Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by sanchoz »

sgt_squirrel wrote:Anyone know what the O2 is like as a boxing venue?, considering going to the Haye fight next month, but i've heard mixed things about the O2.
I have been there for the Khan vs Limond fight and Haye vs Big Mac. The David Haye fight the atmosphere was electric. Full house and everyone was singing along to "Who the f*** is Alice?"

Food and drink are a bit expensive but about the same as West Ham. If you are an o2 customer you can (for the price of a text) send a text to a number they advertise outside the bar and you get entry for you and three others to these secluded bars which means you get served quicker and you can keep going back and forth. I was told to sit down even though I had the back row seat but everyone stands anyway and it depends on the card I think. Haye will pull a big following from the black hole lot in Bermondsey
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3635 likes
Total likes: 2319 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

He's fighting a bum though. Save your money until he fights Skelton.
sanchoz

Post by sanchoz »

Skelton should jump off a cliff. The headbutter is a joke and hopefully will piss off soon.

I am his number one fan
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

sanchoz wrote:Skelton should jump off a cliff. The headbutter is a joke and hopefully will piss off soon.

I am his number one fan
I agree. What I should've said was: save your money until Haye punches the ugly **** into retirement..:wink:
sanchoz

Post by sanchoz »

to qoute Mr Haye after Warren offered him £700,000 to grapple Skelton:

"I am not in boxing to hand out pensions"
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

sanchoz wrote:to qoute Mr Haye after Warren offered him £700,000 to grapple Skelton:

"I am not in boxing to hand out pensions"
I think he will have to face Skelton eventually though or Warren will freeze him out. How long do you think he can go on making his own matches?
sanchoz

Post by sanchoz »

The four fight deal with Setanta and the o2 arena helps Haye and Haymaker Promotions (I think thats what they are called)....... I'd say he can fight under his own banner but as long as he does not directly start trying to pull every string like Harrison did then he will be fine.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

sanchoz wrote:The four fight deal with Setanta and the o2 arena helps Haye and Haymaker Promotions (I think thats what they are called)....... I'd say he can fight under his own banner but as long as he does not directly start trying to pull every string like Harrison did then he will be fine.
You may be right but he will need a 'name' in one of those four fights or the Yanks at HBO/Showtime won't touch him. Then he'll be cap in hand to FW...
For what it's worth I hope he makes it. The heavy weight division needs David Haye :thup:
sanchoz

Post by sanchoz »

The thing about Haye at his only heavyweight outing so far was he looked totally ripped and not a fat, mr kipling cake eating b*stard like Danny Williams or Sprott. The whole division needs someone like Haye or anyone to shake things up from just being run of the mill and boring. I think he will beat Monte Barrett and then he should look to someone like.........Hasim Rahman.
Messiah

Post by Messiah »

sanchoz wrote:The thing about Haye at his only heavyweight outing so far was he looked totally ripped and not a fat, mr kipling cake eating b*stard like Danny Williams or Sprott. The whole division needs someone like Haye or anyone to shake things up from just being run of the mill and boring. I think he will beat Monte Barrett and then he should look to someone like.........Hasim Rahman.
I ****ing hate Rahman! But the heavyweight division is in such a state that any one with even the slightest amount of ability and punching power can become a world champion. Just look at the Klitcho (sp) brothers. The most one dimensional limited fighters the world has ever seen but they have the division sown up.

The only thing that worrys me about Haye is that he keeps his hands very low and if you give a useless prick like Rahman a free shot then your going down no matter how good a boxer you are (just ask Lenox).

I'm looking forward to Williams V Mcdermot at alexandra Palace. The last fight was a cracker!
sanchoz

Post by sanchoz »

Messiah wrote: I f***ing hate Rahman! But the heavyweight division is in such a state that any one with even the slightest amount of ability and punching power can become a world champion. Just look at the Klitcho (sp) brothers. The most one dimensional limited fighters the world has ever seen but they have the division sown up.

The only thing that worrys me about Haye is that he keeps his hands very low and if you give a useless prick like Rahman a free shot then your going down no matter how good a boxer you are (just ask Lenox).

