West Ham sold

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

durham city hammer

Re: DIC for West Ham? Contact them (Link included).

Post by durham city hammer »

Trap 1, ironball, fully support wot you are doing and i'll be doing my bit with the emails and letter writing
which i hope will eventually lead to the removal of the current board. Anybody whos prepared to invest enough for us to challenge
for a top 6 or 7 finish will do me, got a horrible feeling BG wont fancy selling if his pockets are being lined every year with sky money
and the odd player sale here and there, but i'm all for giving it a go!
StiffUpper
Total likes: 1 like

Post by StiffUpper »

Nice one Ironball but I have reservations.

I'm unhappy with BG mainly due to the skullduggery and shenanigans rather than money. Whose to say that an alternative moneybags (not feeling the credit crunch) would make us feel proud?

Also, teh Olympic thing, a big selling point I'm sure, but we could end up merely renting something we come to hate while UP is sold off for flats and some 'vibrant new quarter' for green street.

I think after years of wanting Brown out and general optimistic wishful thinking, I don't know what I want any more and also have very little belief in the common sense or vision of Premier League buyers.
Ironball

Post by Ironball »

I agree, a new buyer could be an arse, and I also agree, the Olympic thing could be a bad vibe move. But then a new buyer could be a dream, and the Olympic thing could be done with the fans' interests in mind. There is always uncertainty.

But what I am sure of is that we cannot sit still. Under Gudmundsson we will continue to fall behind, by virtue of being overtaken by clubs like Man City and [insert next club here], and worse, we will fail to avoid two critical risks, being (a) the passing up and possibly passing to Spurs of the Olympic option, and (b) the being left behind if the superclubs shut us out forever.

People take affront at the club being owned by this person or that person, but personally I am more worried about groundsharing with Spurs. That could happen with or without a new owner, but at least with a new owner we would be very unlikely to face the prospect of Spurs moving into the Olympic stadium as sole occupants. That would be game over for West Ham; it would mark the death of our club; or at least consign us long term to the status, essentially, of a Leyton Orient.

I just do not think we have the option of validly assuming that circumstances outside the club will not change radically; be it Spurs in Newham, be it Man City, Newcastle and [Cardiff City] waving goodbye to us and our best players as they form a new league/ reduce the PL to 12 clubs/ etc. We have to compete; if we are to be owned by a foreign billionaire let it be one that can afford to keep our best players and to maximise our club development opportunities.
Seven Bs

Post by Seven Bs »

Young Ambani will be in possession of the link tomorrow.
Trap1
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Trap1 »

Seven Bs wrote:Young Ambani will be in possession of the link tomorrow.
Porfirio
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porfirio »

I think this might be the most depressing thread I've read on kumb in a long time. If whoring ourselves to the latest Arab mega-billionaire who wants a premiership football club to massage their ego is the latest definition of being a West Ham fan then I'll turn it in.

I understand that things are far from brilliant at the moment but from the outside it is still a club with some semblance of tradition, a definable community, a board that sells it's best players without replacing them and enough fans in the stands that I can relate to.

To throw all of this away in vain pursuit of a someone who knows nothing about the club, just so that we can catch Man Satay is not a future that I want to be a part of. I would rather we returned to the Championship then chase after this non-existant glory-laden future that so many seem to lusting after.

The Premiership is fast becoming a version of football that I don't want to be a part of; Robinho scores for Man Satay and grabs the badge? f*** off. Do we really want this kind of player at Upton Park? Carlos Kickaball who always wanted to be Tony Cottee?

But judging by this thread I'm in the minority. If we do get sold to some Saudi/UAE/Whatever I'll give up my space to be taken quickly filled by some JCL who cheer the name Zola while trying to work out who that Pardew fella was.
goggles

Post by goggles »

Seven Bs wrote:Young Ambani will be in possession of the link tomorrow.
How are you going to get it to him? And how much money has this bloke got?
Ironball

Post by Ironball »

Why is it any different for the club to be owned by an Indian than somebody from Iceland?

Is it a racial thing? Is it more indigestible for the club to be owned by someone with £25 billion rather than £2.5 billion?

Whoring, sellout, blah blah. I don't want Spurs in Newham and I don't want Man City marching in and buying any of our players with loose change and not a second thought. I don't want Everton, Newcastle and goodness knows who else picking up financial muscle overnight that will position them irrevocably higher than us in the table and drive us down towards the foot.

This is not a depressing thread; it's a realistic thread. There's nothing to be gained by allowing reality to depress you. Hey, if we get a new owner with £30 million to spend on a Robinho, maybe we can start another thread and another blogsite and send a couple more emails and make the guy realise that that £30 million could equally be spent expanding West Ham's academy tenfold, with potentially a far higher return than the performances of one player.

The dream is for West Ham to play great football at the top level with a team staffed by a high percentage of local talent. Well, the only way that dream can ever happen is with an investor backed by £15+ billion of assets. It won't happen with Gudmundsson; he couldn't retain them if he developed them.

I know we sing about dreams fading and dying but jeez, let's not go out of our way to wish the dream dead. It's a good one, no?
Northern Paulo
Punster extraordinaire

Post by Northern Paulo »

Porfirio wrote:I think this might be the most depressing thread I've read on kumb in a long time. If whoring ourselves to the latest Arab mega-billionaire who wants a premiership football club to massage their ego is the latest definition of being a West Ham fan then I'll turn it in.

I understand that things are far from brilliant at the moment but from the outside it is still a club with some semblance of tradition, a definable community, a board that sells it's best players without replacing them and enough fans in the stands that I can relate to.

