Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Crouching Peeky
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by Crouching Peeky »

Morocco Mole wrote:Not surprised at the draw to be honest. 118-110 Canelo tho' :lol:
That is ridiculous. Literally cannot believe that scorecard.I scored it 116-112 to GGG
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2408 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Canelo landed the better punches. Golovkin generally walked through them. Canelo won the first few rounds, GGG controlled the middle of the fight, Canelo finished strongly. Hard to score. I can see why it was a draw. Canelo went up in my estimation massively.

Adelaide Byrd (who?) needs to jack it in though. Image
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Golovkin won that, 118-110, absolute b*llocks
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Robbery, it's a joke Canelo gets these cards

118-110?! That judge only gave GGG the 4th and 7th rounds

I had GGG winning that fight so comfortably. A great fight too.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Alvarez didn't win six rounds, no way, that was rigged so there can definitely be a rematch
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

A terrific fight ruined by some of the worst scorecards I've seen.
The promotion clearly wanted to add some controversy to bring some drama and additional pay off for a rematch. So why not three completely ridiculous results? That will bring the crowds and PPV money back.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Just watched that, not massively knowledgeable in the sport but 118-110 not a chance in hell. I thought GGG edged it by a couple of rounds.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

De La Hoya doing wonders for Canelo

17 - 111 vs Lara
118 - 109 vs Trout
119 - 109 vs Cotto
114 - 114 vs Mayweather
118 - 110 vs Golovkin
:thdn:
Everard
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Everard »

brilliant fight. i've only just watched it and was fully expecting to see GGG being robbed after reading the reports. however, i had canelo winning 5 rounds to 3. quite a difficult fight to score though, so maybe a draw was a fair result?

can't wait for the rematch!
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I had Golovkin winning 116-112, the best I could give Alvarez was him losing 115-113, no way did he do enough to take more than five rounds. Lara, Trout and now this, Alvarez is one lucky Golden Boy.
hudds town hammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by hudds town hammer »

GGG won that easily,

anyone saying alvarez landed the better shots needs to understand that landing not enough of them lost him that fight. The look on his face after told you he knew he lost.

oh well at least we have Rigo and Loma soon,

and billy joes son stole the show with his " im sorry for punching you in the nuts " :lol:
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Mayweather tho... 8-)
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

hudds town hammer wrote:GGG won that easily,

anyone saying alvarez landed the better shots needs to understand that landing not enough of them lost him that fight. The look on his face after told you he knew he lost.

oh well at least we have Rigo and Loma soon,

and billy joes son stole the show with his " im sorry for punching you in the nuts " :lol:
I respect your opinion hudds but the fact is he didn't lose the fight. He scored more power punches than his opponent - i.e. eye catching punches - against GGGs better volume. I have no skin in this game, in fact I expected Golovkin to iron him out fairly easily but he couldn't and never looked like doing so at any point. I thought Golovkin nicked it but to call it a 'robbery' is a huge disservice to Canelo. How good does Mayweather look in context?
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

The Mayweather fight was too early for Canelo. Ironically enough, Mayweather dragged him to down to a weight he struggled to make (152lbs). Something Canelo has been doing to plenty of his opponents ever since.

There were a couple of close rounds that could perhaps have been scored either way, but overall I can't see any argument for a draw let alone a Canelo win. GGG had Canelo backed up and throwing very little for Rounds 3-10 imo, which is where he won the fight for me. Canelo needed a KO going into the last couple of rounds and he didn't get it. Harold Lederman's 116-112 scorecard for GGG was spot on, imo.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Cracking fight, I knew Canelo wouldn't lose on points, no chance in Vegas ad De La Hoya's cash cow, GGG is incredible, great power but a superb boxer and 35, shame he isn't English, you can see why Froch was scared of him.

Bizarrely Saunders called out Khan
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

fmgod wrote:Bizarrely Saunders called out Khan
twixy

Post by twixy »

I backed the draw at 28/1 in the 5th, I've seen too many Vegas nights that have been spoiled by bad cards (as well as British). GGG won the fight by 3 rounds at least. Byrd should never be allowed to judge a fight again, truly shocking judge..

I though BJS done well. Munroe completely froze and gave nothing, Bill only looks good against someone who want's to fight unfortunately.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

That's two female judges in Canelo's fight that have been a joke Byrd and Ross, in the GGG and Mayweather fights.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

BJS is a f**king bellend, calling out guys two weights below you is cowardly.

A day has passed and that result on Saturday seems even worse, I don't care if Alvarez landed a few power punches more, he didn't do enough to deserve a draw, he did exactly what I said he'd do too, go to the ropes for breathers throughout, and he got caught by GGG's jabs no end through doing that. All this "I'm a true Mexican figher" bullsh!t is a joke too, true Mexican fighters don't bounce around the ring and lean against the ropes, they come forward, they go toe to toe, they trade, Alvarez and his team talk a load of rubbish.
twixy

Post by twixy »

Jumby wrote:BJS is a f**king bellend, calling out guys two weights below you is cowardly.

A day has passed and that result on Saturday seems even worse, I don't care if Alvarez landed a few power punches more, he didn't do enough to deserve a draw, he did exactly what I said he'd do too, go to the ropes for breathers throughout, and he got caught by GGG's jabs no end through doing that. All this "I'm a true Mexican figher" bullsh!t is a joke too, true Mexican fighters don't bounce around the ring and lean against the ropes, they come forward, they go toe to toe, they trade, Alvarez and his team talk a load of rubbish.
If Canelo and GGG can do it why can't Saunders?