Alan Curbishley: the end of season poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Should Alan Curbishley remain as West Ham United manager for the 2008/09 season?

Yes
69%
No
21%
Unsure
11%

Total votes: 511

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2651 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Re: Alan Curbishley: the end of season poll

Post by EvilC »

kitthehammer wrote:The way i see it, keep him for now but if we are still in the same form we are in now (which is basically relegation form) after 10 games at the start of next season then get rid.
Kit - I can't agree. If you're going to let him reshuffle the squad then don't get rid ten games later. Either let him have the season with his squad or get rid now and let someone else sign and sell players as they see fit. Every time a manager arrives mid-season they talk about wanting to sign players as the squad is short or the team not being as fit as it should. They way to avoid these excuses is to let the guy have a go from the start.

FWIW I voted "unsure".
Fishbone

Post by Fishbone »

No for me. My reasons are dotted about in various Curbishley threads. Has done an Ok job but doesn't have enough to take us forward. If you take away the Derby results we have basically had the same season this year but without the drama in the last few weeks.
Fade & Die

Post by Fade & Die »

I've just voted and it now says 66% yes - 22% no - 10% unsure so where has the other 2% gone? :think:
Big George
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by Big George »

Yes from me, He's done a bloody good job dragging us up from the gutter (both in terms of league position and morally) and establishing a firm foundations. sure its not exactly been like watching Brazil 1970 but its been effective and has got us safe.

its been very strange to have a dull end of season, we haven't had one for 6 or 7 years but after last years excitement that'll do for me.

I think the younger, less historically aware may be ones voting no. we finished 10th, above Tottenham which I'd have taken in August. Thiose who think we should be matching into the top are a tad delusional.
Fishbone

Post by Fishbone »

PeteHerts wrote:I've just voted and it now says 66% yes - 22% no - 10% unsure so where has the other 2% gone? :think:
It rounds it down. 32 / 48 = 66.666% and 11 / 48 = 22.9%
maltab

Post by maltab »

Had to be a yes from me.Delivered what he said he would do,and that was to bring stability to the club,albeit not in the style we are used to,but he has pre- season now to look at the aspects of what was wrong ie fitness of his squad,he has time and support in Nani to assist in possible transfer targets,and he must in his own mind know who is up to scratch in his squad,and who to move on.
So for F..k sake at the start of next season give him and the team your support,don,t c..nt off players just because in your opinion,they should have been sold,and welcome any new signings
Support of our club is 100% important,some of the boos and negative vibes around Upton Park this season have been terrible.Those who have been pissed off with our performances,- can also spend the summer thinking about whether they should go to games or not,because IMO if your not going there to support your team then in all honesty,why bother going .
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

Fishbone wrote: It rounds it down. 32 / 48 = 66.666% and 11 / 48 = 22.9%
You are Corol Vorderman and I claim my First Plus secured loan. :lol:
pbenjy
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by pbenjy »

I voted yes.

He kept us up last year. The league position is alright this year, albiet achieved with a rather mundane brand of football. He deserves a chance to improve (both the league position and the style of football) next year.

One of the unique things about West Ham is that until recent years we have had a low turnover of managers. If Curbishley gets the tin tack now it is just another step down the road of West Ham becoming another boring mid sized mediocre premiership club with nothing to distinguish it from a host of other boring mid sized mediocre premiership clubs.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1293 likes

Post by davids cross »

PeteHerts wrote:I've just voted and it now says 66% yes - 22% no - 10% unsure so where has the other 2% gone? :think:
KUMB polls always add up to 99%, that you have managed to spot a 98% does you credit Sir :lol:
One Peter Butler
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by One Peter Butler »

Yes.
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

Up the Junction wrote:ood: all members are entitled to their opinions, whether that be pro or anti. Opinions, arseholes, etc.
Hmmmm! You never struck me as a Dr Who fan!

