Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by Beavis Danzig »

joshua vs. fury would be the biggest all english sporting event in recent history.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3680 likes
Total likes: 2385 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Did someone really say "glass jaw"? Christ on a bike! :lol:

As for that little scrap....well I don't think anyone on the planet saw it panning out quite like that did they? I'll be honest, I was one of those who never really 'got' Klitschko (either of them)......and then tonight happened: Who's this dude dancing around the ring, 41 years young, like a white Muhammad Ali. WTF? Spry, on his toes, interested, up for it....was he always this good and we didn't notice? And then somehow, our boy climbs off the floor and irons the big Ukrainian out - proper Rocky Balboa **** - and in doing so catapults himself into global superstar status. Wow, just wow. I'm not really sure how to process what I just watched there but I'm pretty sure it was the greatest Heavyweight fight in my lifetime. Nuff respect to both fellas. That **** was the truth.....
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 313 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Screaming at the tele for wlad to let his hands go more when Joshua was out on his feet.

Let's not kid ourselves he really should have been taken out
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Centre Half wrote:Screaming at the tele for wlad to let his hands go more when Joshua was out on his feet.

Let's not kid ourselves he really should have been taken out
You could argue that AJ should've finished Klit in the 5th.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

fmgod wrote:Something went wrong at the end though, Joshua or Hearn was definitely meant to call out Wilder, they flew him over here, had him ringside commentating, they forgot that part
Joshua was concussed to f**k when they have him the mic
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Calling out Fury was pretty empty though, his still banned I think, about seven stone over weight and a state.

No way Hearn throws Joshua in with another big gun before another easy money spinner
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Joshua does seem to have filled the Hatton void now in my eyes as global superstar, Froch and Khan filled it slightly but Joshua is the one that has conquered the casual fans interest and got them buying tickets and PPV like Hatton did. Think him Mayweather at bleeding 4am was the British PPV record till last night.
nickkarkie
Has liked: 65 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Yes I said he has a glass jaw because he does, he's been hit cleanly twice now, once by klitschko and once by whyte, and both times he didn't know where he was for 5 minutes. Klitschko should have gone after him in the 7th and it would have been all over.

Joshua has shown that he gets a second wind later in the fight but it usually takes him 2 rounds to recover from a heavy punch and against a big hitter he won't get that time. What makes it worse is that he doesn't hold when he is hurt and he throws nothing back. He was very close to being stopped last night as the ref asked him to move forward and he didn't respond
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

If AJ has a glass jaw then so does Fury, who was dropped by a cruiserweight in Steve Cunningham.

AJ hasn't got a glass jaw, it's heavyweight boxing for f**k sake.
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

The Rebirth wrote:
He had 2 rounds where he blew gas and for the last two rounds he was fine, he did make a mistake when he downed Vlad by over extending going for the win and he paid in the next round.

But how can you call him glass jawed is a joke, he fought like a champion and won. Not many people come back from a Vlad put down.

If you don't like him fine, but I do not agree with what you're saying
To throw 17 punches in a round and gas out then you clearly are not fit, his physique will cost him. People see what they want to see, he wasn't overextending against Whyte and the same thing happened and he looked knackered, it's not being knackered though, it's being punch drunk, he proves that by coming back later to look fresh again. The same thing happened to Conor McGregor against Diaz, making the bull**** excuse that he got tired, he didn't, it was 6 minutes into the fight and he got a massive punch right on his jaw.

Give AJ Carl Froch's chin and nobody would beat him.
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

Jumby wrote:If AJ has a glass jaw then so does Fury, who was dropped by a cruiserweight in Steve Cunningham.

AJ hasn't got a glass jaw, it's heavyweight boxing for f**k sake.
Yep fury goes down but he doesn't lose his senses, gets right back up and continues.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

fmgod wrote:Calling out Fury was pretty empty though, his still banned I think, about seven stone over weight and a state.

No way Hearn throws Joshua in with another big gun before another easy money spinner
No he's given Joshua **** for a few years now, f**k him, he has been giving it big from his armchair as he gets fatter, calling himself the greatest and Joshua a bodybuilder. Joshua is THE name in heavyweight boxing now, THE name in boxing, and he's done it with his fists, not his mouth.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

nickkarkie wrote: Yep fury goes down but he doesn't lose his senses, gets right back up and continues.
It was Steve Cunningham man, Steve Cunningham :lol:
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

Doesn't matter who, he used to fight recklessly but as he showed against Klitschko and Chisora, he can fight to a plan and has improved no end over the years. People make all sort of excuses, Klitschko didn't try against Fury blah blah blah, he tried but he couldn't get near him.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

I expect they'll duck Fury and other more able contenders for a while now.
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

As people think I'm talking crap, I'll put my money where my mouth is and donate £50 to the Bobby Moore Fund if AJ is not stopped in the next 3 years.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I can't believe a young British heavyweight is getting written off with an immaculate record of 19 fights, 19 wins all by KO all because he got dropped by one of the best heavyweights of all time. Especially when there seems to be a Team Fury bias on here, what a joke they're becoming, Hughie and his 'injury' and Tyson and his inability to live any form of a healthy lifestyle.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

nickkarkie wrote:Doesn't matter who, he used to fight recklessly but as he showed against Klitschko and Chisora, he can fight to a plan and has improved no end over the years. People make all sort of excuses, Klitschko didn't try against Fury blah blah blah, he tried but he couldn't get near him.
Of course it matters. It matters greatly.

So by your logic Fury learned from that and improved but Joshua won't. Alright fella, if you say so.
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

We will see. I've put my money where my mouth is, you should also as you are digging me out. So put your money on Joshua ruling the division. I'll happily be proved wrong as I like Joshua and he's entertaining but I judge sport on what I see and not others' opinions.
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

Jumby wrote:
So by your logic Fury learned from that and improved but Joshua won't. Alright fella, if you say so.
He didn't learn very well last night. 3 rounds in a row he got hit by a straight right by Klitschko in the first 5 seconds of each round. He's too rigid, Fury is a much better technical boxer but AJ has the speed and the power and that can take you a long way.