England Cricket Thread 2018

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Re: England Cricket Thread 2018

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Bend it like Repka wrote:
Would you rather we lose 3 - 0 then?
Yeah, I think I would.
Bend it like Repka wrote:I'd rather they showed some spirit and save us from utter humiliation.
We've already been humiliated by losing to one of the weakest test sides in the world.
Bend it like Repka wrote:We have real competition for bowling places.
We really dont. We still rely heavily on Broad and Anderson, the back-up bowlers either don't produce or get injured.

Bend it like Repka wrote:We probably would have gone into the first test with Jennings opening and Bairstow at 3.
We still might given the scrambled thinking behind squad and team selection of late.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:
Yeah, I think I would.
Well that's your choice, but that's like saying you'd rather see a West Ham side 6 - 0 down at half time lose 12 - 0 than at least win the second half 1 - 0 to complete their punishment.

I never get that logic. People have paid good money to go out there, they deserve a performance. I want to see players responding.

You seem to have forgotten some of the famous Ashes whitewashes where the players minds were literally on the plane rather than the pitch in the 5th tests. It was humiliating as an England fan. I'd rather have some fight thank you.
westham,eggyandchips wrote:We really dont. We still rely heavily on Broad and Anderson, the back-up bowlers either don't produce or get injured.
In the Ashes we will have Woakes/Woods and Curran fighting for one place. I'd call that competition.
westham,eggyandchips wrote:We still might given the scrambled thinking behind squad and team selection of late.
I think if they pick Jennings again even they realise their credibility will be shot beyond all repair.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Apologies for my late post regarding the Gabriel - Root spat - Good on the England Captain in not letting Gabriel's insults get to him - Gabriel is now being charged by the ICC over his homophobic comment .

Joe Root , modern day hero if you ask me . :thup:
Bend it like Repka

It's funny isn't it. Root probably just made it as an off the cuff comment about how pathetic his sledging was, and it's become a much bigger thing.

I'm not sure he intended to be a gay rights activist, but it's working out that way for him.

Edit, I've just watched the footage and I'm probably doing Root a dis-service. He properly pulls Gabriel on the comment.

Fair play. :thup:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

I've caught very little cricket of late since I binned off my sky sports subscription, but it seems the same old problems for England are still there as BILR has pointed out - we can't handle fast bowling on hard, fast pitches, and our management have no real long term plan and are chop changing the team around haphazardly, hoping against hope that they'll magically fall upon the right combination to win test matches.

The Sri Lanka series worked because we went with a plan - 3 spinners on pitches that will spin. In the West Indies we needed fast bowlers, it''s taken us until the series was lost to play a quick.

Our saving grace against Australia in the summer will be that our conditions will naturally nullify the full effect of their fast bowlers, and that they wont be able to handle our swing bowling, but it will mask over our continuing problems that don't look like they're about to be fixed.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Re: England Cricket Thread 2019

Post by wolf359 »

Decent start by WI in the 1st odi, scoring relatively slowly but only one down.

Shouldn't this thread by renamed - 2019?
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

100 for Gayle, looked completely out of touch at the start, was dropped on 9. This is a road though and England should be able to chase down a big score.
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

They're going to need a bigger bag at this rate.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

England chasing 361 to win. 23 sixes in the WI innings.
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

One to forget for the bowlers. Plunkett, Wood and Moeen not at the races today.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

smuts wrote:One to forget for the bowlers. Plunkett, Wood and Moeen not at the races today.
It was a road on a tiny ground with the wind favouring the short boundary. Lets see how England bat before we judge.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Several 'chunky lads' (David Lloyd) on the WI side, they don't look like international athletes.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Ton for Roy, with a six off 65 balls, making up for the Gayle drop, nice stuff. I'd give him a go in the Tests at 3.
smuts

Post by smuts »

wolf359 wrote: It was a road on a tiny ground with the wind favouring the short boundary. Lets see how England bat before we judge.
Wasn't judging at all...just said it's a game the bowlers will want to forget and some of them struggled a bit. It must be hard for cricketers to get months off for the winter and get straight back into the groove. :thup:

Roy making up for dropping Gayle.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Great knock from Roy. Root going well at the moment.
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 89 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

Despite all those sixes Gayle still got to his century 35 balls slower than Roy. The old fella doesn't like running anymore.
wolf359

Re: England Cricket Thread 2019

Post by wolf359 »

England win by 6 wickets, Joe Root with the easiest 100 he'll ever score, never broke a sweat despite getting it at slightly more than a run a ball. Out slogging a marginal high one with one needed.

Again on this ground on Friday, should be another 350 odd job.
Bend it like Repka

England are going to have to start thinking if Roy should open in the Ashes. Even if he blasts an 80 every third innings and fails in the other 2 it will be better than Jennings.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Bend it like Repka wrote:England are going to have to start thinking if Roy should open in the Ashes. Even if he blasts an 80 every third innings and fails in the other 2 it will be better than Jennings.
Our Nans would be better than Jennings.

Roy as a test batsman??? I guess the same was said of Buttler and he is doing ok.

Was a bit of stroll last night for our batsmen due to Roy's great innings, they played it our very professionally, boring to watch the last ten or so overs, but very professional. Would have liked them to put their foot down a little purely to smash them and for entertainment value.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1080 likes
Total likes: 1395 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Cracking result yesterday... we are a really impressive unit.

Got to feel T Curran will play the next game. We don't need two full blooded quicks... someone who can take pace off the ball and bowl an accurate slow ball can often be a huge asset. Stokes was the only one who did that well yesterday.

Roy to open in the Ashes? Difficult one... it's a different kettle of fish opening in the long form. Gayle did it for years without breaking a sweat and Warner transitioned across quickly enough... so the top ones can do it. Nobody else has done enough or looks good enough short term so maybe time to give him a go. We should beat the Aussies, even with an experimental opening pair.