Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by Jumby »

There'll have to be a rematch, Dirrell's uncle is a f**king idiot, shocking decision.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

Worth a shot for Walsh but he is and never will be in the same league as Gervonta Davis. Watched Davis against Pedraza and now that, he will be a great. Davis v Lomachenko will be one of the huge fights next year I reckon. He could do with a couple more before getting in the ring with Lomachenko though.

Watched Terence Crawford v Felix Diaz on Sunday morning. Diaz was made for Crawford's style, kept lunging in with big loopy left hands and Crawford picked him off. Diaz did catch him a couple of times though so he can be hit. Crawford v Indongo yes please!

What's everyone's thoughts on Brook v Spence this weekend?
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

ironstu wrote:What's everyone's thoughts on Brook v Spence this weekend?
Really can't pick a winner. It's a very good fight imo.

If the damage from the GGG fight and coming down to 147 again has affected Brook in any way, I don't think he'll have a chance v Spence. If he is fit and ready to go, it's a very 50-50 fight for me. Brook's best win is a very tight decision over Shawn Porter, whilst Spence has got rid of durable opponents that many top level fighters couldn't but not faced anybody as good as Brook.

I think Brook will get the win in a very tight points decision
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

I'm also struggling to pick it Nesticles!

I don't think it will go the distance, they can both bang so I think it will be stopped in the mid-late rounds but who stops who is another question. If I was to put my neck on the line I'd say Brook stops Spence in rounds 5-7.
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Loved the Behind the Ropes on Spence, very down to earth young man who has a very strict father and role model, two great fighters going at it on Saturday, a genuine 50/50.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I really hope Brook does it, then that would set up a fight with Khan. Khan hasn't fought in over a year now though, what the f**k is he doing?
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

Jumby wrote:I really hope Brook does it, then that would set up a fight with Khan. Khan hasn't fought in over a year now though, what the f**k is he doing?
Had an op on his hand, recovering from that at the moment. Would love to see Brook v Khan.
NottingHammer6
Has liked: 1 like

Post by NottingHammer6 »

Brook would smash Khan
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Brook is an underdog going into this fight (2.7 on Betfair). With home advantage, that surprises me, but then I don't know much about Spence and Brook does have an awful lot of padding on his CV.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

NottingHammer6 wrote:Brook would smash Khan
I'm not so sure. Brook likes to come forward, so does Khan but the latter is faster and could tire Brook out and outbox him.

I know Khan had a hand injury but he spent the early part of this year talking up big summer fights, and it's now May and we still have nothing.
Boxers need to keep active, we've seem the damage it's done to BJS, he's the forgotten man of the middleweight division even though he has a respected belt, the one GGG wants.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Craig Kennedy and Andrew Selby on C5 Friday 10pm
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Not massively into my betting, but UK bookies have Errol Spence as a slight favourite for tomorrow night
twixy
Has liked: 1 like

Post by twixy »

Yeah Brook looks value to me. Think this could be a Froch Bute turn out. Brook is in unbelievable shape, and he has done the weight correctly. Brook Ko at 5s and rounds 4-6 at 13s looks decent. Just hope his eye holds up ok.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

twixy wrote:Yeah Brook looks value to me. Think this could be a Froch Bute turn out. Brook is in unbelievable shape, and he has done the weight correctly. Brook Ko at 5s and rounds 4-6 at 13s looks decent. Just hope his eye holds up ok.
Be interesting to see how he holds up back down at 147 after not having to make it in over a year. Plus with the eye, you would have to imagine it will never be the same. Those type of injuries tend to swell up quite badly.

Spence is a big Welterweight himself, if he can handle Brook's size and power early on he'll have a great chance.

Still think Brook on points, just.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

It's truly 50:50 for me. Looking forward to it.
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

Jumby wrote:Craig Kennedy and Andrew Selby on C5 Friday 10pm
Was a decent fight, Selby has fantastic movement and counter punches but did get caught a bit as the other guy had a very long reach. Interesting to hear him say that he doesn't like boxing.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I had to rewind that comment to make sure I wasn't hearing things :lol:

I thought it was a brilliant fight and further enhanced Andrew Selbys reputation, for me he's the most exciting British boxer, his style encourages action and entertainment. He's like a less polished but faster and more aggressive version of his brother, incredible to think that that was his ninth pro fight.

Kennedy was poor, from the moment he went down you knew that was it. Shame as I like him, he's just not got enough about him.
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

Kennedy was terrified of throwing a right hand, kept doing the opposite to what his corner wanted by circling to his left and for a boxer he seems to lack the aggressive streak.

I agree on Selby, very good to watch like a lot of the top guys with a similar style, Lomachenko and Garcia being the best, toying with opponents.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Every time I hear Kell Brook say 'chocolate brownie' part of me wouldn't mind seeing him get sparked out :lol:
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Think this fight might bomb PPV wise hasn't caught the public's interest and both are quite straight forward plain personalities.