Summer transfer gossip (c&p only please)

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

joyful

Re: Summer transfer gossip (c&p only please)

Post by joyful »

[quote]James Collins is the final player currently on Albion's radar. Talks with West Ham are progressing with a view to completing a loan deal. There is little urgency on Albion's part as the Welsh international is currently recovering from a major knee injury.[/quote]

from the Birmingham Mail online today...
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 11,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hammers boss Alan Curbishley is keen to find a defender ahead of next weekend's season opener at home to Wigan.

Thatcher, who is a free agent after his contract at The Valley expired, has been handed a trial with the Hammers after being released by the Addicks this summer.

It is believed West Ham will choose between Swiss ace Bruno Berner and Thatcher as they look to replace McCartney, who will miss the start of the season with a hamstring injury.

The 32-year-old left-back, who is a free agent after his contract at The Valley expired, played the first half of West Ham's 1-1 draw against Villarreal on Saturday after managing 74 minutes for West Ham's reserves in a 2-0 win at Bishop's Stortford on Tuesday.

Thatcher joined Charlton from Manchester City in January 2007 for £500,000 and made 22 appearances, although he missed a large chunk of last season with a knee injury.

Curbishley told the West Ham website: "Ben Thatcher is a vastly-experienced full-back and is keen to offer us cover with George McCartney and Jonathan Spector unavailable."

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy handed a trial to Wales international Thatcher a fortnight ago after he had previously turned down a move to Ipswich.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_ur ... =Translate

West Ham apparently comming in with a bid for Almeria Left Winger Mane for 5 million (not sure if euros or pounds)
H4g5ster

Post by H4g5ster »

sanchoz wrote:http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_ur ... =Translate

It follows bottled the sport direction of the heliopolitano set in reinforcing the first group for the season that will begin the last day of the month in course, and is that up to three players they could more arrive at the discipline of Short Alpaca. Two of them could come from Almeria, I flowed and Dark brown, and the third party, of Liege, something more far, Jovanovic

The case of both first, the lateral ones of Dark brown Almeria and I flowed, could come directed by a joint supply, valued between 6 and 7 million Euros, although the negotiation by I flowed could be complicated after the appearance in scene of the West English Ham. As they point the companions of Mark in his edition of today, the English set would be prepared to reach 5 million by the hiring of the left-handed person, whereas the Betis only offers two “kilos”. From Almeria set knows this supply already, and by this amount yes that would be arranged to undo of the player. The endorsement on which it counts the bético equipment is that the soccer player wants, and has already said it by active and passive getting to still bother to his companions of the equipment rojiblanco, to play at all costs in Heliópolis. It is in this in which the organization is based verdiblanca to force one more a cheaper exit, although will have to raise the supply if it wants that Almeria accepts the crossing. Reason why the Betis would have to hurry, if it is interested really in this player, to raise the supply and to take to the left-handed defense.

On the other hand, the name of Milan Jovanovic is the one that more force is sounding to reinforce the heliopolitana advantage the next campaign, along with the one of Baros, that in the last hours seems related seriously to the future of the Betis. According to again this newspaper, PSV Eindhoven and Juventus have offered each a little more 5 million Euros to take control of the services of the Serbian forward of the Standard of Liege. Equipment Belgian asks by him enters 7 and 8 million of Euros, player very of taste of trainer trianero, with good poster in Belgium and that it could be that surprise that was going to give Lopera to him Short, according to this last one commented in one of his public appearances of this preseason.
Thats cleared that up then.
munichhammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by munichhammer »

From todays Screws

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/article12063.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CURBS IS SO APPI
Hammers close in on Ghana skipper Appiah
Stephen Appiah
TARGET - Appiah will fill the void left by Kieron Dyer and Freddie Ljungberg

By ROB SHEPHERD, 10/08/2008
WEST HAM are considering a £6million bid for Ghana skipper Stephen Appiah.

With Kieron Dyer injured again and Freddie Ljungberg off the payroll, the Hammers board are ready to sanction a move for the midfielder.

Former Juventus star Appiah, 27, is now with Fenerbahce but the Turks are ready to cash in.

Appiah was kept out of this year’s African Cup of Nations by a blood clot on the knee and would have to undergo a stringent medical before any move to Upton Park.
Arch Dandy

Post by Arch Dandy »

The People..

HOTLINE - Curbs set for a job in Tank command
BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE EXCLUSIVE
By Alan Nixon

West Ham aree poised to fire off a £5million bid for Chilean super striker Sebastian Pinto - the hitman nicknamed The Tank - if Dean Ashton is sold.

The Hammers have watched Pinto, who has just joined Brazilian side Santos, but is available and keen to come to the Premier League.

New technical director Gianluca Nani is behind the move and boss Alan Curbishley has yet to see Pinto to give the deal his blessing, which could be a big test of their working relationship.

The powerful Pinto would be an ideal replacement for Ashton, who is being strongly linked with Tottenham.

West Ham would sell at the right price - about £16million - and the Hammers hierarchy have worked overtime to check out Pinto.

The 22-year-old Pinto (right) quit Universidad de Chile to join Santos a few months ago, but is tipped to move to Europe.

Advertisement

Pinto has only one cap and might not get a work permit, but the Hammers think there is a strong case for getting him on appeal.

West Ham are also talking to Paris St Germain about £4million-rated winger Jerome Rothen.

The Hammers are weighing up how much to offer for the French star after PSG rejected a proposed swap deal involving Freddie Ljungberg tabled before he had his contract paid up.

Rothen, 30, who has 13 France caps, is desperate to leave after a season in which fans threatened him at his home and damaged his car.

Asource close to the talks said: "West Ham are interested in Rothen and he's very tempted. He wants to leave because he's never settled in Paris."

Wigan tried to tie-up a £4million deal for ex-Monaco midfielder Rothen in May.

Meanwhile, Nolber to Solano's switch to LA Galaxy has collapsed after problems with pay and the MLS season dates.

Solano, 3 3, was released by West Ham in May and is training with Watford ahead of a possible move.

A source close to the Peruvian said: "The LA move is unlikely to happen now. It's a question of timing and other priorities."
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

Hammers boss "doesn't understand" Thatcher jeers

3:16pm Monday 11th August 2008

comment Comments (0) Have your say »

WEST Ham United manager Alan Curbishley has called on the club’s fans to stop booing trialist Ben Thatcher.

The former Millwall, Wimbledon and Tottenham Hotspur left-back has played twice for the Irons in pre-season after being released by Charlton Athletic.

However, the decision to take Thatcher on as a possible back-up to injured first-choice George McCartney has not sat well with many Irons supporters, who are unhappy with the player’s career history.

Not only has he played for two of the Hammers’ biggest rivals, but Thatcher has also been in trouble following a number of high-profile disciplinary problems.

However, despite the jeering that Thatcher received during Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Villarreal at Upton Park, Curbishley believes the 32-year-old Wales international could be a worthwhile acquisition.

“I didn’t quite understand it,” he said.

“I don’t think George will be too far away so we’re looking for some experienced cover and we took the opportunity to give Ben half a game.

“Perhaps the fans don’t understand what the situation is. I’ll have to think about it.”
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

St Etienne have denied speculation linking them with a move for Lens left-back Nadir Belhadj.

Belhadj has been linked with a move away from Stade Felix Bollaert with Portsmouth and West Ham also linked with a move for the 26-year-old.

However, St Etienne appear to have ruled themselves out of the race for the Algeria international after releasing a statement denying they are looking to recruit any players in the left-back position.

“ASSE formally deny being in contact with this player and would equally like to state they are not on the look-out for a left back.

“The club at the moment can count on several quality players in the squad who are capable of occupying that position.”

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/ ... j-reports/
Arch Dandy

Post by Arch Dandy »

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 85,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

West Ham have handed a trial to Trinidad & Tobago international Keon Daniel.

The Hammers spotted Daniel during England's friendly clash with T&T in Port of Spain earlier this summer.

Now 21-year-old Daniel has been invited to East London to train with The Hammers with a view to winning a move to Upton Park.

However, Daniel's trial has been delayed until after 20th August - when T&T face Cuba in a World Cup qualifier.

"It's going to be a great opportunity for me and it's one I'm looking forward to," said the United Petrotrin midfielder.

"I'm not worried as once I get over there I will give it my best and show what I can do."

United experience
As a teenager Daniel was handed a trial by Manchester United in 2005 and he is looking forward to returning to England.

