Poll: the managerial shortlist

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Five alive: pick yours

Slaven Bilic
29%
Gerard Houllier
4%
Gianfranco Zola
2%
Roberto Donadoni
2%
Roberto Mancini
52%
None of the above
11%

Total votes: 736

bumpkinhammer

Re: Poll: the managerial shortlist

Post by bumpkinhammer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:He's odds on everywhere...he's pretty much the favourite...Bilic won't leave Croatia. Mancini has now apparently said he'll talk to us. He'd be better than Donadoni...but Mancini won't waiver any of his payment...
How much is he after off Inter? Or is it a principal thing as i have read somewhere.
Last thing West Ham need is a man with Principals.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

bumpkinhammer wrote: How much is he after off Inter? Or is it a principal thing as i have read somewhere.
Last thing West Ham need is a man with Principals.
I think it's about £19m?? Or something massive...I'm not surprised though. He deserves it really. He took a no-mark team (Ok a bigteam, but they never won anything)...to a team who kept winning everything in Italy. Thy had their squad built up to one of the best in Europe...and they got rid of him because of a Champions League defeat...

Maybe he gets less if he takes another job?? I think he might end up taking less and taking another job if it comes to it. He's obviously interested. It's pretty flattering to have managers like Donadoni, Mancini and Bilic interested in the job...
DavyGravy

Post by DavyGravy »

Got to be Bilic for me
Couttsy

Post by Couttsy »

Mancini with Di Canio as his assistant for me.
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

bumpkinhammer wrote:Ladbrokes have Donadoni @1/3 so in my eyes Donadoni it is.

bookies have got things wrong before and i suspect its more to do with him already being interviewed.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

bumpkinhammer wrote:Ladbrokes have Donadoni @1/3 so in my eyes Donadoni it is.
It's odds on that he will be an Italian anyway, which ever one they pick. The board will continue with this stupid structure of running our club. The reason I am so sure is that they want to keep Nani doing his role? and the only way that can happen is if they pick someone to just coach only and not have any say in what players come and go. This is certain to happen and proof that they are to keep this going is the headline about telling villa to up their offer and Ashton is theirs. So they will continue to flog players because Nani has convinced BG that they can be replaced with cheap bargain buys in his portfolio of unsigned jems. We are similar to Newcastle with a 2 tier (3 if you include Duxberry) management structure. It will all end in tiers one day! Like someone said on a sports programme today it's like having 3 conductors in an orchestra, it simlpy cannot work. There can only be one bull in a field. Hope some mega rich tycoon buys out BG and returns sanity to us, it will take a while though, knowing our luck we will have no players left and be in the championship by then. That shortlist is a sure sign of the boards intent that I have detailed above. All this is just my slant on it. What are all your views. :think:
SenzaPaura

Post by SenzaPaura »

ageing hammer wrote: It's odds on that he will be an Italian anyway, which ever one they pick. The board will continue with this stupid structure of running our club. The reason I am so sure is that they want to keep Nani doing his role? and the only way that can happen is if they pick someone to just coach only and not have any say in what players come and go. This is certain to happen and proof that they are to keep this going is the headline about telling villa to up thier offer and Ashton is theirs. So the will continue to flog players because Nani has convinced BG that can be replaced with cheap bargain buys in his portfolio of unsigned jems. We are similar to Newcastle with a 2 tier (3 if you include Duxberry) management structure. It will all end in tiers one day! Like someone said on sports programme today it's like having 3 conductors in an orchestra, it simlpy cannot work. There can only be one bull in a field. Hope some mega rich tycoon buys out BG and returns sanity to us, it will take a while though, knowing our luck we will have no players left and be in hte championship by then. That shortlist is a sure sign of the boards intent that I have detailed above. All this is just my slant on it. What are all your views. :think:
Might not work with English managers but I doubt Italian managers will object to it quite so venomously considering the way most clubs are structured on the continent.
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Do they work like that in Uraguay?
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

ageing hammer wrote:
It's odds on that he will be an Italian anyway, which ever one they pick. The board will continue with this stupid structure of running our club. The reason I am so sure is that they want to keep Nani doing his role? and the only way that can happen is if they pick someone to just coach only and not have any say in what players come and go. This is certain to happen and proof that they are to keep this going is the headline about telling villa to up their offer and Ashton is theirs. So they will continue to flog players because Nani has convinced BG that they can be replaced with cheap bargain buys in his portfolio of unsigned jems. We are similar to Newcastle with a 2 tier (3 if you include Duxberry) management structure. It will all end in tiers one day! Like someone said on a sports programme today it's like having 3 conductors in an orchestra, it simlpy cannot work. There can only be one bull in a field. Hope some mega rich tycoon buys out BG and returns sanity to us, it will take a while though, knowing our luck we will have no players left and be in the championship by then. That shortlist is a sure sign of the boards intent that I have detailed above. All this is just my slant on it. What are all your views. :think:
It works for Real Madrid, Barcelona, Spurs, Seville, both Milans, Chelsea, Juventus, Arsenal (before David Dein left) etc so why not for anyone else (Man Utd have one as well, but I am not sure how much of an imput he has with ol' red nose there. You would think he would listen to a Charlton though...)?
Larry

