Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WCpete
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by WCpete »

Kudos to Fury and Wilder for agreeing to fight. Imo, this throws some shade onto Joshua. Take the big fights. Don't duck.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Fury Wilder is a good fight, can’t take many more Fury fights like last night. He needs the proper tests to get up for, regardless if the timing isn’t great. Hearn already let slip he would like to make the Whyte rematch for Joshua before a Wilder fight, so fair play to Fury for getting right back in the mix. Would be a huge accomplishment if he dethrones Wilder.

Frampton looked bloody sharp, didn’t think Moore was a good match for him but they seem to be working well together. He should and I think will outclass Warrington later this year.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Fury will fancy the Wilder fight because Wilder has only fought nobodies; Wilder will fancy the Fury fight because Fury is coming back off a long lay off. Should be worth watching.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

I'm backing Fury all day long, Wilder doesn't have anything like the technical ability that Fury has. When he brings the belt home he'll have gone to both Germany and the States and beaten long reigning World Champions, at that point even his biggest critics will have to admit he's special.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Think it's a bit too soon for Fury, three years out the ring hammered, coke, drink, party lifestyle will take it's toll

Canelo vs GGG 2 confirmed BT PPV, can't imagine it doing great numbers, both non UK fights at 5am
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

In reality it was about 6-8 months of ill discipline maximum, since then he's been turning it around and slowly getting back to the condition he was in for the Klitschko fight. I can't see Wilder knocking him out so, unless unless the WBC rig this beyond belief, the belt is coming to the UK, where it will stay for a long time.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Jumby wrote:In reality it was about 6-8 months of ill discipline maximum, since then he's been turning it around and slowly getting back to the condition he was in for the Klitschko fight. I can't see Wilder knocking him out so, unless unless the WBC rig this beyond belief, the belt is coming to the UK, where it will stay for a long time.
He was in active for close to 2 and a half years. That’s a huge layoff, combined with having to shift close to 125lbs/8st

Wilder can knock out any heavyweight of the current crop
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Absolutely laughable the fawning over Fury, the geezer is more entertaining out of the ring than he is in it (which doesn't necessarily make him a bad fighter).

Bods go on like he's the second coming though, Wilder is knocking him spark out, as would Joshua or Whyte...
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

It wasn't two and a half years of ill discipline though, he's been clean and focused and shedding weight for a while now.

Fury can jab and move better than any of the top Heavyweights, he might not pack serious KO power but Wilder will tire, it takes him a good few rounds to find his range, most of the time, against the slow opposition that he's previously faced, by then I expect Fury will be a number of rounds up and Wilder will get desperate. His toughest test, Ortiz, was full of wild swings from him until Ortiz tired and left himself open to those chopping swings. Mark my words, Tyson Fury will not allow that to happen, he'll probably bore a lot of the casuals that just want to see an explosive KO, but he'll get the job done, just like he always has.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Jumby wrote:Mark my words, Tyson Fury will not allow that to happen, he'll probably bore a lot of the casuals that just want to see an explosive KO, but he'll get the job done, just like he always has.
Nah he'll get clipped at some point & it will be lights out!

The casuals may well just want to see an explosive KO, but that's exactly what Fury has been spouting off about doing...

He's more explosive in the media / on social media than in the ring...
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

When it gets to round 10 and Wilder knows he's going to need a KO or multiple knockdowns to win he's going to get desperate. He's going to tire, he's going to lose, that's how I see it.

I don't think Fury will KO him but of course he's going to say that, it's Heavyweight boxing. The words and mind games have already started and I don't think Wilder will deal well with the build up, the first fight he's ever had where there will be serious media coverage. Fury basks in the limelight and talks the talk better than anyone, he's too quick witted for Wilder, who will do his usual repeatedly shouting things before it digresses to grunting and snarling, the bloke doesn't have enough about him to handle the build up, that's how I see it.
englebert

Post by englebert »

Wilder is a terrible boxer with stamina issues but a big right hand. Wilder has a punchers chance for sure.

Its not as simple as saying Fury will get clipped and its over. Of course he will get clipped, but there is a good chance he will get up as many decent boxers have against Wilder. It will depend on the circumstances of the fight as to whether or not WIlder will get the TKO.

My prediction is that Fury will win the majority of the rounds through higher punch output. Wilder will land that right eventually and Fury will have to get up, bite down and smother Wilder until his head clears. Then Wilders legs will go and Fury will get the knockout.

Look at Wilders last 3 fight. No Jab, no footwork and fights scared on the outside waiting for the opening for the right hand. If Fury stays disciplined he will win like against Wlad.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Wilder has a good tank on him, proven when he overcame Ortiz and stopped him after he looked out on his feet. We can’t forget Ortiz has been dodged my many heavyweights, most recently Dillian Whyte who didn’t want to fight him in a WBC final eliminator.

Fury has good footwork and handspeed, which will prove an issue for Wilder as he likes to load up on his shots and could be missing a lot

It’s a good fight, neither are as bad as people are making out but there are undoubtedly question marks over both for different reasons.

Fair play to them both, it’s the biggest heavyweight fight of the year and Eddie Hearn and his boy AJ aren’t involved. Couldn’t have predicted that being the case this year.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I don't think Ortiz was that dodged, he was banned for taking an illegal substance which blew his chance of fighting Klitschko and the others have had other fights to take care of, whilst he struggled to get near a running Malik Scot in a blatantly rigged fight (Scot celebrated making it to the end despite not attempting to fight all night) and hardly set the World on fire against a doorman from Doncaster who took the fight on three weeks notice and rocked up looking more out of shape than usual. Joshua had world titles to go after, Ortiz had to get some tune up fights, Wilder took the fight once he'd seen the flaws in his game and once he'd got to the point where he literally had no other bums to face. How the f**k Wilder managed to put off ever facing a genuinely decent boxer until then only the WBC will know.

Watch Wilder against Washington and Molina, it's comical, Fury is tailor made to expose these gaping holes in his game.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Weirdest ‘fight’ you’ve ever seen. The moment the bell goes for the first round, one of the boxers steps out of the ring and walks back to the dressing room. On live television.

https://twitter.com/premierboxing/statu ... 59200?s=21
hudds town hammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by hudds town hammer »

York Ham(mer) wrote:Weirdest ‘fight’ you’ve ever seen. The moment the bell goes for the first round, one of the boxers steps out of the ring and walks back to the dressing room. On live television.

https://twitter.com/premierboxing/statu ... 59200?s=21
i read somewhere that he was shafted on his purse just before the fight so he did it as a protest
WCpete
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by WCpete »

Protesting a contract that he signed.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Well, he won’t get paid for that. And will probably get a suspension too.
only1post
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by only1post »

Chatting to my 19 year old about the Fury fight, trying to convince him this is not exactly a go!den era for heavyweight boxing.
So sat down with him today and watched Bowe beating Hollyfield in the early 90s on YouTube. What a great fight and it convinced me that either one would smash Fury, Wilder or AJ if they were fighting now.
Anyone disagree?
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Bowe and Holyfield were hard, hard men, Bowe technically the better but Holyfield had a better attitude. I really don't know how it would go, prime Holyfield or Bowe against a prime Fury? Call me deluded but I can't see Fury being outboxed by either of them and I can't see them knocking him out. I can see Wilder coming unstuck against both because they would land punches on him cleanly, same goes for AJ. Remember, AJ is still young for a Heavyweight in both age and experience, but right now I think he'd find the going tough against either of those two.