Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by Jumby »

Linares needs to retire now, moving up weight was a bad idea as he's a boxer rather than a big puncher. I admire the man, he broke my heart when he beat Kev Mitchell but you have to admire him as a boxer. That said, if Khan is glass jawed what does that make Linares?

Broner should retire too. The guy is a f**king moron, playing up to a stereotype so much that it makes me sick. he just runs his mouth and does nothing to back it up, Maidana made him scared to throw and he's too pillow fisted at that weight to cause anyone any trouble. I'd only like to see him hang around a little longer so that somebody can knock him out.

I knew Jack would lose, that Light heavyweight division is wide open now and I think that in a year or two Callum Smith might make the jump up to it and take a belt or two. Anthony Yarde is probably looking at it and thinking his time his coming but I honestly think that the second he fights any top level fighter he's going to get shown up badly.

Back to Broner though, it's hard to believe what he has achieved in his career when you think of how he has performed over the last three years, this could have all happened a lot sooner too as Paulie definitely beat him but they gave the then unbeaten up and coming star the win over him. People say Broner sells the fights, does he? He runs his mouth but he's not exciting to watch, he just gets schooled and is afraid to truly let his hands go, I hope he ends up bankrupt and realises what a fantastic opportunity he had and how much he wasted it, boxing doesn't need t**ts like that in the sport.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

fmgod wrote:He is a big character, guaranteed entertainment every time he opens his mouth. He is the budget Mayweather in that you want to see him lose/knocked out but unlike Mayweather he isn't good enough to avoid losses. Also i just think he is incredibly thick and deluded and it's not even an act.

Love to know who supplies Pac man though performing like that 40 though and been in countless wars and weight divisions over the years
A big character, yes, an utter scumbag also. I understand the **** that comes out of his month could be considered entertainment, but his actual performances aren’t particularly entertaining. The fights against Garcia, Porter and now Pac (based on the reports I’ve read) were one sided, dull fights with Broner showing no desire to win and just accepting the loss.

Maidana was probably the last decent high profile fight he was in and that was in 2014, although mainly because of how enjoyable the beat down he got was to watch.

Fortunately he seems like an utter fool, so he’ll more than likely end up brankrupt without a pot to piss in.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

His actual boxing is the sideshow though, he is trending on twitter today so getting mainstream attention both sides of the pond for his comments after the fight, all eyes are on him not Pacquaio even though obviously he just got dismantled. Controversy creates cash
stu1

Post by stu1 »

fmgod wrote:His actual boxing is the sideshow though, he is trending on twitter today so getting mainstream attention both sides of the pond for his comments after the fight, all eyes are on him not Pacquaio even though obviously he just got dismantled. Controversy creates cash
Any idea how the fight done on the PPVs? Surely people must get bored of paying to see Broner in dull fights at $80 a go. It will interesting to see where he goes from now, 2 loses and a draw in his last 3, without a significant win in 4 years.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

stu1 wrote:A big character, yes, an utter scumbag also. I understand the **** that comes out of his month could be considered entertainment, but his actual performances aren’t particularly entertaining. The fights against Garcia, Porter and now Pac (based on the reports I’ve read) were one sided, dull fights with Broner showing no desire to win and just accepting the loss.

Maidana was probably the last decent high profile fight he was in and that was in 2014, although mainly because of how enjoyable the beat down he got was to watch.

Fortunately he seems like an utter fool, so he’ll more than likely end up in jail without a pot to piss in.
Fixed it for you
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

From what I see around

Pac-Man’ banks $10 million, Broner nabs $2.5 million

Pacquiao has been guaranteed “at least” $20 million, which includes his initial $10 million fight purse. Pacquiao is likely to make up the remaining $10 million in PPV revenue, Filipino TV rights, sponsorship, merchandise, and more.

Think I see estimates at 300-325k PPV buys so roughly 24 mil minimum in PPV buys alone in the US :lol: Add in 20k tickets sold, sponsorship, tv rights world wide etc, probably very profitable for a 40 year old versus someone has 3 losses already before last night

Arum has tipped Khan vs Crawford to do over a mil
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

fmgod wrote:Arum has tipped Khan vs Crawford to do over a mil
Arum must be stoned, it won’t do half that...
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

fmgod wrote:He is a big character, guaranteed entertainment every time he opens his mouth
I wouldn’t say it’s entertainment at all when he opens his mouth, the geezer is a top ****.

Will be shot dead by a gangbanger within a couple of years anyway the way he leads his life...
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Broner hasn't entertained in a fight for years, people just tune in hoping to see him get beat, which has happened twice in his last three fights, the other being a draw. He hasn't won a fight for two years, and that was a highly controversial split decision that he got purely for being the more marketable fighter. I can't believe the s**t the p***k has been coming out with today, "does my face look like I took a beating?" He's a deluded idiot, a disgrace to the sport and I hope in his next fight he gets some severe punishment and f**ks off for good. Get him over here and let Khan give him a schooling.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

That's his selling point though, being hated, he is just a budget Mayweather, to be fair he has earnt about 5 million, whether he still has that, I doubt it but people tune into him a lot more than other boxers.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Broner :lol:

Threatening journos post-fight, what a prick. He's going to threaten the wrong fellas one day if he carries on. I'm sure he couldn't care less though as he's making a fortune.
stu1

Post by stu1 »

Jumby wrote: Get him over here and let Khan give him a schooling.
The only fights I want to see Broner in are against heavy handed opponents, Kahn's feather fists won't suffice.

I wondering if he could be persuaded to fight GGG at a catch weight. :D
OooohChristianDailly

Post by OooohChristianDailly »

Any idea how the fight done on the PPVs? Surely people must get bored of paying to see Broner in dull fights at $80 a go. It will interesting to see where he goes from now, 2 loses and a draw in his last 3, without a significant win in 4 years.[/quote]

This is his first ever PPV
stu1

Post by stu1 »

OooohChristianDailly wrote: This is his first ever PPV
Surprised by that, hopefully his only time on PPV then as Pac must have been the only reason it was on PPV.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

He don't really need PPV with the money he is making

Adrien Broner Purse history
vs Garcia 7/17 - $1 Million
vs Granados 2/17 - $1 Million
vs Theophane 4/16 - N/A
vs Allakhverdiev 10/15 - $1 Million
vs Porter 6/15 - $1.35 Million
vs Molina 3/15 - $1.25 Million
vs Taylor $1 Million 9/14 - $1 Million
vs C. Molina 5/14 - $1.25 Million
vs Maidana 12/13 - $1.5 - $1.75 Million
Vs Vargas 1mil
vs Pac Man 2.5 mil
stu1

Post by stu1 »

fmgod wrote:He don't really need PPV with the money he is making
Tbh I always assumed he was making £2m-£5m a fight, thinking he was a PPV draw.

I’m sure Broner is foolish enough to spunk £1m-£2m a year on mainly ****, I hope so anyway.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Billy Joe Saunders has been made the mandatory challenger to Demetrius Andrade's middleweight title by the WBO.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Sounds mad but that fight is make or break for Saunders, hes been dining out on beating an overweight and past his best Lemieux for too long now, I personally don't think he'll win, he'll get outpointed and that will be it.
Patito

Post by Patito »

stu1 wrote: I’m sure Broner is foolish enough to spunk £1m-£2m a year on mainly ****, I hope so anyway.

Yep, I'd have thought his entourage will help him burn through it too.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Broner has become a parody of himself, I would love someone like Chris Rock to narrate over clips of him, summarising his behaviour, he plays up to a certain stereotype so badly that it's just getting ridiculous now.