Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Nesticles

Re: Boxing thread

Post by Nesticles »

Joshua would be favourite, but Wilder could easily take him out

If he hurts him, he would finish him
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

Talent wise Wilder doesn't really posess a great deal but Styles make fights and he has the fast hands, the power and the wildness to give AJ nightmares IMO! For me it's a real 50/50 fight if it ever happens !
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Might be a case of who lands first
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Having slept on it, I'm even more gutted. Wilder doesn't seem to have anything other than that lanky powerful swing, it's so frustrating watching him because he often looks clueless in the opening rounds and just waits to land one of his wild swings, although he'll miss plenty along the way, in comical fashion. For the good of the division, he needs to be beaten.
durham city hammer

If Joshua does what Eddie Hearn says he is going to do and fight from now on at 17st 8-9 and no heavier than that then I think it will be very hard for any of the current heavyweights to get close to beating him as he’ll have the perfect combination of size, speed and power. He’s bin far too heavy and cumbersome in his last two fights ! Wilder though for all his lack of natural talent, rawness, wildness etc etc he is a seriously dangerous heavyweight and if anybody is gonna beat AJ it will be him imo !
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

A fully fit Tyson Fury beats Wilder, and AJ would have finished Wilder off yesterday, I was gutted that Ortiz didn't nail him in the eighth when he still looked wobbly. Wilder doesn't appear to ever have much of a game plan other than to eventually connect with one of those crazy swings, last night, when he was missing completely with them, it looked ridiculous, can you imagine Ali, Holmes, a prime Tyson, Lewis, both Klitschkos carrying on like that in the ring? He's one of the most bizarre Heavyweight champions I have ever seen, each time, somehow, he finds a way to knock his opponent out, but before that he often looks like a basketball player that's having a go at playing boxing.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1677 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Did you see the scorecards. All 3 judges had Wilder winning but 3+ rounds. Nelson and the commentator has Oritiz by 3 rounds, and I agreed with them. It would seem that even if he didn't knock Ortiz out, Wilder was destined to win that fight.
durham city hammer

And Wilder without doubt would have finished AJ in the Klitcshko fight ! Don't disagree with what your saying though Jumby he isn't easy on the eye and lacks any natural talent but has fast hands and can seriously bang.
Like I say styles make fights and any heavyweight with fast hands will cause AJ problems, especially a Joshua who comes in at 18st 2 like he did for the Takam fight.
I agree a fully fit and firing Fury beats him and tbh maybe all the current heavyweights but until he actually announces a comeback fight and date rather than constantly spouting off on Twitter then he isn't in the picture for me ! The scoring for the Wilder fight was shocking and yeah pretty clear unless he got ironed out he was winning that fight no matter how well Ortiz boxed !
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Wilder gets so much stick, some deserved

To put it into perspective, Ortiz (who is a disgusting drugs cheat anyway) has been a massively avoided heavyweight for years

Wilder found the punches to get rid of him, which deserves some credit. He didn't need the scorecards, he got the job done himself

I get why Joshua would be a favourite when they meet, but if Wilder hurts him he is going to finish him off. As Durham pointed out, where Klitschko was gun-shy Wilder would finish the job
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

The scorecards were absolutely shocking and a little disturbing really. We've seen Wilder rocked by Molina and now reduced to a wobbly mess by Ortiz, the best opponent he's faced to date. Ortiz, for one reason or another, hadn't faced a top level Heavyweight, and he laboured to a points victory over Malik Scott, although that was a ridiculous fight that should have been stopped, and he took seven rounds to beat a physically and mentally unfit Dave Allen, who had three weeks notice for the fight and turned up looking like a fat Northern doorman, which is exactly all he was at the time. In truth I don't know if Ortiz was that avoided, he just wasn't someone who drew interest from punters, had he smashed Scott and battered Allen, leaving him on the canvas, he'd have been perfectly placed for a fight with Joshua. He didn't impress though. Can you imagine Allen, in that shape/state, in with Joshua? Over in four with a brutal knock out.

Deontay Wilder has only fought one World Champion in 40 fights, that's a f**king ridiculous stat considering he's been the WBC champion for three years. Its even more ridiculous when you realise that that World Champion was Bermane Stiverne, your classic big buck chicken wing eating tub of s**t, the exact kind of boxer that ruins the division. And he was only Champion because he beat Chris Arreola in a fight the WBC deemed worthy of a contest for their vacant belt. I don't think Wilder is a terrible fighter, his record speaks for itself, but he's not a good boxer, lacking in areas that will be exposed, as a, probably more like 50 year old, Cuban did on Saturday.
Slacking student

Fury plays with both Joshua and Wilder
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Swings and roundabouts Jumby

Joshua has been rocked by Whyte, and dropped/almost stopped by a 40 year old gun-shy Klitschko who hadn't fought in 18 months after Fury beat him. You can criticise him as easy as you can criticise Wilder.

All the top heavyweights in this era have huge flaws which are there to be exposed
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2659 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

Slacking student wrote:Fury plays with both Joshua and Wilder
Old Fury - almost certainly. Current Fury - who knows?
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I’ve got a feeling AJ might lose.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1677 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Jumby wrote: and he took seven rounds to beat a physically and mentally unfit Dave Allen, who had three weeks notice for the fight and turned up looking like a fat Northern doorman, which is exactly all he was at the time. ...... Its even more ridiculous when you realise that that World Champion was Bermane Stiverne, your classic big buck chicken wing eating tub of s**t, the exact kind of boxer that ruins the division.
Made me lol and choke on my coffee IRL Jumby - top commentary and analysis!
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Nesticles wrote:Swings and roundabouts Jumby

Joshua has been rocked by Whyte, and dropped/almost stopped by a 40 year old gun-shy Klitschko who hadn't fought in 18 months after Fury beat him. You can criticise him as easy as you can criticise Wilder.

All the top heavyweights in this era have huge flaws which are there to be exposed
True, Joshua is far from the finished article, but he has more to him than Wilder and has accomplished more than him in literally half the time. Being rocked by Whyte, in your 15th pro fight, a fight that you always knew would be a dogfight from the word go, isn't too much to be ashamed of but it was the first time AJ had been exposed as a pro. But then he came back and delivered a clinical KO.

There are videos of Wilder swinging like a playground lunatic, it is bizarre, I've never seen it from a Heavyweight champion before, I've never seen a Heavyweight champion windmilling their arms, the even more bizarre thing is that it has worked for him, 39 ko's and a 100% record. But Ortiz is the only remotely top drawer fighter he has faced, I have serious doubts that he'd have been able to deal with a 38, 39 or 40 year old Klitschko, the bloke was in fantastic condition for the Joshua fight. I think my biggest issue with Wilder is his opponents, Jason Gavern for his 32nd fight, and then his next fight is for the WBC belt against the man I'd described, in detail, earlier, f**king hell :lol: he's just fought, largely, a load of average nobody's.
Slacking student

Canelo has just tested positive for clenbuterol which benefits are:

Burns fat by increasing metabolism
Builds muscle by enhancing muscle protein synthesis
Allows easier breathing

He is apparently blaming contaminated meat in Mexico for the positive test. Must be shopping at the same place as Juan Manuel Marquez.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Lucas Browne had a 6 month when he tested positive for that substance
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

The Alvarez excuse is disgraceful, everybody knows that he does something out of the ordinary to drain weight and then pile it all back on again so fast. As if he doesn't have enough stacked in his favour.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

So Alvarez has got off then, no surprise there. He's too big a cash cow to ban.