Alan Curbishley: the end of season poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Should Alan Curbishley remain as West Ham United manager for the 2008/09 season?

Yes
69%
No
21%
Unsure
11%

Total votes: 511

aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Re: Alan Curbishley: the end of season poll

Post by aaronhammer »

I sat on the fence with unsure.

He should be manager for the start, if the football continues the way it has then we need a change, if or when we have dyer, bellamy, faubert ect back fit and the football is good and we are picking up points then curbs should stay.

I have no problem where we finished this season just wish the football could have been a bit more exciting
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Countryboy wrote:
Basically, next season is going to be what this season should have been, only delayed 12 months. So let's wait and see what happens when Bellamy, Dyer, Parker and Faubert are all fully-fit, playing in the same side, preferably with Ashton on a new contract up-front. If Curbishley can keep them on the park, extract the potential from what looks like a fantastic first team on paper, and get them playing winning, attractive football, then he'll have proved us sceptics wrong, and he'll deserve our full support, plus an apology for doubting him. If not ... then he can f*** right off! 8-)
Good post..........think most of us can rally round those sentiments :thup:
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

No.

Been unable to motivate the team since we got 40 points. Was more interested in the fact our defensive record was ruined by those three 4-0's rather than the fact the team threw the towel in.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Countryboy wrote:I've never liked Curbishley, I don't think he can use the injuries as an excuse, I've not enjoyed this season one bit, and I'm not renewing my season ticket* ... BUT ...

I voted 'Yes' because Curbishley has earned the right to stay long enough to see what his actual first team looks like.

Basically, next season is going to be what this season should have been, only delayed 12 months. So let's wait and see what happens when Bellamy, Dyer, Parker and Faubert are all fully-fit, playing in the same side, preferably with Ashton on a new contract up-front. If Curbishley can keep them on the park, extract the potential from what looks like a fantastic first team on paper, and get them playing winning, attractive football, then he'll have proved us sceptics wrong, and he'll deserve our full support, plus an apology for doubting him. If not ... then he can f*** right off! 8-)

* because I can't justify paying out all that money when I live hours away, can't get to half the games, and have two kids in college that need paying for
Cunters - well said.

I recommend getting your children to take on a couple of jobs each to pay themselves through college. It may mean that they only get 2 hours sleep a night, underperform in their degrees and hate you forever, but it is a small price to pay for your happiness at being able to keep your season ticket. :wink:
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Countryboy wrote:* because I can't justify paying out all that money when I live hours away, can't get to half the games, and have two kids in college that need paying for
The downside of being a struggling artist :wink:

Pretty balanced analysis CB, shame your old mates at the mail dont feel the need to be so balanced when it comes to west ham :wink:
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 826 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

A top ten finish after all of the injuries that we have had this season has been a great achievement.

The football hasn't been the most exciting but hey, rather that than another relegation threatened year.

Curbs has to stay I'm afraid. Another top ten finish and a decent cup run would be more than acceptable for 2008/09. If we can get Dyer, Bellamy and Faubert fit for next season then we will be a half decent team and will be more exciting to watch. :thup:
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

I think people miss the point. I dont think anyone has a problem with the position we have finished in. Its more to do with how we played to finish there.

Ive spent plenty of money this season to not be entertained for the most part.
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

EvilC wrote: I recommend getting your children to take on a couple of jobs each to pay themselves through college. It may mean that they only get 2 hours sleep a night, underperform in their degrees and hate you forever, but it is a small price to pay for your happiness at being able to keep your season ticket. :wink:
Well, the way I see it, I can either ...

(a) have two daughters moaning that they haven't got any money, while I sit in the Rio Upper being made miserable by yet another afternoon of boring football and booing supporters

OR

(b) I have two girls who love their dad, and I catch up with any West Ham game that sounds half decent on Sky

No contest!! 8-)

(To be fair to my girls, no one has to tell them how to graft. One of them is financing her medical degree by working as a health-care assistant at our local hospital, wiping geriatric arses, making their beds, washing them, emptying their bed-pans, all the menial but essential work nurses won't touch these days. So the least she deserves is a helping hand from her old man.)
HammerSammy

Post by HammerSammy »

Definately a yes from me, I only have to think back to the start of the season, and saying a steady season with mid table/top half finish would be good, add to that the injury crisis we've had to contend with and I'd say the VERY least Curbs deserves is another crack at it with a fit and ready squad. :thup:
Jackanakanory
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jackanakanory »

Quite bizarre that this poll is so unanimous and this one is a lot closer...

What is the difference?