I voted to keep him. I understand that we are in the running to sign Kieron Dyer and Craig Bellamy in the close season. Should be good additions to the squad.
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

Bubbles & Squeaks 77 wrote:You are Corol Vorderman and I claim my First Plus secured loan. :lol:
:lol:
joyful

Post by joyful »

yes, but...
Alan, be brave.
I know you hate the phrase "West Ham Way" but it's about loyalty to our own as well as a style of play so I hope you stay.
You've saved us from relegation and you've steadied the ship. You've not got enough credit for that, I believe. Now you can take a few risks. As long as your players are putting in the effort, the crowd will back them. Get your players fit, get rid of a few and even out the wage structure. Don't allow "stars" but do accept that some genuine talents do need to be "managed" differently -- and Ashton may be one of those. Did your mate Fergie treat Cantona the same as the rest or did he cut him a bit of slack?
You have to lead, not just manage. . You need to get better media advisors. Try to be gracious in victory and noble in defeat You need to be honest with your fans and your players. And most of all yourself. It must have been really hard coming out of the safe harbour of Charlton into the rough and demanding waters of Upton Park. But you wanted to do it, didn't you? If you still want the thrill, you're in the right place. If you don't, you should step aside.

Maroonmachine

Post by Maroonmachine »

I've voted Yes. If you leave aside the emotional side of it, to have escaped relegation last year, and this season have us end up five places higher than at the end of last season and in the top half of the table deserves some appreciation.
Yes the play has been very frustrating at times, but I'd rather be where we are today, than being in the Championship saying, ''At least we played attractive football''.
That time will come when we can get the right quality players who will want to come to us because we are in an attractive position in the league and in Europe. Fingers crossed it may be next year, but I just know he's going to get c***ed off already if we finish anything less than 6th.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

joyful wrote:Alan, be brave.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maroonmachine

Post by Maroonmachine »

joyful wrote:yes, but...
Alan, be brave.
I know you hate the phrase "West Ham Way" but it's about loyalty to our own as well as a style of play so I hope you stay.
You've saved us from relegation and you've steadied the ship. You've not got enough credit for that, I believe. Now you can take a few risks. As long as your players are putting in the effort, the crowd will back them. Get your players fit, get rid of a few and even out the wage structure. Don't allow "stars" but do accept that some genuine talents do need to be "managed" differently -- and Ashton may be one of those. Did your mate Fergie treat Cantona the same as the rest or did he cut him a bit of slack?
You have to lead, not just manage. . You need to get better media advisors. Try to be gracious in victory and noble in defeat You need to be honest with your fans and your players. And most of all yourself. It must have been really hard coming out of the safe harbour of Charlton into the rough and demanding waters of Upton Park. But you wanted to do it, didn't you? If you still want the thrill, you're in the right place. If you don't, you should step aside.

Top post :thup:
thamesmeadhammer
Location: Walking in God's Grace, Sunny North Thamesmead, BML Row G 151

Post by thamesmeadhammer »

I say YES

but lose Day and the rest of the coaches and bring new life to the training and on the pitch.

Curbs is a decent manager and has proved his worth over the years.

And picks up decent players every now and then....... :lol:
cockney boy

Post by cockney boy »

otter_of_despair wrote::thup: If you think otherwise you're living in cloud-cuckoo land.
Guess I'm living in cloud cuckoo land then. I suppose you think Curbs should have got us into Europe,especially as we've been so lucky with a relatively injury free season. Sometimes I despair.
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

No with bells on :crest:
whufc4life

Post by whufc4life »

Simply awful second half of the season which i feel was what most people dreaded with Curbs. Unfortunatley he did not prove those people wrong who believed he would do exactly the same with us as he did with Charlton.

Pre season will be massive for Curbs as he may of lost a large section of the fans due to uninspiring performances, awful player management and woeful transfers. He simply HAS to redeem himself by rebuilding the fans faith and signing at least one exciting player that will give the fans some encouragement for the new season.

The problem is i dont think financially the board will give him the same support as he had last season and i do not expect much transfer activity coming inwards from West Ham this summer.

Not only this but i doubt that Curbs, even with Nani wih him, has the knowledge to widen his search outside the premiership for new players.

I want to look forward to the new season but i simply have too many doubts that Curbs can bring exciting football to Upton Park next season.

Its for these reasons i have voted no.