Alan Curbishley: the end of season poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Should Alan Curbishley remain as West Ham United manager for the 2008/09 season?

Yes
69%
No
21%
Unsure
11%

Total votes: 511

Roaring Repka

Re: Alan Curbishley: the end of season poll

Post by Roaring Repka »

Puff Daddy wrote: It goes far deeper than that. Our form from January to May was more bottom 3 not top half of the table. We only ended up in the top half due to Spuds not performing and an inconsistent Newcastle. I think we ended up 10th in spite of Curbishley and not because of him.
The whole 'credit the players when things go well, blame the manager when it doesn't' isn't fair - you can't say the good things are in spite of him and the bad things are because of him - it's unfair.

Not that it makes it a great achievement but our post-January form was the 15th best in the league, not relegation form, admittedly from March onwards it has been but that coincided with a harder set of fixtures and injuries to Upson and Ferdinand.

You can say we only finished tenth because of Spurs and Newcastle were poor but by the same token you could say we only went down because Bolton were in good form, we only reached the cup final because we got a lucky semi-final draw, we only stayed up because Man United had the title sewn up - again you can't have it both ways.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Bought badly and has players he now can't afford to pay sitting in the sick room...

Played the most dull, cowardly, short sighted tactics i have ever known from a manager...

Got rid of a very good Medical and fitness science team to bring in his old mates from Charlton....we all know the rest

I'm not one for getting rid of managers but this bloke has given me a season from hell and apparently its none of his fault and he's just been unlucky.

If the bloke cared about this club he would have walked holding his head in shame.

West Ham United has a tradition of playing the game the right way....and any man who doesn't try to keep to those ethics should not be given any more time in my eyes :crest:
Side of Ham

Post by Side of Ham »

Yes, i've always found laying foundations a boring thing to watch
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Post by hammer »

NO
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

hammerdivone wrote: What he said with knobs on!
And what do West Ham teams play football like ?

Some things are far more important than others in my eyes

Post by 1895 »

Romford wrote:Bought badly and has players he now can't afford to pay sitting in the sick room...

Played the most dull, cowardly, short sighted tactics i have ever known from a manager...

Got rid of a very good Medical and fitness science team to bring in his old mates from Charlton....we all know the rest

I'm not one for getting rid of managers but this bloke has given me a season from hell and apparently its none of his fault and he's just been unlucky.

If the bloke cared about this club he would have walked holding his head in shame.

West Ham United has a tradition of playing the game the right way....and any man who doesn't try to keep to those ethics should not be given any more time in my eyes :crest:
Finally. Somebody else that can see the real picture at West Ham :thup:
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

1895 wrote: Finally. Somebody else that can see the real picture at West Ham :thup:
voted no

romford 1895 and whufc4life have it spot on
iloveyoudailly

Post by iloveyoudailly »

I appreciate the job he's done this season, and last year. He achieved both his objectives- kept us up and stabilized us. Unlike most, I don't think he should go in the summer. I don't think he's the right man to lead us into Europe, but anybody who thinks anything short of top six next season is a disaster needs to wake up and smell the Nescafe. One season of mid-table doesn't turn a side destined for the drop into top six contenders. For me next season, top 8 would be a good season. Wouldn't be too unhappy with 9th either, as long as some improvement is made, I think that's a good season. I originally voted no, because I don't like the way we've been playing under Curbishley this season, but I think I might vote again (if that's allowed) and change my vote to unsure. I think he needs a season to get the best out of our creative players. If he fails to do this, no matter where we finish, I think he has to go.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

iloveyoudailly wrote:I appreciate the job he's done this season, and last year. He achieved both his objectives- kept us up and stabilized us. Unlike most, I don't think he should go in the summer. I don't think he's the right man to lead us into Europe, but anybody who thinks anything short of top six next season is a disaster needs to wake up and smell the Nescafe. One season of mid-table doesn't turn a side destined for the drop into top six contenders. For me next season, top 8 would be a good season. Wouldn't be too unhappy with 9th either, as long as some improvement is made, I think that's a good season. I originally voted no, because I don't like the way we've been playing under Curbishley this season, but I think I might vote again (if that's allowed) and change my vote to unsure. I think he needs a season to get the best out of our creative players. If he fails to do this, no matter where we finish, I think he has to go.

What creative players are those fella ?