People are unimpressed with the style of play but want him to carry on?

Oh yeah I forgot "Wait until all the injuries clear up" :lol:
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

Jackanakanory wrote:Quite bizarre that this poll is so unanimous and this one is a lot closer...

What is the difference?

Oh yeah I forgot "Wait until all the injuries clear up" :lol:
Well it's not that bizarre given there's been nearly a year between the two polls.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote: Well it's not that bizarre given there's been nearly a year between the two polls.
Plus that poll asks a different question.

I think there are people in this thread who would give Curbishley one more year to get it right next season with a fully fit squad...but i bet they didnt particulary enjoy the way we've played under him this season.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Jackanakanory wrote:Quite bizarre that this poll is so unanimous and this one is a lot closer...

What is the difference?

Exactly. Polls are asking different questions, seems a majority are happy to put up with boring football as long as the Club are around mid-table.

Big first 10 games for Curbs next season, if he is still here, and i have my doubts.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 691 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

carnage wrote: Exactly. Polls are asking different questions, seems a majority are happy to put up with boring football as long as the Club are around mid-table.

Big first 10 games for Curbs next season, if he is still here, and i have my doubts.
shame there cant be a poll seperate polls, one for those that go to games week in week out, one for those that dont.
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

chalks wrote:shame there cant be a poll seperate polls, one for those that go to games week in week out, one for those that dont.
I think it's a shame we can't just rig all the variables to make sure that the outcome of the poll is that most people want Curbs out so I can feel like I'm in the majority and correct.

Is the way I read that statement.

I'm a season ticket holder, I've been to about half the away games (not as much as some naysayers like Romford admittedly) and I'm pro-Curbs so to try to make out everyone at games is pro-Curbs and every at home is anti-Curbs is a massive exaggeration.

PS: Or the other way round even :oops:
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

It's not just those who go alot and those who don't. There is a fundamentally different set of approaches around the following themes

Dour[ish] (but necessary) versus entertaining
risk aversive versus risk taker
easy to replace Curbs with better versus not easy to replace Curbs with better
Charlton over achieved, so WHU will achieve highly versus Charlton mid table=WHU mid table
Same old next year versus improvement next year [under Curbs]
Injuries affected things very badly versus injuries no real excuse
Curbs performance good over 18 months versus performance not particularly spectacular

Probably one or two more. Personally i think the 5-10th place teams all have good managers, we have no divine right to success, had we played open football, or had a less able manager we would have been in the relegation zone all year, so I'm OK with things

Mind I'm an old geezer, and may main fear is going out of the top flight, so anything that keeps things calm keeps my blood pressure down.

So it ain't about attendance or non attendance (regularly). It's about a whole set of attitudes.
Jackanakanory
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jackanakanory »

I have only been to three games this season so I am in no position to be shouting the odds...but here is what I made of the games I saw...

Boro Home - Crowd was fine

Pompey Away - Best Atmos for ages now they have a roof on the away stand

Pompey Home - The crowd were not happy with Alan at that game and a majority of the comments I heard when I was leaving the game were along the lines of he has to go...yet it seems on here that most people want him to stay.

I don't see how people can want boring long ball football, mediocre performances and be happy? Surely there are other teams like Bolton who can better cater to those tastes? :wink:

I am afraid that clubs around us, Citeh, Newcastle, Spurs, Pompey, Villa are gonna spend big and push on more, they have the "character" managers who will sell a club to a player and they can also offer big wages, can Alan do that? Can Nani do that?

Of course I don't know whats gonna happen close season, we may spend some cash and strengthen and all will be rosy.

I do wonder how many games the manager will have next season cos another post xmas slump like this year could see us go down...

Oh well back to work...carry on

Post by 1895 »

MS in the West wrote:
It's not just those who go alot and those who don't.

So it ain't about attendance or non attendance (regularly). It's about a whole set of attitudes.
I'm sorry but it is. If a poll was taken by Season Ticket Holders only then it would show a massive swing in percentages than this poll.

I know quite a few people that sit near me that won't renew their season tickets IF Curbishley is the manager next year and these people had their tickets when we were in The Championship.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Chals makes a good point and thats how I see it, its the people who go who have the issue rather then fans who go to the odd game
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

Well I've seen people do 180 degree somersaults [metaphorically] on here over a few months or from one season to another.

My hunch is that WHU will have fewer injuries, be more exciting, and get more points next year than this year, possibly enough to challenge for Europe.

If that happens we'll get the 'I admit I used to be Curbs biggest critic, and I wanted him out, but he won me over' kind of posts on here this time next year.