I'm looking forward to Williams V Mcdermot at alexandra Palace. The last fight was a cracker!
Williams is now grappling at Ally Pally? I thought it was York Hall as the advert at ringside for the Thaxton fight said. Anyway I only suggested a plodder like Rahman because he is still regonised by someone, somewhere and beating him would be a further step up in "class" in the heavyweight's for Haye. You are right about his hands but hope he has learnt something in the gym.
Messiah

Post by Messiah »

Williams is now grappling at Ally Pally? I thought it was York Hall as the advert at ringside for the Thaxton fight said. Anyway I only suggested a plodder like Rahman because he is still regonised by someone, somewhere and beating him would be a further step up in "class" in the heavyweight's for Haye. You are right about his hands but hope he has learnt something in the gym.
I saw Box rec site that it was on in Ally Pally.

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hu ... &cat=boxer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It could be wrong. I don't think tickets have gone on sale yet.

But who do we think will win out of Klitschko V Peter this weekend? I really hope Peter knocks his head off.
sanchoz

Post by sanchoz »

I think Klitschko will win but want Peters to win.
rosecityhammer

Post by rosecityhammer »

I think Klitschko will win as well, but I am looking forward to Wladimir's fight with Povetkin in December more...
sanchoz

Post by sanchoz »

rosecityhammer wrote:I think Klitschko will win as well, but I am looking forward to Wladimir's fight with Povetkin in December more...
I think battleship Povetkin will win there. There is something about the guy that says he is not as boring as most of the ****'s out there. In other news Holyfield has made an offer to Valuev to fight for his heavyweight title....... Evander is 46 on the 19th!
party iron

Post by party iron »

Did any one see the Shane Mosley fight the other day.I was one of the those fights people will talk about for years.

Any way if no one did this is what happened. Mosley is miles behind on points and looks as if he has nothing left to give then the 12 round starts the first mins go buy and it looks as if he will lose on points then with less than a min on the clock Mosley lands some great shots and decks his opponent, by the time they give him the 8 count there's about 17 seconds on the clock Mosley go's straight over and decks him again with 3 seconds of the 12 round remaining the ref then stops the fight and gives it to mosley
rosecityhammer

Post by rosecityhammer »

sanchoz wrote: I think battleship Povetkin will win there. There is something about the guy that says he is not as boring as most of the f***s out there. In other news Holyfield has made an offer to Valuev to fight for his heavyweight title....... Evander is 46 on the 19th!
I definitely think Povetkin will give him a run for his money, which will be much, much more exciting than the usual bouts we see Wladmir in. Something needs to shake up the heavyweight world! I like the idea of Evander fighting again, but it sounds like they are not going to bite. :(
beckton

Post by beckton »

party iron wrote:Did any one see the Shane Mosley fight the other day.I was one of the those fights people will talk about for years.

Any way if no one did this is what happened. Mosley is miles behind on points and looks as if he has nothing left to give then the 12 round starts the first mins go buy and it looks as if he will lose on points then with less than a min on the clock Mosley lands some great shots and decks his opponent, by the time they give him the 8 count there's about 17 seconds on the clock Mosley go's straight over and decks him again with 3 seconds of the 12 round remaining the ref then stops the fight and gives it to mosley

Incredibly the judges actually had Mosley ahead?!

I don't think anyone else did though, I had Mosley miles behind and I was thinking during the fight he should retire as he looked so poor.

Up there with the Chavez/Taylor finish though both those fighters were at there peak at the time.
sanchoz

Post by sanchoz »

rosecityhammer wrote:
I think battleship Povetkin will win there. There is something about the guy that says he is not as boring as most of the f***s out there. In other news Holyfield has made an offer to Valuev to fight for his heavyweight title....... Evander is 46 on the 19th!
I definitely think Povetkin will give him a run for his money, which will be much, much more exciting than the usual bouts we see Wladmir in. Something needs to shake up the heavyweight world! I like the idea of Evander fighting again, but it sounds like they are not going to bite. :([/quote]

I am not jumping for joy at the thought of seeing the real deal back in the ring. He should call it a day IMO. Peters lost at the weekend and now three of the four main heavyweight titles are under the control of the Clitschko :wink:
Messiah

Post by Messiah »

Peter was bloody awful on saturday night. I don't remember him actually hitting Vitali cleanly, I certainly wasn't surprised when he called it a day inbetween rounds. There was just no way he could get past the jab.

Now Klitschko wants Valuev now and I can't see him being troubled but that useless lump.