Poll: the managerial shortlist

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Five alive: pick yours

Slaven Bilic
29%
Gerard Houllier
4%
Gianfranco Zola
2%
Roberto Donadoni
2%
Roberto Mancini
52%
None of the above
11%

Total votes: 736

Shaka

Re: Poll: the managerial shortlist

Post by Shaka »

Bilic for me. I think he will be a great manager.
FDiMcA
teh
Location: Locked in a cellar, not sure where but I can smell hotdogs

Post by FDiMcA »

simon hammer wrote:So basically, as long as DiCanio is assistant most people will be happy?
If Curbishley arrived back with Paolo as his assitant I would dance a jig of joy
derek zoolander

Post by derek zoolander »

simon hammer wrote:So basically, as long as DiCanio is assistant most people will be happy?
:thup: it'l be fun having him around again. And he can do the post match interviews like old gus does for the spuds.
Claretandblueyank
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Claretandblueyank »

Mad Professor wrote: Good manager and coach. Keen on developing young talent and his appointment would suggest that the Board are planning for the long term which is what we need. Slav is unproven and Henry unlikely to deliver unless given mega funds. Mind you if they were available ... .
Make you right. I've always liked the fella, but did not want to stick my neck out!
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

I can hear Major's squeals of excitement from here.
Dan1326
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Dan1326 »

I think Mark Lawrenson would be a good shout
DoubleDave
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by DoubleDave »

My heart says Billic, I think we could do with a charismatic manager who gets on well with the players and the press, let's face it we are getting so much shitty press at the moment we could do with some positive stuff.
My head says Mancini, a proven club manager whos record speaks for itself.
RUNWELL RAY

Post by RUNWELL RAY »

My preferred choice would be Bilic but I cannot see him leaving Croatia in the lerch. So I have voted for Mancini ideally with Paolo as no.2. I think we would play with flair. Mancini being the calm man in control, with Paolo bring the passion and the knowledge of the fans expectancy & club history to the partnership.
I wonder how much involvment Nani will have with the final appointment
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Messiah wrote:My choice in order is:

1 Bilic
2 Mancini
3 Donadoni
4 Zola
5 Gerard
3 Italians on list, you don't think Nani was involved in the compilation do you?

A bin dippers reject and a deserter who ain't proved himself in Prem, some choice here .

Why is there no Riijkard, Hiddink , Laudrup, Redknapp, Venables, (before you lambast me these are only examples)
I thought this great board of ours is halfway through the 5 year plan. Isn't it time for the next step up and get in a proven top man they need.
Dan1326
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Dan1326 »

ageing hammer wrote:

3 Italians on list, you don't think Nani was involved in the compilation do you?

A bin dippers reject and a deserter who ain't proved himself in Prem, some choice here .

Why is there no Riijkard, Hiddink , Laudrup, Redknapp, Venables, (before you lambast me these are only examples)
I thought this great board of ours is halfway through the 5 year plan. Isn't it time for the next step up and get in a proven top man they need.
Player manager? Transfer fee will be quite high and won't be able to get him till January
Porfirio

Post by Porfirio »

I've voted for Mancini, I don't actually think we will get him, but still.

Does anyone know how sky created this list, does it have any real foundation or is it just the work of a bored journalist?
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

RUNWELL RAY wrote:My preferred choice would be Bilic but I cannot see him leaving Croatia in the lerch. So I have voted for Mancini ideally with Paolo as no.2. I think we would play with flair. Mancini being the calm man in control, with Paolo bring the passion and the knowledge of the fans expectancy & club history to the partnership.
I wonder how much involvment Nani will have with the final appointment
He will have the biggest say, BG brought him in to take over ALL aspects of the football side of things and IMO he is behind all this. If The appointment ain't Italian, then i will be proved wrong.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

ageing hammer wrote: Why is there no Riijkard, Hiddink , Laudrup, Redknapp, Venables, (before you lambast me these are only examples)
Have you not been watching the last six months?

I think we can safely say the five-year plan is well and truly consigned to the toilet. I'm betting the closest the board has now is a five-week plan to cut their losses and flog the club to anyone who'll have it.
MD_HM
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by MD_HM »

If anyone from the club reads this site please please please dont even consider letting that **** Sam Allardyce anywhere near the club.......... rant over thanks :lol:
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

If that's the case make him Manager. Still only be the assistant to Nani and BG and Duxberry.
AlfieG
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

We wont get any of these...................
norse
Has liked: 380 likes
Total likes: 838 likes

Post by norse »

The glorious 5 year plan was all in Eggys head (Along with moving to the olympic stadium and overpaying a buch of has beens).Never believed that for one second. It will be even harder now when City are basically able to buy the premiership like Chelski have done. Spurs / Everton / Villa etc will now fight it out for the 6th place, West Ham still have some work to do before can join the fight for the UEFA cup place
Bromleyboy
Location: ....waiting for the lift so I can go to the next level
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Bromleyboy »

I want some eye candy at the club - it's the way forward I tell ya :thup:

yes...I am in a sarcastic mood tonight.[/quote]

Ok UG. So you don't go for the living dead look. How about bringing a local lad back from the US of A as a player/assistant manager??? Bit too expensive for the irons at the mo, I guess, but ticks all the boxes. :oops:

Seriuosly though (sort of). Mad dog Martin would be a disaster imo. The big time Charlies of the Prem would not stand for his methods, unfortunately.

Of those on the list, Bilic or Houllier would complement Nani if the club are looking for knowledge of more countries (though I don't know why Curbs was panned over this - surely the job of the scouts?).

Can't say I'm too excited over any of the names on the list, but we are not going to attract anyone better and Houllier's representatives have apparently contacted the club so at least he's interested. Why is the 6th anon - if it's due to being currently contracted to a club, why is it OK to list someone contracted to a country?
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

MD_HM wrote:If anyone from the club reads this site please please please dont even consider letting that c*** Sam Allardyce anywhere near the club.......... rant over thanks :lol:
Nah we are safe there, even an Icelandic ****wit knows Big Sam is useless.
Limehouse

Post by Limehouse »

I've got a thought about the '6th man' - off to Betfair again first as the market isn't very liquid at the moment. Will post in the morning when I'm on, just to give everyone a much needed laugh. One clue is it is NOT Martin Allen; bear in mind he couldn't get MK Dons up. And another passing whimsy; I wonder how Paul Ince is feeling tonight?