England Cricket Thread 2018

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Re: England Cricket Thread 2018

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I love the red & white ball forms, but nothing quite like a tight test match.

Great test match this one, some great cricket played. Excellent win away from home for us, plus some great finds as well meaning more depth to the squad.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

steps wrote:And to think we were at sea for a decent spin bowler only about 18 months ago. :D
To be fair, we weren't so much "at sea", it was more that they were relying too much on Moeen Ali as our sole frontline spinner, when he's really a batting all rounder who can spin well, especially on dry, hard, non turning Aussie roads.
steps
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by steps »

sendô wrote: To be fair, we weren't so much "at sea", it was more that they were relying too much on Moeen Ali as our sole frontline spinner, when he's really a batting all rounder who can spin well, especially on dry, hard, non turning Aussie roads.
He took a lot of stick when he first came into the England fold though didn’t he?

The talk was back then the only way he could get wickets is when batsmen went after him.

He’s definitely improved.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Oh yes, Moeen has improved no end. I was more making the point that we were expecting too much of him - to hold down an end in Australia whilst our batsmen were floundering and our seamers were struggling to take wickets is no easy task.
steps

Post by steps »

Agree Sendo.

Anyone try for Ashes tickets at The Oval today on the Surrey CC website?

Absolute clusterf**k of epic proportions!

Worst experience I’ve ever had of buying tickets. Ended up giving up after two hours and buying tickets for day three at Old Trafford.
westhamgardner
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by westhamgardner »

steps wrote:Agree Sendo.

Worst experience I’ve ever had of buying tickets. Ended up giving up after two hours and buying tickets for day three at Old Trafford.
I managed at 3pm this afternoon, cost me a ton per ticket as well :shock:
steps

Post by steps »

3pm? Wow, fair play to you mate.

Just had a look on their site and seems to be loads of availability for day 4 (and day 5), so happy days. 8-)
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

If you get a ticket for day 5 and the test match is finished, do you get a refund?

I don't think I would ever buy a ticket for day 5 now, test match cricket has changed. Plus when they have gone to day 5 there always appears to be lots of seats available.
steps

Post by steps »

Clacton-ammer wrote:If you get a ticket for day 5 and the test match is finished, do you get a refund?

I don't think I would ever buy a ticket for day 5 now, test match cricket has changed. Plus when they have gone to day 5 there always appears to be lots of seats available.
Never bought a day 5 ticket in advance apart from once in 2009 when we entered the Lord’s ballot and didn’t get the tickets we wanted but were offered day 5. Bought them as we thought it was better than nothing, it turned out rather well as the Aussies needed about 120 odd to win and we needed about 6 wickets IIRC.

Swann and Flintoff battered them and cleaned up by lunch time. It was the first time we’d beaten Aus st Lord’s in 80 years. We was in the pub by 1pm, and got a 50% refund cheque in the post a few days later. 8-)
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

JImmy is having a rest and sitting out the third test, Stuart Broad going to replace him
Sam Curran injured and replaced by Bairstow who will bat 3 but Foakes keeps the gloves
Hindley Hammer
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Hindley Hammer »

steps wrote:Agree Sendo.

Went on the website at 8.55am, put in a queue. Finally got to login at 11:15am. Got tickets. Happy days :D
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Personally, I'd have Bairstow opening With Burns. Thats the future.
Bend it like Repka wrote:Bairstow doesn't have the temperament or technique to open.
Technically he's arguably our best batsmen. When you bat at 3 for England your basically opening anyway.
NottingHammer6
Has liked: 1 like

Post by NottingHammer6 »

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/eng ... ction.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Post by sicknote »

Going along nicely at the moment Stokes 50 up, and Bairstow closing in on a century

So whilst thinking is this normal for columbo, I checked , and all recent first innings are in excess of 320, most are in the 300’s but there’s been one in the 400’s and India hit 622 , all since 2012 only first innings totals,

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... ype=ground" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Post by sicknote »

As I typed that Jonny Ton up :thup:
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Loved the angry celebration. So much better than someone who is just happy and smiling. Nothing like releasing a bit of raw frustration/anger at ones critics
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

England looking a bit short on runs now, 255-5 as I type. Could do with another 150 from the lower order (might still happen)

6 now, we are just too aggressive and throw wickets away. A better team will capitalise on this harshly.
steps

Post by steps »

Looks like Bairstow could be our new number 3.

Not sure how you factor Curran back into the team though, for me he has to play. Such a talent.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Axe Broad, also Woakes has outperformed Broad as well with both bat and ball when he's played recently.

Competition for places has to be a good thing.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1080 likes
Total likes: 1393 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Now Cook isn't in the team we seem to being seeing more of Root doing things his way (which is closer to Morgan than Cook in captaincy)... which is resulting in some absolutely fantastic cricket. Maybe he was worried about offending his old skipper by going too far away from the leadership skills he has run the team by.

This series has been fantastic - 2 teams finding their way, however England really have been consistent and done a fantastic job in these conditions.

Is Bairstow our new number 3? Based on today you can certainly say he has it in his locker. Give him a sustained run and see what he can do... he is a quality batsman when his head is in it.

For once, this series has resulted in more questions than answers... however these have been 'who do we leave out?', not 'how do we plug those gaps?'

With regards to this match... be nice to see if the tail can wag a little. Another 40 - 50 runs will give us a very competitive total.