of lads and a few experienced lads too :thup:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

sicknote wrote:After many years of mos management and trying to concentrate on bringinging in big time Charlie players instead of concentrating on the excellent amount of great young cricket clubs and schools in Surrey and ignoring the youth that we have in Surrey

It’s great to see Surrey finally win the county championship and do it with a young set of lads and a few experienced lads too :thup:
With their budget, it was about time tbf.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

They kept spunking the budget on one big overseas player or has been mugs like pietersen, him playing for Surrey was like West Ham signing el hadj diouf, sickening to see

Hoping they concentrate on the development and create a team ethic to build on this season

We should be competitive most seasons but haven’t been
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Essex giving the Champions a run for their money at the Oval.

5 wickets required for the visitors and hopefully chase a total of around 150.