Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by York Ham(mer) »

A tough guy, Takam.
Last edited by York Ham(mer) on Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bondsbootlaces
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by bondsbootlaces »

What is takam made of?! Took a lot of punishment and made it a contest but was only ever going to end with a Joshua win
wolf359
Has liked: 1588 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Strange interview from Joshua afterwards, rambling almost Trump like.
westhamgardner
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by westhamgardner »

AJ is becoming more and more unlikeable
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

westhamgardner wrote:AJ is becoming more and more unlikeable
Why?
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

No more stay humble.

I found the fight pretty boring, the whole thing was pretty boring. Hearn has to do better than try and feed people that load of ****. Congratulations to Katie Taylor though.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

What a terrible night of boxing for £20 on Box Office

Either people will keep paying for this rubbish, or Matchroom/Hearn/Sky are going to break the PPV model in this country

Warren is now slowly building a very good stable of fighters. If he gets his act together with BT Sport now they can actually provide a very good alternative to whats shoved down people's throats at the moment with Sky.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

I can't believe people pay for this dross

I have no interest in womans boxing
Dillian Whyte is a diabolical boring boxer
Joshua against a no hoper.

AJ vs Klitschko fair enough, this rubbish not a chance
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

fmgod wrote:I can't believe people pay for this dross

I have no interest in womans boxing
Dillian Whyte is a diabolical boring boxer
Joshua against a no hoper.

AJ vs Klitschko fair enough, this rubbish not a chance

Pretty much exactly what I said to my mates, I had a really decent stream but nearly fell asleep during the Whyte fight, what a tub of **** he is. I know I keep saying it on here but if it's your job get in f**king shape for it, he looks like an oversized baby. That said, I'd love to see him beat Wilder.

I notice that AJ is getting a lot of bad press, he was going to KO Takam eventually, he was going to stop him, the ref just stopped it a little bit too early, it was coming though. Takam wasn't troubling Joshua and both his eyes were f**ked.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

I don't get boxers not being in shape, we at least the full time, decent ranked boxers, it's your job to box and surely doing hours of cardio a day in the ring, they must be eating dreadfully outside it, also when it's your career, better shape your in, more chance of winning, more money etc
twixy

Post by twixy »

Very very poor PPV card, as expected.

I think we also saw just how one dimensional AJ still is. Takam is not going to be stopped early by anyone, he has a very decent chin and rides shots well, and I disagree Jumby, he would have made 12 rounds comfortably. AJ needs to lose some muscle. He was so heavy he was blowing after 4 rounds and got showed people just how easy he is to hit. Unfortunately he has no Plan B. But what he has shown is how far you can get wtih basic boxing attributes and a huge physical presence.

He is still a long long way off the finished article. Wilder, Poventkin and Usyk (if he ever moves up) all give him problems IMO. Prime fury would completely embarrass him if he fought that Saturday night version of AJ.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

twixy wrote:
He is still a long long way off the finished article. Wilder, Poventkin and Usyk (if he ever moves up) all give him problems IMO. Prime fury would completely embarrass him if he fought that Saturday night version of AJ.
I think if Joshua gets tired and hurt, a good finisher like Wilder or Haye will end the fight where as a tentative Klitschko lacked the belief to end it.

Joshua is a problem for most heavyweights though, not a massive fan as he is constantly shoved down our throats but he can and probably will dominate this current era of heavyweights.

Fury should be the number one, but that's on the basis he can recapture form he showed over 2+ years ago by the time he fights again.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I honestly thought Takam was going through the motions prior to the stoppage, one or two more heavy hits to either eye and that would have been that. Not the best showing from AJ but then Wilder has looked awful in a number of fights but doesn't seem to get as much criticism and yet he is till to fight a top name, although I know recently that hasn't been his fault.

Joshua needs to work on his defence and movement as, one of these days, he'll get caught one too many times and that will be that.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

On Tyson Fury, yes, great boxer but let's not get too carried away, Klitschko is the only name he's beaten in his 25 fight career, after that you've got Hammer and Chisora as the next best guys he's fought. Obviously he was supposed to fight Haye but I still think that the 2011/12 Haye would have been too much for him, back then anyway.
twixy

Post by twixy »

Jumby wrote:On Tyson Fury, yes, great boxer but let's not get too carried away, Klitschko is the only name he's beaten in his 25 fight career, after that you've got Hammer and Chisora as the next best guys he's fought. Obviously he was supposed to fight Haye but I still think that the 2011/12 Haye would have been too much for him, back then anyway.
I don't think people got carried away enough for Tyson's achievement, To go to Germany and do what he did got no where close to enough credit. It was one of the greatest performances of a British boxer for some time IMO.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

twixy wrote: I don't think people got carried away enough for Tyson's achievement, To go to Germany and do what he did got no where close to enough credit. It was one of the greatest performances of a British boxer for some time IMO.
At the time I don't think they did, but since his retirement/comeback/retirement/comeback saga you get people talking about him as if he's the best heavyweight in the World, by some distance. Beating Klitschko, on points, without even knocking him down, takes some doing, he completely outboxed him, but it was a pretty forgetful fight, it wasn't a fight of the year contender, it wasn't exciting, I liked it, it was a polished performance, but for many it was a snoozefest. Add to that the fact that Fury did act like a bit of a bellend, before and after the fight, and you can see why he didn't get the credit he deserved. I like him, I want him back and he'll make the division a hell of a lot more interesting, but, for me, he has lots to prove, he needs to beat the best heavyweights, not just one of them.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2651 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

Having seen what I assume is a relatively recent clip of Fury, he is massively out of shape and still appears to be facing mental health issues. I can't imagine he'll be seen in a ring for a while (if at all).
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Don't get why Fury doesn't roid for six months and take some "dodgy" diet pills and then reapply for his license. He won't get tested while he isn't licensed.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Can't wait for Rigo vs Lomachenko, guys a third of the size of Fury! It promises to be a cracking fight, I'm going Loma on points purely because I think his style will win him more of the even rounds, the bloke can box like not many others around.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Anyone on here ever boxed before? I've only done sparring but I'm half tempted to throw myself in and maybe go as far as amateur, although I'm now the wrong side of 30 so may have to just stick to the corporate white collar stuff. I've been put off in the past because roid use seems to be huge among a lot of amateurs my weight, from what I've seen and heard, didn't know if anyone in here has has any experiences or can offer any advice.

Cheers :)