Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ironstu

Re: Boxing thread

Post by ironstu »

Expect McGregor to be stopped in the middle rounds. Mayweather will be looking out for the big left hand to start with and sussing him out before realising that he can just pick him off at will. McGregor will take so many clean punches that the ref will step in and stop it.

Will be a great event to watch and I am a huge boxing fan and even though I think it's a joke of a fight, I will definitely be tuning in...just in case.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

I only said minimal to none because nothing is impossible, same goes for an MMA fight I suppose. Although even less so, because Conor can at least throw a punch whereas Floyd can't throw a kick or grapple. But yeah, it might as well be 0% chance.

Good luck to him anyway, from being on welfare to making 100m plus from one fight. He's an exceptional true fighter, regardless of what happens in this spectacle. Anyone would take the opportunity if it arose and he has manufactured it perfectly for himself.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

ironstu wrote: even though I think it's a joke of a fight, I will definitely be tuning in...just in case.
And that's why the promotors are currently laughing their heads off....
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Remember what Mayweather did to Arturo Gatti?

Going to be like that but way worse.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Mayweather will outbox him, but I can't see him knocking McGregor out, he'll just make him look a bit silly. Mikey Garcia would destroy McGregor, he'd school him and knock him out cold.

I expect after the fight there'll be calls for Mayweather to face McGregor in an MMA fight, and that's why this is just a stupid match.

Fair play to McGregor, as long as he's not as stupid as he sometimes comes across he should be made for life now, win or lose, and he'll almost certainly do the latter, he wins.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

Jumby wrote:Mayweather will outbox him, but I can't see him knocking McGregor out,.
He managed to wear down and knock Hatton out, he's not without power to my mind.

Ok he's not a hurtful puncher but you can imagine a situation whereby McGregor is shipping an awful lot of punches per round.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Ward and and Kovalev must be gutted, biggest fight of the year this weekend after the first was a really good fight and all the attention on a circus act

Mayweather carries a fair bit of power just he doesn't care about knockouts just winning, if that means winning for 12 rounds then so be it, in his younger days he use to go forward a bit more, he definitely has power otherwise everyone would've just walked through him, he has enough sting to keep fighters back a bit
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Yep his right hand obviously had enough pop to keep Canelo and Pacquiao off him so to say he is feather fisted is a misnomer in my opinion
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Mayweather will just control the fight and do what he wants. If he wants to end it early he will, if he needs it to go a few rounds so it seems less of a farce he can manage that.
fmgod wrote:Ward and and Kovalev must be gutted, biggest fight of the year this weekend after the first was a really good fight and all the attention on a circus act
I won't get a chance to watch this till Sunday, but I can't wait for this

Kovalev seems properly wound up this time around. I have been thinking Ward by a wide UD but I'm not so sure anymore.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

White Goodman wrote:
He managed to wear down and knock Hatton out, he's not without power to my mind.

Ok he's not a hurtful puncher but you can imagine a situation whereby McGregor is shipping an awful lot of punches per round.
That was in 2007. Mayweathers last 7 fights went the distance, in his last 10 fights he scored one Knock Out, a hugely controversial one against Victor Ortiz. His knock out percentage dropped massively in the second half of his career. Putting all these factors into the mix, and the fact that he'll probably enjoy toying with what is essentially an amateur boxer, I can see this going the distance.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Jumby wrote:toying with what is essentially an amateur boxer
Zero experience as an amateur boxer

He wouldn't even win an area title

Imagine how ridiculous he is going to look with even his footwork and movement in a ring with Mayweather
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

Nesticles wrote:
Zero experience as an amateur boxer

He wouldn't even win an area title

Imagine how ridiculous he is going to look with even his footwork and movement in a ring with Mayweather
My thoughts exactly. there are definitely at least 3 guys at my local boxing gym who would dispatch him in a boxing match I reckon. Yet here he is fighting one of the best ever.

This is just ridiculous but like most people I'll be watching, even though I don't particularly like it

I wonder if there'll be a "how many punches will McGregor land" market. An average amateur boxer if Mayweather takes it seriously would land none.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

People claiming 1st round ko's from Mayweather obviously didn't watch him much in latter years. He will win 100% but I can see it lasting a few rounds. An absolute commercial con this fight. Which surely can't count towards mayweathers win Talley.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I think Ward will win again tonight, it won't be exciting and it there probably won't be another knockdown, I just think Ward has his number now, no matter how much Kovalev huffs and puffs. Kovalev will have to fight Stevenson after this, lose that and his career is in tatters.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

It looked like Kovalev was fading, but I thought that stoppage was awful :thdn:
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I don't what's next for either, will Stevenson try and dodge Ward, and what about Smith jnr, he has to be taken seriously. There's talk of Ward wanting to go up to heavyweight and take on AJ, that would be a silly move if you ask me.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Poor stoppage but Ward had him beat, Ward is the best of our generation in my eyes apart from remaining inactive for so long, he has it all, technical skills, can mix it with the likes of Froch, good enough power, absolute class all round fighter.

Outside shot he goes for Bellew? Bellew only has three inches on him.

Jumby I'm not sure about Smith, they all seem serial losers at the elite level

GGG vs Canelo is on Boxnation, probably as Sky will go guns blazing for Mayweather
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Agree with everything about Ward, he is class. Still feel for Kovalev too, thought he won the first fight just and the stoppage on Sat was poor.

I get why Hunter said go after Joshua, there is nothing for him at Cruiserweight. Might as well go for all or nothing in the heavyweight division.

BoxNation and BT Sport will be showing a live UK card first before the GGG/Canelo fight
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Odds for tonight's card

Live on the Sky Sports website from 6.45pm then 9pm on Sky Sports 2.

Stuart Hall 1/100
Bradley Saunders 1/100
Natasha Jones 1/100
Anthony Fowler 1/100
Josh Kelly 1/100
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

Got some free tickets to the 02 for "Summertime Brawl" on Saturday. Wouldn't have paid to go but I will now! Buatsi debut, Okolie, Connor Benn, Buglioni v Summers. Not too sure why it's being held at the 02, I know first hand that there are thousands of tickets unsold. Will be good to see a couple of talented boxers early in their careers and have a few beers mind!