Autumn Internationals

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Re: Autumn Internationals

Post by the pink palermo »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:What a magnificent game of Rugby.

Comhghairdeas Éire :thup:
Brutal, uncompromising, athletic, powerful, skilful, it had the lot.

First game of Rugby I've enjoyed watching in years.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Junco Partner wrote:That's Ireland de-facto World Champions then 8-)

Six Nations champs beat the Quad-Nations and World champions....comfortably.

Rory Best: Lions captain, 4 times Six Nations champ (incl 2 Grand Slams), only Irish Captain ever to win over New Zealand, Australia and South Africa....

Imagine an Englishman done that...

...FFS Liz, where's the Knighthood?
I wouldn't even vaguely be surprised if Ireland win the WC. They'll need to be at their best, and keep Sexton in good health, but they've absolutely got everything required to win it.

Martin Johnson beat New Zealand, Australia & South Africa as Captain. Possibly all 3 away, too (Not sure about SA), as well as Captaining the Lions to a tour win over the Saffers.

Add to that a World Cup and a Grand Slam, you can't really question his credentials as the best Captain the NH has ever produced.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Anyway, that Ireland vs NZ game was superb. An absolute slug-fest, though the England game was a bit more exciting as it was unclear who'd win it - Ireland were always going to win yesterday, and they didn't disappoint.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Great victory for Ireland. It's really difficult to know what to make of what that means for the World Cup. End of the a season for the All Blacks. Ireland are a bloody good team though. Hard as nails.

Strange watching England at the moment. I'm not sure whether they are going to click into gear. They are slowly getting the foundations of a really good team but they could do with a bit of better luck around injuries. Their first IV is slowly beginning to take shape. Yesterday I think some of the fringe players raised their hand. But I think we have a great core, but if only we can get a few others back and firing.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Decent performance from England today, though Farrell was lucky to stay on after a clear try saving foul. Good second half again, though - looks like our back row is in good health, as well as our back line, save for Daly, who still doesn’t look right at FB.

Hooper a complete class act, refusing to complain about the decisions that favoured England.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

3 wins out of 4 and a narrow defeat against NZ sets us up well for the Six Nations. Ireland (and the All blacks) still the teams to beat, but on our day can still turn it on. Better than expected IMO. :thup:
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1862 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

DasNutNock wrote:Decent performance from England today, though Farrell was lucky to stay on after a clear try saving foul.
The thing is that this, as did the TV commentators, completely ignores the fact that the Aussie 2nd row should have been yellow carded for the tackle on Daly previously, so probably wouldn't have been on the pitch to have been in that position.

Personally I think Piper had a good game today.
Especially nice to see a ref actually penalise forward passes for a change.
DasNutNock wrote: Good second half again, though - looks like our back row is in good health, as well as our back line, save for Daly, who still doesn’t look right at FB.

Hooper a complete class act, refusing to complain about the decisions that favoured England.
Very good 2nd half, England back row were excellent, Wilson was unlucky not to be MotM, although I do agree that Sinckler was also excellent today.

Daly took his try brilliantly, but under the high ball at FB, he simply isn't good enough.

Hooper did well with his post match interview :thup:
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Sinckler was immense today. Him, May & Underhill have been the players of the Autumns, IMO.

Definitely agree on the forward passes being pinged. Very refreshing. 6N ought to be good, assmuning we can keep our central players fit. Greens still the team to beat.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

Fiji beating france is a cracking result for them, not for france though
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

And The Welsh Juggernaut brushes aside everything in its path , four in a row , four in a row......

Bring on the World Cup .

CYMRU AM BYTH !!
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:And The Welsh Juggernaut brushes aside everything in its path , four in a row , four in a row......

Bring on the World Cup .

CYMRU AM BYTH !!
Quarters at best, I fear. Your first team is excellent, but I don’t think you’ve got the squad depth if you lose any of your key players. It’s a straight shootout between Ireland & the ABs, and I make Ireland the favourites. Scotland could well make the Semis if they keep everyone fit. England should be the other Semi Finalists, assuming no major brain farts along the way.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

DasNutNock wrote:
Quarters at best, I fear. Your first team is excellent, but I don’t think you’ve got the squad depth if you lose any of your key players. It’s a straight shootout between Ireland & the ABs, and I make Ireland the favourites. Scotland could well make the Semis if they keep everyone fit. England should be the other Semi Finalists, assuming no major brain farts along the way.
You're correct regarding the Squad and while I don't think Wales are good enough on the day to win the World Cup they'll fare better than Scotland .

It's going to be a great spectacle whoever wins it .
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

I see another disallowed try for England vs Australia.

On the replay it's clear the ball bounces on the line, so it was out and wasn't a try, but why oh why does it take us scoring, and then the tediousness of the TMO reviewing it? The touch judge is literally there to see if the ball has gone into touch or not.

It feels like there's never a rugby international nowadays where we don't have to put up with this tedium.

Also, that's 6 in a row we've now won against the convicts. I'd make that odds on that they draw us and beat us at the WC now then.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

sicknote wrote:Fiji beating france is a cracking result for them, not for france though
Was at Hartpury enjoying hospitality with the Fiji and Uraguay players prior to their match. Their coach was telling me they fancy their chances this year and have a great squad. Wish I had put money on it.