"Going over before I started playing for the national team may have been a bit strange but now I'm playing regularly and I have been to England before so this time I know what to expect in terms of the conditions," Daniel told TTFF Media.

"They [West Ham] actually wanted me to come earlier this month but I couldn't because of the matches we have now leading up to Cuba. So arrangements have been made for me to go up after the Cuba game.

"If things work out for me we also have to look at the transfer deadline which is August 31."
BostonHammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by BostonHammer »

HAMMERS TALK: Could West Ham make a sensational move for old boy Cole?
TRANSFER rumours are circulating that West Ham could be set to make a sensational move to bring back former trainee and star player Joe Cole to Upton Park.

Since Phil Scolari took over as manager at Chelsea, Cole isn't thought to be guarnteed a starting role. And if this remains the case when the campaign kicks off at the weekend, then this could spark interest from the Hammers in the England international, who is sure to want to play regular first team football.

Cole moved to Chelsea in 2003 following West Ham's relegation from the Premier League in a £6million deal, and he has since appeared over 200 times for the Blues. However, he is destined to spend much of the upcoming season on the bench for Chelsea, so a move to another Premier League club may be the best option. Not only would a return to Upton Park please fans, it would help to ease some of the Hammers' injury woes, with influential players such as Craig Bellamy sidelined for the start of the season.
http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/sport/ ... d_boy_Cole_/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
munichhammer

Post by munichhammer »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -loan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Baggies want fit-again Hammers defender Collins on loan

By Sportsmail Reporter
Last updated at 11:37 PM on 13th August 2008

* commentsComments (0)
* Add to My Stories Add to My Stories

West Bromwich Albion have opened talks with West Ham United to sign Welsh international central defender James Collins on loan.
Collins

Fit again soon: And James Collins could be sent out on loan

Albion want to take the former Cardiff City centre half on a long term loan with an option to make the deal permanent in January.

Collins, 24, is currently sidelined as he recovers from knee surgery but is closing in on a return to fitness.

Albion manager Tony Mowbray signed Ivory Coast international central defender Abdoulaye Meite from Bolton for £2.5m earlier this week but still wants another centre half.
Memorial Ground

Post by Memorial Ground »

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/ ... -West-Ham/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sergio Garcia's father and representative has confirmed West Ham have been in contact regarding the Real Zaragoza forward.

After previously being linked with Tottenham, before Juande Ramos stated he did not want to sign the player, Garcia has emerged as a possible target for The Hammers.

A move to London would appeal to the Catalan attacker but no offer has yet been forthcoming from Upton Park.

"It is true that there has been contact but I do know that there is no offer," said Garcia Snr to Equipo.

"We would be happy to negotiate with West Ham or other clubs if it is good both for him and the club.

"If an offer comes that means Sergio can continue to evolve and, in turn, compensate Zaragoza with good money, it'll be studied."

The pony-tailed 25-year-old has two caps for Spain and has also been linked with Stoke City recently.
irons scally
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by irons scally »

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/f ... e14156.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PRIMARY TARGET - Roy Keane looks to bolster his defence with Ferdinand
By ROB SHEPHERD, 17/08/2008

SUNDERLAND have tabled an £8million bid for West Ham centre-half Anton Ferdinand.

The Hammers are ready to accept the offer having been surprised that Ferdinand has just turned down a generous offer of a new contract.

West Ham were ready to double Ferdinand’s money — pushing him towards the £40,000-a-week bracket.

But the former England Under-21 international defender has snubbed it. Aware of the current deadlock, Sunderland boss Roy Keane who wants to bolster his defence as he seeks to push the club on this season, has moved in.

North East rivals Newcastle have also expressed an interest in Ferdinand, 23, but have yet to make a firm bid.

Sunderland, on the other hand, were hoping to push the deal through in time for the big kick-off. But Ferdinand is still pondering his future.

Threat
The player will have to reflect that, after more than two years of being a regular at Upton Park, his place is under threat with the emergence of 19-year-old James Tomkins.

And he may feel playing under Keane could be the boost his career needs having failed to step up to full international level.

The Hammers are keen to reverse a policy of offloading products of their academy.

Over the past decade, stars such as Anton’s brother Rio, Frank Lampard, Joe Cole and Michael Carrick have all moved on.

But the club feels that, with Tomkins coming off the production line, it would be good business to cash in on Ferdinand and clear a path for Tomkins to claim a regular place.

