Rugby union 2018/19

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Re: Rugby union 2018/19

Post by DasNutNock »

Turning up the heat already. Lovely work to go 16-3 up.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Hat trick against les Bleus without 30 on the clock. Johnny May’s on some screaming form.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

England toying with the worst French team of my life. They'll get a couple more and hit 60
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

wolf359 wrote:England toying with the worst French team of my life. They'll get a couple more and hit 60
Looking like 44-8, TBH - too many replacements to maintain any cohesion.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Leek-nudgers up next, for their Cup Final. Win this and you’d have to assume the Slam’s England’s.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Only game of Rugby I care about, beat Wales but lose the rest and I'd be a happy man.

Anyone but Wales
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

That hit on Bastreaud by Courtney Lawes at the hour mark :shock:
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:That hit on Bastreaud by Courtney Lawes at the hour mark :shock:
Was a big hit on a huge man , great to see but will need to improve to be this good

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

What has happened to French rugby?. Whatever you think of them they always used to have such a good team and were terrific to watch, but it appears to me, they haven't been a good team now for about 10 years ? Can any of the rugby aficionados enlighten me ?
Patito

Post by Patito »

Puff Daddy wrote:What has happened to French rugby?. Whatever you think of them they always used to have such a good team and were terrific to watch, but it appears to me, they haven't been a good team now for about 10 years ? Can any of the rugby aficionados enlighten me ?

They actually don't have a terrible pool of talent. They change their team every time they lose though, for example, I think there were 5/6 changes to their line-up this weekend. No rhyme or reason to it at all either.

Their forwards are oafs as well, the modern game is about speed AND power. All-round athleticism.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

... and is it me, or are Italy getting worse ? If so, is it worth re-vamping the 6 Nations tournament in some way as actually I am now beginning to find it a bit of a turn off. Whilst of course, it is great to see pulsating matches between the home nations going full thrust at each other, but seeing them all whoop the Italians arses for an easy win, is getting a bit boring. I know it is up to them to try and improve, but have they the massive funding England rugby gets, which I think is the most in the world
Patito

Post by Patito »

They seem to be, Puff yeah. I think Georgia would make more of a fist of things if they took Italy's place.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

Yeah the Italians have gone backwards. A decade or so ago they looked to be getting there, regularly pipping Scotchland to that coveted 5th place, and beating the Welsh and Irish on occasion too. Nowadays though they just get thrashed at a canter every game.

It feels like the French are going the same way. They've not won the 6N since 2010 and don't look about to do so again any time soon. They won the wooden spoon in 2013.

Massive improvement from England so far on last years debacle. The trip to Cardiff in two weeks is the real acid test, as we know they'll play at about 200% of their usual performance because it's England at home. Beat them and we're probably on for the slam, which I'd never have imagined before the tourney. I'd still have Wales as slight favourites to win the whole thing though.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Italy have actually improved.Thing is Scotland, Wales,Ireland and ,especially, England have improved more, and so the gap has increased.
l think it's crying out for a 2div Northern hemisphere set up, maybe even a 2 or 3 div Worldwide set up, seeing the number of home fans that travel the world watching cricket, and the availability of discount air travel, that doesn't seem so ridiculous an idea as all that.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Puff Daddy wrote:What has happened to French rugby?. Whatever you think of them they always used to have such a good team and were terrific to watch,
Going back to 1971 I remember one of our Teachers asking us which team we all wanted Wales to beat during the Rugby 5 Nations - fully expecting us to shout out ' England ! ' , she was surprised to hear us all shout out in unison ' France , Miss ! ' - it was the Golden Age of Welsh Rugby and France were our closest rivals .
France were brilliant during the 1980s - Serge Blanco etc but for a Nation with a bigger rugby following than New Zealand , Wales , Australia , Ireland and Scotland combined they look poor value these past few years .
The Old Man of Storr

Slacking student wrote:Only game of Rugby I care about, beat Wales but lose the rest and I'd be a happy man.

Anyone but Wales

You have cut me to the quick , sir .

Now I know what it's like to be English at every World Cup up here in Scotland .
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Tenbury wrote:Italy have actually improved.Thing is Scotland, Wales,Ireland and ,especially, England have improved more, and so the gap has increased.
l think it's crying out for a 2div Northern hemisphere set up, maybe even a 2 or 3 div Worldwide set up, seeing the number of home fans that travel the world watching cricket, and the availability of discount air travel, that doesn't seem so ridiculous an idea as all that.
I'm not so sure, personally. I used to be an avid follower of the 6 Nations, but with two of the participant nation's not offering much resistance to the four home countries dominance, it is now a four home countries party. I think the competition is in need of a bit a re-vamp and it is important not to lose sight of the fact that English rugby receives the highest amount of state funding of any international rugby playing nation. New Zealand's might be higher, but with a population of just over 5 million inhabitants paying into their exchequer, I doubt it
The Old Man of Storr

Puff Daddy wrote:it is important not to lose sight of the fact that English rugby receives the highest amount of state funding of any international rugby playing nation. New Zealand's might be higher, but with a population of just over 5 million inhabitants paying into their exchequer, I doubt it
State funding ? Which state is that then ?
Here was I thinking that the state governed us all , Wales , Scotland , Norther Ireland and England , aren't we suppose to be the British Isles , so why would one of the 4 countries that make up Great Britain receive more than the other three I wonder ?

Shouldn't each country receive the same amount of money ?
Patito

Post by Patito »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Shouldn't each country receive the same amount of money ?
Yeah, if their populations were the same.
The Old Man of Storr

Patito wrote:
Yeah, if their populations were the same.

But if we're all to remain as part of the UK shouldn't the large English population contribute towards Scottish and Welsh Rugby then - or are you happier with English Rugby being given better facilities , more sportsmen to choose from etc - after all you have 53.5m living in England while Wales has a population of 3.1m - how many of that 3.1m are English , I'd bet almost a third if not more , that dilutes the population from which we can pick 15 players even more yet you want to keep all that money to yourselves ?

And yet the only British born man to have won the Tour De France is Welsh and the only British man to have won Wimbledon in recent years is Scottish . Perhaps we don't need your money after all ? :)