Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by WHU Independent »

Frotch - I admire his skill as a boxer and his granite chin qualities, but I have never liked him as a person.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

ryanrc wrote:I'm not disagreeing, but I'm curious about examples with what people are saying about Canelo being lucky or a fight dodger.

I've followed him but not super closely, but from my point of view he's 27 and had 52 fights and stepped up to fight the best - GGG and Floyd (when he was only really young). So which fights has he dodged and where has he nicked results?

Outside of the politics, what I've seen of him he is an excellent boxer and at times the other day he looked unbelievable.
Physiology and his propensity to take advantage of it. Bloke is 175 all day long every day. He even looked bigger than GGG on the night and he's made his career beating up guys 20 pounds smaller....and I'm really not exaggerating. Having said that I thought he was tough as old boots against Golovkin and did himself proud and I've been his harshest critic for years on here.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Looking forward to Parker vs Fury tonight as long as I'm back in time, hopefully will be a few streams from the foreign channels it's on. Such a shame how this fight has no interesting as it's a good 50/50 heavyweight title fight
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Nesticles wrote: I saw that, it's mind boggling Sky use him as a pundit. He is useless. A great fighter, but like Redknapp and co do for football he just turns up to talk about fights with little knowledge of the fighters. I wouldn't say he is a huge fan of the sport. He comes across as such a bitter person.
He talks 30% about what's happening on the night and 70% about himself and his fights, every single f**king time he has to mention his career, if he wants to go on about it so much, and keep on having digs at GGG, maybe he should come out of retirement and get his lovely nose smashed to pieces by GGG.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

I don't think Hughie Fury is doing enough here.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

York Ham(mer) wrote:I don't think Hughie Fury is doing enough here.
Really, i think he is miles in front.Not the most exciting fight though.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

I don't think he's landed enough.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

114-114 and two 118-110 to Parker. Seems two judges saw it like you York.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Hughie needed a tune up fight before this, no question. Joshua would smash Parker up.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Thought it was a draw really but Parker deserved to win as he was the only one throwing punches, thought Hughie was a class boxer, blocking tons of shots, barely getting caught but not really offering much by slickness, the question is can you win a fight on the backfoot barely throwing a punch
englebert

Post by englebert »

I thought Hughie made Parker look silly at times. But he was on the run so much it was more than just outboxing Parker. He fought scared. I understand Parker getting the nod perhaps in a tight affair with him being the champion but those cards were a disgrace.

Hughie has to stand his ground more in the future.

With only a tinpot promoter like Mick Hennesey and an awkward and defensive style like he has no one will want to fight him
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

The big problems he has is his fighting style is boring and Hughie seems a nice bloke, he's not really marketable.

Campbell got beat by Linares but did his reputation no harm, good effort
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

I thought that was a brilliant performance from Campbell. I don't buy him and Hearn (and others) saying he won the fight, he left himself with much to do after losing the first 3/4 rounds with a knockdown. He could have been in with a chance if he won the 11th and 12th convincingly but he didn't and Linares finished strong which tipped it back in his favour.

Campbell will come again, in fact I think he could beat Linares if they were to rematch. But don't doubt, Linares is a special fighter, brilliant to watch. Too small for Mikey Garcia though...
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

I think Linares eased off after the knock down even sort of fought in second gear, I think he could've of gone up a gear but superb effort from Campbell bit of a shame for him it was on at 4am though, that had been a 10pm fight it would've been big news
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Luis Ortiz fails a drugs test, he was due to fight Deontay Wilder. At 38 and with another failed drug test in 2014, it's time he shuffled off into retirement.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Second time for Ortiz, the tub of ****. Speaking of tubs of ****, I watched the Chisora fight on Saturday, wtf is he doing in with rubbish like that, and can he please put down whatever the hell he's been eating too.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Lots of whispers of Khan vs Saunders getting announced this week
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

fmgod wrote:Lots of whispers of Khan vs Saunders getting announced this week
What a strange fight, if rumours are true

A catchweight fight for a middleweight title, involving 2 fighters who desperately need more credible fights at their own weight classes at this time of their careers. Not a fan
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

I see the Haye Bellew trash talking is under way. Can't see this fight doing a huge amount of numbers. Especially on a Sunday night. Whats that all about?
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Think as they left it so late the arena was already booked for the Saturday so they had to take the Sunday