Tomkins made five first-team appearances at the end of last season and is regarded as a future senior England international.

With Matthew Upson, Danny Gabbidon and James Collins also in the squad, the London club is well stocked for centre-backs.

So the club will not stand in Ferdinand’s way if he decides to move on.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Harry Redknapp has been linked with a return to West Ham - and the Sunday Supplement panel agreed it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Portsmouth boss Redknapp enjoyed a successful spell as manager at Upton Park from 1994 to 2001 and is still held in high regard among the notoriously demanding West Ham supporters.

Alan Curbishley is the bookmakers' favourite to be the first Premier League manager to be sacked this season and despite an opening-day win over Wigan, the Sunday Mirror claims West Ham chiefs are lining up Redknapp to replace him.

Assessing the situation on The Sunday Supplement, The Sun's Shaun Custis admitted it is a real possibility and suggested that Redknapp would be keen to return to Upton Park.

Custis said: "If I was Alan Curbishley I would be worried about that story because Paul Smith is just about the best-connected journalist there is in Portsmouth.

"It looks to me like there's definitely something in it so I'd say Alan Curtbishley hasn't got very long at the start of this season if they don't get off to a flyer.

"I'm not saying West Ham should get rid of Curbishley, but Harry's their favourite son, he's done a magnificent job with Portsmouth and he did a magnificent job with West Ham beforehand.

"Portsmouth, from Harry's point of view, don't seem to want to spend any more money - or don't have any money - and for Harry I think it would be a very attractive proposition to go back again.

"From Curbishley's point of view he hasn't quite won over the West Ham fans, there was a little bit of disgruntlement among the supporters last season - but then there often is at West Ham.

"I just think there's no smoke without fire in this one. Harry Redknapp seems to have been angling to get away from Portsmouth over the summer and there's clearly a bit of unrest in the way Harry feels at Portsmouth."

http://www.skysports.com/tv_show/story/ ... 21,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Billericay Hammer
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Billericay Hammer »

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 00740.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sunderland await decision by Ferdinand after agreeing £8m fee

Sunderland should discover today if Anton Ferdinand is to become their next major signing after the Wearside club and West Ham agreed a fee in the region of £8m for the 23-year-old centre-half over the weekend.

But it is by no means a certainty that London-born Ferdinand will wish to move to the North-East, with Newcastle having failed when expressing interest earlier this summer, and other clubs are believed to be monitoring Ferdinand's situation. He did not play in the Hammers' 2-1 win over Wigan on Saturday.

Roy Keane is eager to sign a new central defender, with on-loan Jonny Evans having returned to Manchester United, who will not now consider a sale. Sunderland's need for strengthening in that area was evident on Saturday when they lost to a late goal from Liverpool's Fernando Torres, who was given time and space by the makeshift central pairing of Nyron Nosworthy and Danny Collins.
Essex Dave

Post by Essex Dave »

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 04,00.html

Premier duo on Appiah alert
West Ham and Portsmouth chase Ghana star
By Peter O'Rourke Last updated: 18th August 2008

Appiah: Looking for move

Skysports.com understands Stephen Appiah could be set for a move to England after revealing he is quitting Fenerbahce.

Appiah is hoping to have his contract with the Turkish giants cancelled as he claims they have stopped paying him after a bust-up with the club.

The Ghana international has been at loggerheads with Fener since January after the club decided to freeze his contract because of fitness problems.

The midfield powerhouse's relationship with Fenerbahce began to break down after Appiah claimed he was wrongly guided by the club's medical staff last season after suffering problems in his rehabilitation from knee surgery.

Appiah is now hoping Fifa will allow him to cancel the one year remaining on his contract so that he can find a new club.

Sad
"For the fans of Fenerbahce, I am sad to announce that after giving my all to this club I personally love, the management have made it impossible for me stay," Appiah told his official website.

"Two seasons ago even when I was injured I agreed to play for Fenerbahce just to make sure we won the title and I am happy that I did because of my commitment to the club.

"Since then there has been some dishonest briefings to the Turkish media about the complications from the surgery.

"Since they have stopped paying my salary I am now a free agent and I expect that status to be confirmed by Fifa later this month."

Attractive
The African's status as a possible free agent make him an attractive proposition for a number of clubs, with the likes of West Ham and Portsmouth believed to be tracking the former Juventus man.

