Sports Personality of the Year 2008

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Re: Sports Personality of the Year 2008

Post by Vic_Watson »

Deserved win for Thomas, But I love Dasher more every time I see her. Hopefully she can bring home gold next year in Doha and end the current femal SPOTY drought.

Brilliant to see the netball girls win too. :thup:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

What I wasn't aware of was this -

Welshman , Geraint Thomas is the first British born cyclist to have ever won the Tour De France .

Now that is some achievement .

Make that 3 people out of 25,000 Kumb members who now follow cycling . :) :thup:

Being one of the few Welshmen on this site I feel as if it's my duty to start following the sport .
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Make that 3 people out of 25,000 Kumb members who now follow cycling .
Fill your boots:

http://kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=167871
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Whitters wrote:
Fill your boots:

http://kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=167871
Oh no , there's more of you than I thought !!! :)

Seriously though , this is a wonderful achievement and I think it's a great sport - I'm fully behind anything that gets youngsters off their Xbox machines and outside doing a sport .

I was quite sporty as a young man - I played football for my school , represented my school in the County Sports at the javelin , played hockey , tennis and golf .
Our son , Dan has aspergers and a couple of other syndromes and while I completely understood his inability to play footie , shinty etc I was determined to find him a sport he could excel in so I enrolled him at our local kayaking club - in his first year at the club he won Young Kayaker Of The Year - you can imagine how proud I felt - he couldn't kick a ball but he could jump from kayak to kayak to kayak out at sea and he could paddle better than anyone his age , better than some of the adults - kayaking is his sport .
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

I'm surprised Lewis Hamilton didn't win it after escaping the slums of Stevenage to become one of the best drivers ever.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:I'm surprised Lewis Hamilton didn't win it after escaping the slums of Stevenage to become one of the best drivers ever.
Bizarrely the BBC don't seem that keen or him, don't promote him much

After the olympics the other year, I thought they were getting paid by Max Whitlock they were pushing him so much
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:I'm surprised Lewis Hamilton didn't win it after escaping the slums of Stevenage to become one of the best drivers ever.
You've not heard that famous football song, "In your Stevenage slums...."

To be fair, he's taken ownership of it and not tried to make excuses, just admitted made a bad choice of words.

I'd hate to be famous and get asked stupid questions in front of millions of people. I'd annoy people every time!
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

He’s not far wrong about the gaff to be fair.