Our most creative player this season hasn't been utilised and we are apparently not keeping him even though he came on a free and isn't one of the huge wage earners...
iloveyoudailly

Post by iloveyoudailly »

Romford wrote:

What creative players are those fella ?

Our most creative player this season hasn't been utilised and we are apparently not keeping him even though he came on a free and isn't one of the huge wage earners...
Creative players are Dyer, Faubert and Bellamy. If Curbishley fails to play Dyer or Faubert pretty much whenever they are available and in half decent form, then he's got to go for me. Bellamy is an automatic choice, I'm classing him as a creative because he can be played behind the front two to link up with the wingers.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

iloveyoudailly wrote: Creative players are Dyer, Faubert and Bellamy. If Curbishley fails to play Dyer or Faubert pretty much whenever they are available and in half decent form, then he's got to go for me. Bellamy is an automatic choice, I'm classing him as a creative because he can be played behind the front two to link up with the wingers.
I wouldn't call any of those three creative....they are pacy impact players who need to be at full fitness to be fully utilised at hurting defences. Can you see our current medical team ever achieving that ?

Creativity is down to technical skill, quality touch and passing ability and most of all being able to read a game.

And the player that most fits that bill this season is being let go apparently....
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 1667 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

voted no although i can't see a replacement. there has to be one of course ~ a few managers slip under the radar because they're at unfashionable clubs. whether or not someone like that would a) be interested in us or vice versa b) a big name might not be interested with our injury plagued squad and more than likely not having the money to change things around.

i think we get to keep him by default.

boring football, and a lack of true adventure at times (killing teams off when ahead ~ sticking spector on at centre mid !!). others inspired football. home to manure and the bin dippers ~ felt we were worth our win overall.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

There's a difference between flair players and creative players. Dyer and Faubert certainly qualify as creative players. I'd add Ljungberg and possibly Etherington.
iloveyoudailly

Post by iloveyoudailly »

Romford wrote:

I wouldn't call any of those three creative....they are pacy impact players who need to be at full fitness to be fully utilised at hurting defences. Can you see our current medical team ever achieving that ?

Creativity is down to technical skill, quality touch and passing ability and most of all being able to read a game.

And the player that most fits that bill this season is being let go apparently....
In the one full game that Dyer has played for us, I wa very impressed with his touch, he put some decent crosses in too. I think he can read the game well too. Ditto Faubert, in the few games he's played for us he does look to have technical ability and he has good touch. Bellamy's technical ability is excellent, but I do accept your point that all three of these players need to be at near-full, if not full fitness to really hurt defences. No I cannot see our current medical team getting all these players at full fitness for most games, but still I think these players have the qualities to create things, ie be creative. I agree with you on Solano, though, he shouldn't be let go. However, if we're to believe Mr Curbishley, hardly anyone is going anywhere...
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I surprised myself and voted yes even though all things West Ham presently are frustrating the bollax off me.

Curbishley deserves until early December. This summer with the medical team - injuries, transfer activity will determine the start of the season, I sincerely hope we crack on and start playing some decent stuff, if not it's going to be another long and boring season of mediocrity and uninspiring football.

In my eyes Curbishley deserves/has earnt the right to put things right.

I sincerely hope for his and our sake he sorts it :crest:
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1086 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

No... but daddy, I want Mourinho or Mancini, its just not fair :wink:

Seriously, Of course I voted Yes

Stats talk for themselves, so no point bringing them into the scenario again

Turned this club around from being run like a joke with no discipline and kids running around doing what they wanted when they wanted into a well run, professional club... so some of the players dont like him because he rules with some authority... oh didums, poor sods

So, we dont play the 'traditional' way (something we really havent seen much in the last decade anyway)... but we are a premiership team now playing premiership football, the league has changed and we had to change with it or (well look at leicester, leeds and forest)! We want to see more attacking football next season and with some strengthening we now have an excellent platform to build from whether you like to admit it or not

Taking out your frustrations with tickets prices, the board, the stewards, the **** that sits 3 rows behind you on Curbs isnt going to achieve anything at the end of the day imo

Bottom line is... if he wasnt here I could see us looking at the ccc table and wondering why we arent in the playoffs right now wondering what could have been... would you all be more happy with that situation?

