Alan Curbishley: the poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Alan Curbishley:

Back him
85%
Sack him
15%

Total votes: 536

TheWHU
Total likes: 1 like

Re: Alan Curbishley: the poll

Post by TheWHU »

Back him all the way.

The Blackburn game with the Ince factor couldn't have come at a better time as it helped create a decent atmosphere. If we can carry that into the West Brom and Newcastle games we could get some positive results.
With 87% of people seemingly backing him, then a decent atmosphere should be enough to drown out the 'all too quick to boot him out brigade'.
Eastbourne Hammer

Post by Eastbourne Hammer »

Currently 87% on Back Him.

Good.

It got my vote too.
hammer2192

Post by hammer2192 »

Its nice to see that the majority of fans back him, no doubt the people who dont were the fans singing sacked in the morning at home to Macclesfield.
PaulTheHammer

Post by PaulTheHammer »

hammer2192 wrote:Its nice to see that the majority of fans back him, no doubt the people who dont were the fans singing sacked in the morning at home to Macclesfield.
Honestly mate, there are definitely sections of the crowd that just go to cause trouble. By that I don't mean physically but I mean verbally and are generally a pain in the backside. I suspect it was that mindless group getting on Curbs back.
paul.nicholas1990

Post by paul.nicholas1990 »

Back him :crest: sacking him might be bad for morale around the club.
Boris73

Post by Boris73 »

Considering national polls view a sample of 1000 to be a foundation for judging the views of a nation of 60 million I'd say the 400 polled thus far gives a fairly solid indication of how people feel (and yes I know there are issues over the self selection of the sample). Still I imagine a sqaure root of f*** all journalists would be prepared to consider this before they write their next "West Ham fans are just scum who hate everybody" article.

I'd like to be proved wrong though.
thamesmeadhammer
Location: Walking in God's Grace, Sunny North Thamesmead, BML Row G 151

Post by thamesmeadhammer »

Back Him as I have said all along............... :crest:
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

12% are against curbs

12% 0f our 35,000 crowd is 4200

if we had 4200 away fans in the ground all booing or chanting something they would be clearly heard withing the ground

so this portayal of the fans all wanting him gone could easilly be levelled at the fans if you can clearly hear the minority

in the pards votes its was about 30% who were out of favour with him
ajarn col

Post by ajarn col »

sicknote wrote:12% are against curbs

12% 0f our 35,000 crowd is 4200

if we had 4200 away fans in the ground all booing or chanting something they would be clearly heard withing the ground

so this portayal of the fans all wanting him gone could easilly be levelled at the fans if you can clearly hear the minority
It's always the negative minority that are the most vocal on any subject when times seem hard or not perfect.

Let's hope that now the silent majority will at last make ourselves heard.

Alan Curbishley's Claret And Blue Army
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

Voted sack him, although like Romford im sympathetic towrads the way he has been terated by the club.
PaulTheHammer

Post by PaulTheHammer »

chalks wrote:Voted sack him, although like Romford im sympathetic towrads the way he has been terated by the club.
As a member of the 12%, why do you think this is a good idea and why is now the right time to do it?

I'm not picking an argument, I'm just generally interested in the responses.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

PaulTheHammer wrote: As a member of the 12%, why do you think this is a good idea and why is now the right time to do it?

I'm not picking an argument, I'm just generally interested in the responses.

Becuase i despise his negative tactics and want someone with a bit of passion to come in and fire up the players.
PaulTheHammer

Post by PaulTheHammer »

chalks wrote:
Becuase i despise his negative tactics and want someone with a bit of passion to come in and fire up the players.
Fair point mate but I think the timing is not the best in the slightest. It will merely unsettle things even further, this action should have been taken at the end of last season if BG was so sure this wasn't the right man for the job.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1860 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

Back him.

For now at least, can't see the point in changing manager now. While I agree the style of football isn't great a new guy couldn't change any of the current squad of players if he wanted to so give him until Nov/Dec, the right time for change is before the transfer window (if there is one).

Agree with comments that his treatment has been shameful too.
Gezza

Post by Gezza »

The club said well before the close of the window that our squad was too big and we had to trim the wage bill.

Thats exactly what we've done. (Players sold are the only ones that we had bids for)

McCartney wanted to go for family reasons. So why would Curbs be upset with the club?????

Media beatup as usual.

I for 1 will be giving him a fair go, which is more than some so called fans are. :D
Karlos

Post by Karlos »

Back him...

I understand the complaints about the football last year. I'm a season ticket holder and had to watch it too. But I really feel that Curbs was left no choice but to play that style of football due to the unprecedented injuries within the squad. The players available were simply incapable of playing expansive attacking football, so Curbs had to play to their strengths and make sure that we stayed up. It wasn't pretty to watch but it was a darn sight prettier than watching Championship football again this year. Now the players are coming back, we've got some good wingers, and two excellent strikers.

Let's see what Curbs can do with his first choice team, I'm sure he isn't going to look to pack the midfield and hold on to one goal leads with players like Faubert, Behrami and Bellamy in the team. He's met all his targets so far and deserves time to expand on that. He achieved safety, then consistency, now he has the opportunity to push on and I think a few people might be surprised.

Come on you Irons!
Stevielad
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Stevielad »

Seems very similar to the Keegan situation (although Curbs is less emotional on the outside :wink: ).

- managing a team they love
- passionate supporters who love to watch good football but haven't won anything in years (not counting the playoffs and two-bob cup)
- someone brought in to assist with transfers and team development (Nani/Wise) who are potentially undermining the manager rather than working with them. Curbs has of course denied it - but clearly there is speculation on this one.
- apparent aspirations of a board who say they want to push for Europe but then sell off players apparently without the consent of the manager

- over-expectations of supporters caused by takeovers?

Anyway - I support him - apart from some iffy signings at a time when we were dead certs to get relegated he has done ok and he has had bugger all time. Thats the trouble with todays society - everyone is after a quick fix, must have it and must have it now.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Was there a poll run at the end of last season about keeping/sacking Curbs? I'm sure there was, can anyone dig that up?
Dublin Iron
Location: East, East, East...Dublin. Well, South Dublin to be honest.

Post by Dublin Iron »

Back him.
I don't understand the calls for his sacking - who would replace him? Allerdyce, Souness, Coleman. No thanks.
Bilic? A mercenary as a player and I suspect a mercenary as a manager.
SGE - what more can he achieve that Curbishley can't?

Be careful or Keegan will be lined up.
Chimhog

Post by Chimhog »

has my backing :thup: