Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Nesticles

Re: Boxing thread

Post by Nesticles »

ironstu wrote:Got some free tickets to the 02 for "Summertime Brawl" on Saturday. Wouldn't have paid to go but I will now! Buatsi debut, Okolie, Connor Benn, Buglioni v Summers. Not too sure why it's being held at the 02, I know first hand that there are thousands of tickets unsold. Will be good to see a couple of talented boxers early in their careers and have a few beers mind!
Matchroom had it booked, but didn't really have a fight big enough to sell it out and put on a 'Box Office' show

Rather than lose the fee, they are cracking on with the show but just on regular Sky Sports

Not seen that confirmed anywhere, but quite a few respected boxing pundits/journos posted about it a while ago online
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

fmgod wrote: Jumby I'm not sure about Smith, they all seem serial losers at the elite level
Not any of the Scousers, I'm talking about the young man that battered B Hop out of the ring and out of boxing, Joe Smith Jnr

http://boxrec.com/boxer/513839" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The boy looks very good, I think he'd beat Stevenson, I really do. I have no idea what Stevenson is playing at, he won't fight Kovalev or Ward and doesn't seem like he's that keen on fighting again any time soon, despite being 39. If you ask me he's holding the WBC light heavyweight title hostage, what was the point in that Fonfara rematch? If I was Cleverly I'd be making noises about going in with him.
only1post
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by only1post »

Benn (53) v Collins (52)...................why?
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

only1post wrote:Benn (53) v Collins (52)...................why?
£££££
only1post

Post by only1post »

Would you pay to see it?
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Not under any circumstances :arry:
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I watched him a lot as a kid but I was never able to warm to Benn, he really does come across as a bit of a prick. The Dark Destroyer can't let go of the fact that he couldn't beat Collins and Eubank and had he fought the young Calzaghe he'd have got smashed up and schooled to f*ck. He lost his last three fights more than 20 years ago, sparring with his tw@t of a son seems to make him think he can avenge those defeats, it's over Nigel.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

They're giving away tickets for tonight as they can't sell them, just pay booking fee, few emails going around
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Buglioni would lose to Cleverly or Yarde.
only1post

Post by only1post »

Time for Manny to hang up the gloves.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

And to think he wanted a rematch with Mayweather. I bet Amir Khan is gutted, it could have been him rather than Jeff Horn, probably Khan's last chance of claiming a big name scalp in the welterweight division.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Pac won but just got massively cheated, properly robbed
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

fmgod wrote:Pac won but just got massively cheated, properly robbed
I'm not so sure, Horn was more the aggressor and Pacquiao had a chance to finish Horn in the tenth and blew it. If Mayweather or any other top Welterweight were in there I think they'd have finished the job. Pacquiao is finished, but if he fancies a few more big fights against the top level welters I wouldn't mind watching him getting smashed about and ruining his legacy, after his homophobic comment I don't really have much respect for the bloke.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Yeah Pac is finished but there is the constant whispers that he needs money.

Eubank JR vs Abraham in two weeks needs to win that if he is serious, Abraham is 37.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Ohara Davies v Josh Taylor is a quality fight this weekend, and on Channel 5 too :thup:
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

Went to the O2 for the show on Saturday night, it was actually a very enjoyable show and evening (despite being full of Millwall supporting Ted Cheeseman...who was excellent by the way)! Yes there were a few gimme fights in terms of the opponents but really enjoyed the Buglioni v Summers fight and good to see all of the youngsters do what they had to do and all of them put in pretty tidy performances.

Can't see Buglioni going much further than British level but it was a good tough fight to watch. Buatsi looked calm and composed, did his job well. Okolie is a dangerous ****er, that Henshaw is a tough bloke who was meant to stick around for a few rounds but he couldn't handle the power, great to see him work the body like he did. Conor Benn looked vicious, very good movement, excited to see him progress. Ted Cheeseman and Reece Belotti both put in very impressive performances.
englebert

Post by englebert »

Anyone paying £16.95 for Eubank Jr v Abraham?
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Nope, I'd like to watch it but no chance of me shelling out £16.95 for Eubank Jr
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Stream all the way
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I'm away at a hair metal party, I'll watch it the next day on YouTube :lol:

Eubank jnr is an idiot, after this, if he wins, what second rate super middleweight will he go for next, Rosado? I'm pretty certain he'll go up to that weight now.