Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by WHU Independent »

Patera: lovely footwork, great range of shots, great chin, top condition but lacking that killer punch/combination.

Ritson: one dimensional, no plan, great chin and inner strength, top jab but no boxing adaptability.

Patera a winner by at least 3 for me. What dugs was the "homie" judge on to have Ritson by 4?
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Watched the Terrence Crawford v Benavidez Jr fight last night. It was a good fight, if not a strange one. Benavidez Jr has such a strange and awkward fighting style. It looked like he was a wrestler the way he stalked Crawford hunched over with his arms raised practically over his head.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Strange division that, lots of top fighters at different stages of their careers but not many are fighting each other, Porter v Garcia is the only one this year. Keith Thurman has been a huge disappointment for me, the bloke never fights, I don't quite believe all the injury talk.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Canelo Álvarez fights Rocky Fielding on 15 December at New York’s Madison Square Garden. Hmm.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Huge height difference. Rocky is a better fighter than the one who got knocked out by Smith, Alvarez is yet to knock out a bigger man at the top level, not even a guant looking, drained and past his best Chavez jnr. Unless Rocky knocks him out he's coming home empty handed.

I can't believe how ridiculous the whole Alvarez thing is getting, he's taking this fight to avoid any of the bigger names at Middleweight, he's blatantly going to fight the past his best David Lemieux after this and then probably take on Jacobs once he's a bit older and slower, Jacobs has beaten Cancer but his body will start to slow down soon. It's been rigged beyond belief so that Goldenboy and now DAZN can use Alvarez as their cashcow, 11 fights in 5 years, how many of them will be against the best, will Charlo even get a look in? It's a joke, Golovkin must be absolutely fuming.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Dazn sign with Goldenboy, surely makes Hearn irrelevant now in their eyes bar Joshua, American audience has no real interest in the rest of his stable
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

This is so typical of the Alvarez and Goldenboy negotiation strategy, this will no doubt really reduce the chance of Rocky landing any potentially concussive punches.

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2018/10/10 ... -fielding/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Nathan Gorman wins again, 14-0, he wants Dubois next, that would be very interesting, I admire the lads confidence to want that fight so early in his career and life, none of the other highly rated British Heavyweights would want to get in the ring with Dubois right now.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

Watched the Frank Warren card on Saturday night at Brentwood Centre. Johnny Garton vs Gary Corcoran was a brilliant fight for the British Title. Garton stopped Corcoran in the 11th. Fight was overshadowed though by a mass brawl in the crowd, seen lots of videos doing the rounds saying it was West Ham v Millwall but this is just very lazy journalism! Johnny Garton had a big Millwall following and Gary Corcoran is a Traveller so do the maths (there were no "West Ham" fighters on the card!).

Anthony Yarde fought another no-hoper and looked average at best, he really needs to step up a level now and how a guy that is so marketable is still fighting at the Brentwood Centre (which was almost empty after the ruck) in his 17th fight is beyond me!
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

A dominant win for Pulev 117-111, 118-110, 115-113. Poor old Hughie had nothing though the cut didn’t help. Pulev is AJ’s next IBF mandatory challenger.

John Ryder KO Sirotkin in the 7th with a body shot. Sirotkin made the early running in the fight but seemed to tire and Ryder overwhelmed him in the 7th. Ryder becomes the mandatory challenger for Callum Smith's WBA world super middleweight title.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Sunny Edwards looked different class on Friday night at the York Hall, defending his WBO European title against Ryan Farrag. The kids movement and countering is something else, I think he could go very far at that weight.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Anyone else get more and more excited the more they see Fury getting fitter. I can't stand Wilder and don't care who beats him as long as he is British. Didn't really think Fury had a chance of getting fit enough but getting more and more hopeful everyday. I wonder if Wilder will try and bulk up to deal with the bigger heavier man.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Yep I already liked Tyson Fury but the more you see him in the build up the better he becomes, his interview on the Joe Rogan podcast was one of the best interviews about a comeback and mental health I have heard in a long time.

Would love him to wipe out Wilder and then give Joshua a boxing lesson. Also his **** talking to Wilder has been entertaining me over the previous couple of weeks. You big dosser
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

I am chuffed for Jon Ryder having come back after a couple of narrow defeats. He looks revitalised.

Can anyone tell me - did Hughie Fury look out of condition? If I was going into that fight I'd have thought he would have looked in better shape.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

I watched both, as you said chuffed for Ryder, looked good and good to see him in the mix for the WBA super middle weight title. Not sure what version but if you are him you'd want the regular as Canelo is fighting for that and if you fight that man the money is life changing.

With regards to Hughie, he looked in decent shape, the problem was he got cut in the 2nd and changed his game plan for the next 3-4 rounds because he thought it would be stopped. Looked good when on the front foot but when he went back to trying to lead Pulev onto the big right hand in a corner he looked one dimensional.

Pulev's jab looks a weapon and won him the fight but the only real time a fighter was hurt was when Hughie backed him up with a right hand in the 8th (I think). Just a shame he didn't jump on him then.

He's still young 24 and will come again but looked a little short on ideas at top level.
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

I didn't think Fury looked in great condition personally. Think he would have struggled against Chisora and Whyte.
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

Pulev vs Povetkin would be a good fight
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Georgee Paris wrote:I didn't think Fury looked in great condition personally. Think he would have struggled against Chisora and Whyte.
FACTS
englebert

Post by englebert »

Hughie is not quite ready for world level. good movement and footwork normally but punches like me!
No doubt the cut hindered him at the weekend. More mental than physical.

At 24 he has time to improve. But will need at least respectable power to make the step up or he will spend all his fights running
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Chisora headlining a PPV

Hearn and Sky continue to rob their legion of casual fans blind