Kia, Sheff Utd, Duxbury, McCabe and arbitration

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

ChicagoHammer

Re: Kia, Sh*ff Utd, Duxbury, McCabe and arbitration

Post by ChicagoHammer »

We had to pay them or the accountants wouldn't sign off on us as a going concern. We got backed into a corner and Sheff. Utd. extorted money from us. Money we wouldn't have handed over if this ruling had come out earlier.
Mad Professor
Has liked: 272 likes

Post by Mad Professor »

[quote="cockneySparrow") The press owe us big time. Obviously it probably wont do us any good to start charging in with defamation litigation but now our PR team should start to call in the favours the gutter press owe us. [/quote]

Cue Martin Samuels perhaps. But I do think that deciding to pay them the money has done us no favours by being widely taken as an admission of guilt! We got off this time by the Scottish judicial decision of 'not proven'. It might be wise to pay up and rattle no more cages imo.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Cancel the direct debit. Simples.
dplus91
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by dplus91 »

Morocco Mole wrote:Cancel the direct debit. Simples.
I'd be stunned if our settlement agreement with Sheffield Utd didn't incorporate an ability for them to sue us if we don't pay up. They wouldn't need to sue on the issue again, merely on us defaulting on the agreement.

What's done is done.
Glory Hunter
Location: Dreaming Dreams, Scheming Schemes, Building Castles High
Has liked: 13 likes

Post by Glory Hunter »

f*** it, tell 'em to go whistle. If they want the money they have to sue us again - at least let make it cost them as much as possible to wring every penny from us.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

No doubt Holt and the Daily Mail will have WEST HAM ARE INNOCENT headlines and articles tomorrow
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

See this thread is approaching its 2nd anniversary too
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

dplus91 wrote: I'd be stunned if our settlement agreement with Sh*ffield Utd didn't incorporate an ability for them to sue us if we don't pay up. They wouldn't need to sue on the issue again, merely on us defaulting on the agreement.

What's done is done.
So, we counter-sue...

For a legal bod, Duckers seems curiously averse to the court-room. £25 million buys an awful lot of days in the high court. Would you rather your hard earned ST money was spent fighting for the good name of the club or handed over to McCabe with nothing but a whimper on the strength of some old c**** deposition....?
Suffolkhammer

Post by Suffolkhammer »

This news must surely warrant a full apology from that steaming heap of puss in Wigan who so confidently predicted that this enquiry would see the real truth emerge at last. Well it has, and all his twisted comments and innuendo in support of his northern bumchums have been proved to be nothing more than biased crap. Surely there must be a case for the PL to ban this skeletal hasbeen from participation in the league for attempting to bring another team into disrepute.
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

Will the club make an official announcement regarding the latest ruling?

Be interesting to hear if they have anything to say? Also those northern vultures have been very quiet as well.

With regard to the accounts, could our accountants not have waited until this announcement before signing off our accounts?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote:We chose to pay them.
One the Griffiths ruling was made we had no choice but to pay them.

We chose to settle out of court.

On the bright side ... here's the latest from our friends in the north ...
Season ticket refunds?

I hear rumours people are asking/getting these on the basis of the Kyles going.

I am assuming this is rubbish as I can't see the club even entertaining it - anyone heard different?

After 30 years of sometimes ridiculously loyal support and personal sacrifices, I won't be renewing next season if we sell both Kyles.

I'm not sue why but these possible sales hurt me more than any of the other massive let downs over the years, maybe cos I really belived we had changed and having chatted with McCabe a few times I believed in him.

Anyway,if refunds are going round I'll take one.
What comes around ...
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Up the Junction wrote:Once the Griffiths ruling was made we had no choice but to pay them.

We chose to settle out of court.

Can't that new ruling be over turned in the light of this new evidence, or lack of it in this case?
Memorial Ground

Post by Memorial Ground »

We did choose to pay them, and that is the sickener.

We chose to pay them because our owner was one of the biggest sufferers in the world by the credit crunch (hate that phrase) and we couldn't get our accounts signed off. Not really a choice, but I suppose in the eyes of the law it was.

All round stinks, and I doubt there's anything we can do.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

Up the Junction wrote: One the Griffiths ruling was made we had no choice but to pay them.
Are you talking legally or in terms of what was sensible? I agree we had no option, but the post I was replying to was asking why we have to pay after winning four and losing one. I was pointing out that as far as I was aware, legally speaking, we didn't 'have' to pay, but chose to pay.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

prophet:marginal wrote:
How's that then?
Zola4ever wrote: i just think once we settled that was the end of it, i think the FA saw it as that as well, i said it at the time that once we settled the fa hearing would just fade away
Not having a pop, but I disagree with that.

If that's was their reasoning, they'd not have confirmed they'd independently considered the evidence available to them.

They did consider it and found there was no case. That is in spite of our decision to agree the terms of compo, not because of it.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote:Are you talking legally or in terms of what was sensible?
Both, if we're assuming what SD told us is gospel.

Legally we would have been forced to pay a sum set by Griffiths' panel had we not settled OOC following the initial finding (you will recall SUFC wanted £50m+), sensible in terms that had we not done so we may well have gone to the wall (because we didn't have two beans to rub together at that particular time ... the way it was done leaves us barely affected by it whilst SUFC reap no tangible benefit and still have to sell their best players).
joyful2

Post by joyful2 »

It's very good news for us. Removes the last possible impediment to a new owner taking over.

But I agree with those who think it was a formality once we settled out of court. The FA and PL want the thing to go away just as much as we do...
I am Legend
Has liked: 1550 likes
Total likes: 1622 likes

Post by I am Legend »

well thats the end of that chapter hopefully

now lets spend the next few years making the headlines for the right reasons, premier league, great football, europe, possibly a trophy
Billbanksy

Post by Billbanksy »

I wonder if we will stop paying Sheffield United now and ask for our money back that we already paid?

Scott Duxbury is a lawyer and settled because he had to. He said so in his KUMB interview and also said that "All the lawyers told us that we couldn't possibly lose Sheffield. Their claim was flawed on many levels."

and "Then, there was the absurd judgment of Lord Griffiths; I think my views on him have been well documented. Then the owner goes bankrupt and the financial situation of the club means although we're self-sufficient, it became clear to me we simply couldn't risk an absurd decision by Lord Griffiths that says the full £40million what Sheffield United are claiming is payable, and it's payable within seven days - which would be the award. So at that point I made a decision that you've got to actually put personal feelings to one side and realise that we should negotiate a settlement - no matter how unpalatable."

So Scott Duxbury as a lawyer, should have negotiated a deal whereby any subsequent judgements negate the agreed settlement, even if by default...
WHID to deserve this?

Post by WHID to deserve this? »

How long do you think it will take the Blades to come out with a statement saying they are pleased that there was indeed 'Fairness in Football' afterall?

I hope this now draws a line under the entire matter.

I am sure Sheff Utd will not cash the cheques in the interest of the aforementioned 'Fairness in Football' - as someone has already mentioned, I think this makes it 4 - 1 overall in the Court Cup Final to West Ham. Funnily enough, this was almost the exact scoreline to the Blades in the PL when Mr Tevez played at Bramall Lane.