Appiah has been linked with a move to England before and the 27-year-old is thought to be keen on trying his luck in the Premier League.

West Ham are in the market for midfield reinforcements after allowing Freddie Ljungberg to leave the club.

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp is also weighing up a move for Appiah as he seeks a replacement for Sulley Muntari.
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

C+P http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -Talk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

West Ham are keen on 32-year-old striker Diego Tristan. The former Spain international has had unsuccesful spells at Real Mallorca and Livorno in the last few years after leaving Deportivo La Coruna.
munichhammer

Post by munichhammer »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... d-bid.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spurs preparing Ferdinand swoop after West Ham reject £6m Sunderland bid

Long-term Spurs target Anton Ferdinand could finally make his much-speculated move to White Hart Lane after West Ham rejected a £6million bid for the defender from big-spending Sunderland.

With West Ham needing to slash their budget, 22-year-old Ferdinand is favourite to leave the Hammers after rejecting a new contract.

And Spurs are favourites to land the young defender, with the club eager to bolster a back four that contains injury-prone defenders Jonathan Woodgate and Ledley King.

Jumping ship: Ferdinand looks to be heading away from the Boleyn Ground

Meanwhile, the Hammers and Portsmouth will battle it out to sign ex-Juventus midfielder Stephen Appiah, after the Ghanaian midfielder turned his back on Fenerbahce after a spat with club directors.
Stephen Appiah

Pompey boss Harry Redknapp is a long-standing admirer of 27-year-old Appiah, who remarked: 'I am a free agent. There are a few offers but I want to make the right choice,' he told local radio station Happy FM in Accra.
pantsil_legend

Post by pantsil_legend »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... -20704900/

West Ham set for talk with The Tank Sebastian Pinto

West Ham are bringing in Chilean striker Sebastian Pinto for talks this week.

The Hammers hope to clinch a shock deal with Brazilian club Santos for the player nicknamed The Tank in his homeland. He has been invited in for a brief trial with a view to a full-time switch to Upton Park.

Pinto has just joined Santos but fell out with the coach and is available on a season-long loan. He is keen to come to England and has accepted the West Ham invitation despite rival offers.
Bromleyboy
Location: ....waiting for the lift so I can go to the next level
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Bromleyboy »

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/ ... 07,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anton mulling Keane offer - Report

Tottenham will not offer Anton Ferdinand the chance to stay in London so the West Ham defender will decide on a move to Sunderland in 48 hours.

The Black Cats are refusing to comment on claims they have tabled an £8million offer for Ferdinand after drawing a blank in their long-standing pursuit of Manchester United's Jonny Evans.

However, there have been reports Ferdinand has promised Roy Keane an answer within the next 48 hours.

Keane has been away from the club and it would be no surprise if that has involved an attempt to try to sell his vision for the club to the 23-year-old centre-half.

However, that could prove problematic with Ferdinand understood to have rejected the chance of a move to derby rivals Newcastle earlier this summer because of his unwillingness to leave the capital.

There have been suggestions that Tottenham could solve that problem by offering him a way out of Upton Park, although that was played down by sources in the south on Tuesday.

The Londoners are in the market for defensive recruits after selling Younes Kaboul and Anthony Gardner this summer, but it is understood that Ferdinand's name is not currently on their wish-list.

The anticipated return from injury of Wales centre-back James Collins could help speed the departure of Ferdinand.

Collins missed virtually all last season with groin and knee problems and eventually needed surgery in February for cruciate ligament damage.

But if he comes through a private practice match this week, Alan Curbishley will have an abundance of options in central defence and Ferdinand's move to Sunderland should go through.

Meanwhile Curbishley has not ruled out diving into the transfer market again before the close of the August window, having bought only £5million Swiss right-back Valon Behrami from Lazio and reserve goalkeeper Jan Lastuvka from Shakhtar Donetsk in the summer - and seeing Swedish midfielder Freddie Ljungberg being paid to tear up his contract.

He said: "Like everybody else we are trying to see if we can sign people but the hardest thing at the moment is to get somebody to say yes.

"I'm hopeful one or two of the injured will be back in contention for Sunday's game at Manchester City and so we'll see, but we've got two weeks left before the window shuts and it will probably go right to the end for us."