Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Luis Ortez has been banned by the WBA for one year (until Sept. 22, 2018) following his positive drug test.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

York Ham(mer) wrote:Luis Ortez has been banned by the WBA for one year (until Sept. 22, 2018) following his positive drug test.
Shouldn't be allowed to box again, repeat offender and the master of his own downfall.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

WBC Heavyweight Title fight and Stiverne rocks up looking like he's spent the last six months on the couch eating fried chicken. He gets dropped three times by Windmill Wilder and it's over by the end of round one, what an absolute disgrace to boxing these fat lumps of dumb **** are. On the subject of these types, Del Boy has done it again, too lazy, he once went the distance with a peak Vladimir Klitschko, now he's getting out boxed by average Euro level nobody's.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

Yeah, that Wilder fight was an embarrassment. Fighting a 38 yr old tub of lard who hadn't fought in 2 years. I don't understand what the point is. What did that fight do for Wilder? Announcers said 1st rd KO made a statement. Seriously? Nonsense.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Wilder has had terrible luck, was going to fight Povetkin and Ortiz who both failed drug tests. Ortiz has been incredibly avoided at Heavyweight too

Stiverne coming in for a World Championship opportunity in that shape is disgraceful
englebert

Post by englebert »

They could have fought someone better than Stiverne though. Brezeale was on the undercard, Whyte is ready.
Its partly the WBC's fault. They had put Stiverne in their top ten who hadnt fought in 2 years and i think made him the mandatory for Wilder, thus letting Wilder get his mandatory out of the way.
Boxing is so crooked
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Whyte is ready? The bloke isn't top 10 let alone barely top 20, he is absolute dreadful, don't see how his name gets mentioned in anything, he's domestic level at best, should be fighting the likes of Dave Allen.

The fact anybody thinks Wilder needs to face Whyte is laughable
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I must admit, Wilders behaviour after the third knockdown was weird, why try and wrestle with the ref? He's never came across as having the best manners and I would love to see someone like Tyson Fury or Joshua put him on his backside, he can't even be gracious in victory so imagine him in defeat.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Eubank Jnr V's Groves apparently taking place in Manchester of London in Feb 2018.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

RIP Smokin’ Joe Frazier, one of the greats, a true legend of boxing.
englebert

Post by englebert »

I wasn't saying Wilder needs to fight Whyte, but was one of the best options as a late replacement after the Ortiz failed drugs test as he was in training for a fight therefore should be ready to fight. like Breazeale was.
Stiverne hadnt fought in 2 years and was clearly out of shape.
I am not saying Whyte deserved a shot at the title on merit under normal circumstances, but that goes the same for most of Wilders opponents
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Wilder's windmill is an embarrassment to boxing.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

WHU Independent wrote:Eubank Jnr V's Groves apparently taking place in Manchester of London in Feb 2018.
One from Brighton, one from London...has to be in London surely.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I heard it was going to be held at Stamford Bridge, that would make sense and I reckon they'd fill it, especially with a decent undercard.

Eubank jr is such a dislikeable little brat, I don't find him that good to watch and his attitude is too much, boxing needs characters and so on but he is just downright rude and disrespectful. I hope Groves lands a big one on him, if he does it will certainly cause the pr!ck some concern.

In other news, Stiverne claims he's going to come back better than ever next year, better at what, pie eating contests? Hot wings challenges? :lol:
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

You cannot have an open stadium fight in February
twixy
Has liked: 1 like

Post by twixy »

Some decent boxing this weekend. Really looking forward to Smith v Williams rematch. I hope we get a proper conclusion this time. Lost all respect for Gallagher and Smith for the way they have spoken about Williams being pulled out. The cut was horrific and he made smith look silly for the 1st half of the fight.

Taylor v Vazquez is also very interesting. I rate Taylor very very highly but Vasquez is no mug. And you can get 20/1 on a vazquez decision which is massive odds IMO.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Agreed mate, I want a Williams win. That cut was horrid last time. I cannot stand Gallagher either

Big statement from Taylor if he can beat Vasquez. I think Taylor is the real deal, expect him to get the win but I don't think he'll have it all his own way.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I really don't like Smith, I hope Williams avenges the controversy of the last fight.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Haven't seen this on here, apologies if I missed it

Fury legal fight 'could bankrupt' UK Anti-Doping
UK Anti-Doping (Ukad) fears it could be made insolvent or require a government bailout over a dispute with Tyson Fury.

Former world heavyweight champion Fury tested positive for a banned steroid in June 2016, and says the adverse result came from eating uncastrated wild boar.

But a legal battle with Ukad over the evidence has meant Fury, 29, has not fought for two years.

Now senior figures at the agency are worried if he were cleared, Fury could sue for loss of earnings.

Given he reportedly makes up to £5m a fight before other revenue streams are factored in, any potential payout would severely challenge Ukad with its annual budget of around £8m.

The public body would also face legal costs for its own lawyers and potentially those of the Fury camp.

The issue has been discussed by Ukad's board recently and has been raised in meetings with the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS), through whom they are accountable to Parliament.

Ukad is believed to have sought guidance from the Government on whether it will effectively underwrite the case.

Ukad and the DCMS both said they were unable to comment.

more...
badabing
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by badabing »

Impressive from Taylor tonight, you can't argue with stopping a guy who's never been stopped in 44 previous.

Also watched some of that Tyson history stuff on BT this week, by god that boy could hit hard, seeing the frustration on Berbicks face, he wanted so much to get up but those legs were scrambled like eggs!