To throw all of this away in vain pursuit of a someone who knows nothing about the club, just so that we can catch Man Satay is not a future that I want to be a part of. I would rather we returned to the Championship then chase after this non-existant glory-laden future that so many seem to lusting after.

The Premiership is fast becoming a version of football that I don't want to be a part of; Robinho scores for Man Satay and grabs the badge? f*** off. Do we really want this kind of player at Upton Park? Carlos Kickaball who always wanted to be Tony Cottee?

But judging by this thread I'm in the minority. If we do get sold to some Saudi/UAE/Whatever I'll give up my space to be taken quickly filled by some JCL who cheer the name Zola while trying to work out who that Pardew fella was.
Same here. Think its time for me to call it a day.
iron57

Post by iron57 »

Ironball wrote:Why is it any different for the club to be owned by an Indian than somebody from Iceland?

Is it a racial thing? Is it more indigestible for the club to be owned by someone with £25 billion rather than £2.5 billion?

Whoring, sellout, blah blah. I don't want Sp*rs in Newham and I don't want Man City marching in and buying any of our players with loose change and not a second thought. I don't want Everton, Newcastle and goodness knows who else picking up financial muscle overnight that will position them irrevocably higher than us in the table and drive us down towards the foot.

This is not a depressing thread; it's a realistic thread. There's nothing to be gained by allowing reality to depress you. Hey, if we get a new owner with £30 million to spend on a Robinho, maybe we can start another thread and another blogsite and send a couple more emails and make the guy realise that that £30 million could equally be spent expanding West Ham's academy tenfold, with potentially a far higher return than the performances of one player.

Sounds about right to me. This is my 41st year as a UP regular so I feel entitled to my opinion on tradition & everything else that goes with it. Footy has moved on. It's a different time & a different place. With the Man City takeover another gunboat is parked outside our club demanding our best players are allowed to live their dream. The butcher, baker, candlestick maker & appararently banker & shipping magnet can't compete these days when it comes to club ownership.Liverpool & Newcastle fans are taking to the streets demanding a new billionaire in the boardroom. If the Prem League continues to refuse to accept responsibility for financial regulation, we need a billionaire in search of a toy of our own simply to compete.

The dream is for West Ham to play great football at the top level with a team staffed by a high percentage of local talent. Well, the only way that dream can ever happen is with an investor backed by £15+ billion of assets. It won't happen with Gudmundsson; he couldn't retain them if he developed them.

I know we sing about dreams fading and dying but jeez, let's not go out of our way to wish the dream dead. It's a good one, no?
Scrambled Egg
Complete tit

Post by Scrambled Egg »

Porfirio wrote:I think this might be the most depressing thread I've read on kumb in a long time. If whoring ourselves to the latest Arab mega-billionaire who wants a premiership football club to massage their ego is the latest definition of being a West Ham fan then I'll turn it in.

:clap: Nail on the head. Money out!
west ham dancing shoes

Post by west ham dancing shoes »

Oh have a day off fellas, you sound like a bunch of moronic kids, why don't you save up your pocket money and make BG an offer yourselves.
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Agree totally Porfirio - sorry but I think this makes us look as cheap and fickle as they come and I will be embarrassed to see any of this in the media tbh.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Porfirio wrote: If whoring ourselves to the latest Arab mega-billionaire who wants a premiership football club to massage their ego is the latest definition of being a West Ham fan then I'll turn it in.
What he said.
Ironball

Post by Ironball »

i must have missed where it says in the signing-on papers that you have to be fatalistic and reactive and loftily above such things as practical action.
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

Ironball wrote:i must have missed where it says in the signing-on papers that you have to be fatalistic and reactive and loftily above such things as practical action.
But you got the bit where it said you can take it upon yourself to whore out the club and not care what fellow fans think?
Ironball

Post by Ironball »

Arch Dandy wrote: But you got the bit where it said you can take it upon yourself to whore out the club and not care what fellow fans think?
such emotive language. other emotive language could be, trying to put the club in a position where it can defend its turf against spurs.

west ham is currently owned by an icelandic billionaire. and suddenly now it's an outrage that it might be owned by an indian billionaire?

i care what fellow fans think. but just because one fan thinks something doesn't mean he has a right to expect all other fans to fall in line with his preference. you've made it clear that's something i should understand. why doesn't that apply to you?
Ted Fenton
Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Ted Fenton »

Ironball wrote:i must have missed where it says in the signing-on papers that you have to be fatalistic and reactive and loftily above such things as practical action.
:D - I thought I had slipped through that particular net!
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

guys, do you really think that any individual or organisation large enough to buy the club really need us to point out the opportunity?

that'll go down as the worlds greatest impulse buy.
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

Ironball wrote:i care what fellow fans think. but just because one fan thinks something doesn't mean he has a right to expect all other fans to fall in line with his preference. you've made it clear that's something i should understand. why doesn't that apply to you?
I don't expect you to fall in line with anyone elses preference and haven't asked you to. However, you have taken it on yourself to emplore fellow West Ham fans to spam potential investors with your personal viewpoint and seem to me to be packaging it as pro-active practical advice.

Others may see this differently, firstly investors may not look kindly on the spam emails and letters they recieve and that would actively discourage investment, secondly your viewpoint is not the only one so if fellow fans point out that your campaign to attract investment may not necessarily be representitive of what the fans actually want then it may be worth listening to rather than suggesting that they are either racist, unreactive.

Your vision for the future of the football may or may not be correct, but there are plenty of fans who would happily not be part of your vision and maybe you could listen to some of them before childishly spamming investors trying to sell a club that isn't yours to sell.