Post by Larry »

ageing hammer wrote: It's odds on that he will be an Italian anyway, which ever one they pick. The board will continue with this stupid structure of running our club. The reason I am so sure is that they want to keep Nani doing his role? and the only way that can happen is if they pick someone to just coach only and not have any say in what players come and go. This is certain to happen and proof that they are to keep this going is the headline about telling villa to up their offer and Ashton is theirs. So they will continue to flog players because Nani has convinced BG that they can be replaced with cheap bargain buys in his portfolio of unsigned jems. We are similar to Newcastle with a 2 tier (3 if you include Duxberry) management structure. It will all end in tiers one day! Like someone said on a sports programme today it's like having 3 conductors in an orchestra, it simlpy cannot work. There can only be one bull in a field. Hope some mega rich tycoon buys out BG and returns sanity to us, it will take a while though, knowing our luck we will have no players left and be in the championship by then. That shortlist is a sure sign of the boards intent that I have detailed above. All this is just my slant on it. What are all your views. :think:

personaly I can't see a problem with how the club are trying to do - just like every thing in football the way English clubs are structed is stuck in the past and way behind clubs in spain and Italy - there is nothing wrong with having the buying and selling of players done by a director of football and a coach just doing the coaching.
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

It's odds on that he will be an Italian anyway, which ever one they pick. The board will continue with this stupid structure of running our club. The reason I am so sure is that they want to keep Nani doing his role? and the only way that can happen is if they pick someone to just coach only and not have any say in what players come and go. This is certain to happen and proof that they are to keep this going is the headline about telling villa to up thier offer and Ashton is theirs. So the will continue to flog players because Nani has convinced BG that can be replaced with cheap bargain buys in his portfolio of unsigned jems. We are similar to Newcastle with a 2 tier (3 if you include Duxberry) management structure. It will all end in tiers one day! Like someone said on sports programme today it's like having 3 conductors in an orchestra, it simlpy cannot work. There can only be one bull in a field. Hope some mega rich tycoon buys out BG and returns sanity to us, it will take a while though, knowing our luck we will have no players left and be in hte championship by then. That shortlist is a sure sign of the boards intent that I have detailed above. All this is just my slant on it. What are all your views. :think:[/quote]Might not work with English managers but I doubt Italian managers will object to it quite so venomously considering the way most clubs are structured on the continent.[/quote]

Yeah match fixing, scandals galore. Makes our Harry seem like a choir boy for taking a tip for his efforts.
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

It works for Real Madrid, Barcelona, Sp*rs, Seville, both Milans, Chelsea, Juventus, Arsenal (before David Dein left) etc so why not for anyone else (Man Utd have one as well, but I am not sure how much of an imput he has with ol' red nose there. You would think he would listen to a Charlton though...)?[/quote]

There is a difference though. Taggart has the FINAL say as do the most of the others mentioned above, there is a team of people but one has to be the leader. Curbs had NO SAY and was not even informed on some occasions. One thing we can be certain of is that we are powerless to stop the board from implementing this method and all we can do is see if it works, maybe it will , I don't know but I am willing to wait and see as I have no way of stopping it.
Last edited by ageing hammer on Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Larry

Post by Larry »

ageing hammer wrote:It works for Real Madrid, Barcelona, Sp*rs, Seville, both Milans, Chelsea, Juventus, Arsenal (before David Dein left) etc so why not for anyone else (Man Utd have one as well, but I am not sure how much of an imput he has with ol' red nose there. You would think he would listen to a Charlton though...)?
There is a difference though. Taggart has the FINAL say as do the other guys mentioned above, Curbs had NO SAY and was not even informed on some occasions.[/quote]

well with the crap he has bought in that's hardly suprising would you trust a man to buy you a car if he knew nothing about them.
DanielHammer

Post by DanielHammer »

Theirs no need to rush it so someone can be in for the West Brom game. We should take the week to see everyones true postion and get him in then.
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

Larry wrote: There is a difference though. Taggart has the FINAL say as do the other guys mentioned above, Curbs had NO SAY and was not even informed on some occasions.

well with the crap he has bought in that's hardly suprising would you trust a man to buy you a car if he knew nothing about them.[/quote]

That's a very good point, I can't help thinking though that it was the board who brought Curbs in, so it was their bad judgement so wasn't it. If they were that pissed off with him why didn't they sack him. Was it because he got us up to tenth with half a team. I wonder will we ever know what goes on at board level.
SenzaPaura

Post by SenzaPaura »

ageing hammer wrote:Yeah match fixing, scandals galore. Makes our Harry seem like a choir boy for taking a tip for his efforts.
It's exactly this kind of thinking that has England as a backward nation in regards to football. It's not a coincidence that all of the top managers are from elsewhere. I'm not saying other countries aren't conservative in values (Italy still teaches its coaches that catenaccio is the be all and end all) but we are particularly arrogant and stuck in our ways in many areas that could benefit our game. We may be forward thinking in certain areas, but it's not good enough watching other countries challenge ideas in the coaching and running of football clubs while we still cling onto the '3 passes then shoot' type theories that have us fast retreating into the footballing wilderness.

We haven't been the best for well over a half a decade, so why on Earth do people think we still have the best ideas?
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Bill Grant wrote:It's exactly this kind of thinking that has England as a backward nation in regards to football. It's not a coincidence that all of the top managers are from elsewhere. I'm not saying other countries aren't conservative in values (Italy still teaches its coaches that catenaccio is the be all and end all) but we are particularly arrogant and stuck in our ways in many areas that could benefit our game. We may be forward thinking in certain areas, but it's not good enough watching other countries challenge ideas in the coaching and running of football clubs while we still cling onto the '3 passes then shoot' type theories that have us fast retreating into the footballing wilderness.

We haven't been the best for well over a half a decade, so why on Earth do people think we still have the best ideas?

Cheers Bill, you just saved me a post. Well put and very very true.

Football has moved on, like it or not ( personally not ) We have 2 choices, move with it or fight against it and lose
yabush

Post by yabush »

1. Bilic
2. Mancini
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

Latest odds at 12:20pm:

Donadoni 8/11
Bilic 5/1
Mancini 11/1
Di Canio 14/1
Zola 16/1

Selected others:

Harry 28/1
Keen 33/1
Eriksson 40/1