If he goes, who comes in? This is something people who dont like the situation should seriously be able to answer imvho
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

Romford wrote:Bought badly and has players he now can't afford to pay sitting in the sick room...
We know the money isn't his fault. Judging on the injuries is difficult, going by all their past records this season couldn't have been predicted. Yes some injury histories, but not many who never play.
Romford wrote:Played the most dull, cowardly, short sighted tactics i have ever known from a manager...
We all know the raw material hasn't been there most of this season. On the rare occassions it has been we've looked a lot better. When it's not defensive tactics are to be expected surely?
Romford wrote:Got rid of a very good Medical and fitness science team to bring in his old mates from Charlton....we all know the rest
Pardew's team follow Pardew and Curb's team follow Curbs. Not exactly a suprise is it, specially when the swap is so easy to achieve. We know the fitness situation is crap, we should wait and see what happens about it and whether this 'enquiry' leads anwhere. It's positive for me that he's reacting to the problem, assuming it's not just PR. Your own spin on Pardew's team being 'science' is a bit of a joke. It's just a new label on an old job.
Romford wrote:I'm not one for getting rid of managers but this bloke has given me a season from hell and apparently its none of his fault and he's just been unlucky.
Some people are saying he's unlucky, but I think more realistically not everything is his fault, particularly on the money side of things.
Romford wrote:If the bloke cared about this club he would have walked holding his head in shame.

Fair enough, I have my doubts about his place in the West Ham tradition too - he's not exactly charismatic, and he's never made any bones about being effective before being entertaining.

I do know that his track record at Charlton is someone delivering steady progress building not just the team but the infrastructure and facilities. He seems to want to be part of that here too, and they seem to making a start on it. I don't see what sacking him achieves in pursuit of a fantasy of "good football played the right way" when they'll have exactly the same set of crocks to work with. We weren't exactly playing good stuff last season either.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote:There's a difference between flair players and creative players. Dyer and Faubert certainly qualify as creative players. I'd add Ljungberg and possibly Etherington.
What has Faubert created in the games this season ?

One cross at City comes to mind...

I would defo call Dyer more flair than Creative...although thats going on what Geordies have told me and the few games i've witnessed for England.

Bowyer has created more than Fred this season
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

Romford wrote: What has Faubert created in the games this season ?

One cross at City comes to mind...
I think his crossing is quality. And we haven't seen anything close to his best yet. Hopefully we've learnt our lesson from Ashton and people won't be ****ing him off in September for being **** and not up to prem standard. I won't count on it, though.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

QuintonNimoy wrote: We know the money isn't his fault. Judging on the injuries is difficult, going by all their past records this season couldn't have been predicted. Yes some injury histories, but not many who never play.
We all know the raw material hasn't been there most of this season. On the rare occassions it has been we've looked a lot better. When it's not defensive tactics are to be expected surely?
Pardew's team follow Pardew and Curb's team follow Curbs. Not exactly a suprise is it, specially when the swap is so easy to achieve. We know the fitness situation is crap, we should wait and see what happens about it and whether this 'enquiry' leads anwhere. It's positive for me that he's reacting to the problem, assuming it's not just PR. Your own spin on Pardew's team being 'science' is a bit of a joke. It's just a new label on an old job.
Some people are saying he's unlucky, but I think more realistically not everything is his fault, particularly on the money side of things.
Fair enough, I have my doubts about his place in the West Ham tradition too - he's not exactly charismatic, and he's never made any bones about being effective before being entertaining.

I do know that his track record at Charlton is someone delivering steady progress building not just the team but the infrastructure and facilities. He seems to want to be part of that here too, and they seem to making a start on it. I don't see what sacking him achieves in pursuit of a fantasy of "good football played the right way" when they'll have exactly the same set of crocks to work with. We weren't exactly playing good stuff last season either.
Thats some very clever qouting fella..,.i will give you that.

As for my "Spin"...its an opinion fella. I don't spin anything but say it as i see it.

I don't travel hundreds of miles every other week to watch "effective" football....you are trying to make it look that Curbishly has only played ultra defensive when we haven't had enough fit players.

We both know that is cobblers

As for the Fitness side...Curbs put it about that he didn't believe in the sports science and he was out of the "Old School". I have been about a very long time and have witnessed combacks in the last 5 seasons from various players in weeks when a decade ago the same injuries werre career threatening

If you are trying to tell me that the people Pards had in place were no better than the ones that are there now ??