England Cricket Thread 2018

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: England Cricket Thread 2018

Post by Slacking student »

Video showing all the drops by the England slip cordon in this series.

Watch if you want your blood pressure to increase markedly

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Root has gone backwards in his batting over the last 18 months. Awful shot then Pope gave it "Hold my beer" straight after.

Jennings is not good enough at this level, he was bought back out of desperation and it's failed miserably. Cook is only there based on his past achievements and the fact that there is hardly anyone else.

We're still going to be 2-1 up but this is a real battering and has probably ended at least one England career in the process.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Bayliss and Farbrace have done incredible work with the T20 and ODI side, and should 100% carry on

Maybe it’s time for a change in the Test team management. Knee jerk?
Slacking student

Pretty damning this

jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Nesticles wrote:Bayliss and Farbrace have done incredible work with the T20 and ODI side, and should 100% carry on

Maybe it’s time for a change in the Test team management. Knee jerk?
Didn't bayliss announce he is leaving at some point?

I'm not sure this is a coaching problem to be fair. We don't have the batsman and those we have are too attacking, which is fine when you're on top but when you're under the cosh you need people to grind out a score. Who do we have like that? Pope doesn't look like a test cricketer to me. He tries to play at every ball. I feel his career may be fleeting like Mark Lathwell.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Slacking student wrote:Video showing all the drops by the England slip cordon in this series.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bloody hell.

Some of them are like watching my missus try to catch a ball.

Honestly, I can't believe some of them.

The one in the middle where Woakes looks like he's saying to them "what the f*** is wrong with you c****, put your hands up and catch it" says it all.

That second test has papered over all the cracks in this team.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Ton for Buttler :thup:

Finally a few of our batsmen decide to show some application.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

A well deserved ton - Buttler is one of those players who if given a run in the test side can become a mainstay - his problem is that he is perceived as a wickwtkeeper/batter but this shows he could be in for just his batting?

I hope Pope gets a run as I reckon he could make it.

The likes of Jennings and other openers need to learn to concentrate at the crease and build gradually, it’s not all about fancy shots in Test Matches.

I am keeping up with the game via TMS at Bologna airport - much to the bemusement of the locals!!
smuts

Post by smuts »

What a spell from Bumrah.
smuts

Post by smuts »

All back tomorrow.... at least we restored a bit of pride this afternoon and Buttler showed he can rein himself in a bit.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Butler and Stokes have at least shown they can bat like test players.

Both Cook and Jennings need to go
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

I do wonder if Cook would be better with a better partner, there’s currently a lot of pressure on him to do well and stick around - the issue is that 12 people have been tried and it keeps being a similar problem. Now Bairstow is injured, my idea of him as an opener looks unlikely in this series. Ultimately though we look like we need to find 2 openers. Maybe though give Cook the last 2, don’t take him away this winter, then either give him time at county level to get back into it - or if not we find a permanent replacement.

I feel though for the likes of Malan and Pope (and even Root to an extent) because they’re all having to come in much earlier than they should. I saw something on BBC today which said Pope bats 6 in first class cricket and had never come in to bat before the 20 something over before. He’s had to in all 3 innings he’s had so far! We’re currently asking for 3 and 4 to almost be an opening batsman.

At the other end, should Broad face a spell out too? In this series he has the worst average and worst strike rate of all our bowlers, and contributes absolutely nothing with the bat any more. If Curran comes in for him, we then strengthen the lower order batting which unfortunately is needed, whilst having a different type of bowler in a left armer.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Aaron has just guaranteed a Broady wonder spell in the next test.....as soon as anyone raises the subject he then has one of those sessions where he rips through the opposition. :D

That 8 for 15 against Australia will long in the memory.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

aaronhammer wrote:I do wonder if Cook would be better with a better partner, there’s currently a lot of pressure on him to do well and stick around .....
He probably would but, I feel that we'd be best served by bringing through a new 1, 2 and 3. If you're any good, you should be making your test debut in your late teens or early twenties, not when you're pushing thirty,
aaronhammer wrote:At the other end, should Broad face a spell out too? In this series he has the worst average and worst strike rate of all our bowlers, and contributes absolutely nothing with the bat any more.
This is a tricky one. He has periods when he doesn't take many wickets but, most of the time, he's still pretty economical. However, he also has the goldenest of golden spells when he single-handedly wins test matches. These don't seem to come along as often as they used to and you're absolutely right with respect to his batting but ...... you never know when the next golden spell is going to come along.

We do have a big problem though. Anderson isn't going to bail out the team for ever and we do need to figure out what we're going to do at both the top and bottom of the order.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Slacking student wrote:Video showing all the drops by the England slip cordon in this series.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I remember reading in KP's book on how they used to have to apologise to the whole team when catches went down. I wonder if the new era of snowflakes have to do the same?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Spare a thought for the cricket mad kid who's father got them a pair of tickets for today at Trent bridge.

There will be one.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Well, they shouldn't really be selling day 5 tickets in advance. They never used to.

In any case, Notts are selling tickets for today for a tenner. For a days play that could be over in one ball, and in all truth probably wont last more than a few overs.

Bad darts in all honesty, why not just open the gates to everyone and encourage them to get to the bar?

Also, did anyone else snigger like a schoolboy at our tail getting Bumrah'd?
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

Notts have seen sense now

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45268215" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Slacking student

Adil Rashid in this #ENGvIND series.

3 Tests
7 wickets at 26.71 in a series dominated by the seamers
Averages higher than Cook, Jennings and Pope with the bat

Why is he some people's fall guy?
smuts

Post by smuts »

Rashid deserves to stay in but Moeen has just scored a double ton so there will be calls for him to be reinstated.

Rory Burns is being spoken about as replacing Jennings. The constant 100 - 4s have to stop. Pope is too far up the order for starters.

One to forget for Root. Stokes may have contributed but it sends out the wrong message for me especially as Curran had done really well so far and sticking them in to bat well and truly bit him on the arse.