The Board (a poll)

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you believe West Ham United's current owners/board can deliver success in the long term?

Yes
8%
No
78%
Unsure
14%

Total votes: 377

Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Re: The Board (a poll)

Post by Arch Dandy »

They don't seem to have any money so they wont take us forward as sadly that's what it takes, I don't see them taking us backwards either though and don't think they've done a worse job than anyone else would have done in their position.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

I said yes.

Since BG actually took over he has put in a lot of work to build a solid foundation to work from. Has he been knocked back by the credit crunch.. probably, but that is hardly his fault.

Infrastructure at the club has improved (as reported on the main site...) with a world class assistant coach brought in and an exciting young coach who has installed a style of play we have been yearning for. Yes there are gonna be issues at first as the new system beds in, but I think eventually either it will begin to work and we will see some results or it will be binned.

The Physio Zola brought in looks classy as well as the chief medical officer who has worked for Panathanikos and Fiorentina and they have added in a fitness coach who has worked with some world class players.

At first I was suspicious of the technical director and his role at the club, but Nani has brought in some players that have looked very solid and it seems that he has a very good working relationship with Zola.

As I said at the beginning of my post, since BG took a hands on approach we have improved behind the scenes.
Ted Fenton
Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Ted Fenton »

PrawnSandwich wrote:After all Eggy's promises and crazy deals and the current climate I can see BG delivering. BG out.
This puzzles me - you can see BG delivering and yet you want him out?
I'm unsure; the future's not our to see ...................
otter_of_despair

Post by otter_of_despair »

Bored of our 'board' - no
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

We need some investment in the team or we are in trouble.

WE are going backwards with the team.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Voted unsure, which is better than the previous board, that would have been a resounding no.

We would have by the way, been relegated if this current board were not here.
Last edited by carnage on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charle Hammer

Post by Charle Hammer »

A definite "No" from me :thdn:
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

Fionn Kiely wrote: Hired Curbs, invested in the squad to save us from relegation, invested again to consolidate our position in the league.

However their ineptitude far outweighs their successes. So that's a No for me.

Nail on the head mate :thup:
Roffers
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Roffers »

I voted yes. Why? Because I can. I also think they're trying to make the club self-sufficient. And the thought of having a billionaire come and and throw millions at the club just horrifies me. We'll eventually end up where we belong, wherever that might be. I mean, is success what it's all about? Or is it about the experience and journey?
carnage

Post by carnage »

The one problem with this poll is how do you define success?
Top 6 regularly
Champions League
A couple of Cups
Top 10 in the League regularly
Staying in the Premiership for 8 years in a row

?
For me top 10 would be a success for us, along with just ONE Cup.

The poll is destined to end in the negative regarding the board due to the majority of people on this sites expectations.
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

Ted Fenton wrote: This puzzles me - you can see BG delivering and yet you want him out?
I'm unsure; the future's not our to see ...................
Sorry - have edited.
Didn't check what I had typed before hitting submit!
:lol:
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

Fionn Kiely wrote: Hired Curbs, invested in the squad to save us from relegation, invested again to consolidate our position in the league.

However their ineptitude far outweighs their successes. So that's a No for me.
Does it count if they did it right to begin with and ****ed it up later? If so then a plus point for hiring Curbs. Not sure Magnusson's handling of the investment was that good though IMO, although I think the second round was a bit better.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

carnage wrote:For me top 10 would be a success for us, along with just ONE Cup.
Don't see that materialising really unless some other teams start to suffer from the downturn as well. We look a very soft touch at the moment.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

JonG86 wrote:Has he been knocked back by the credit crunch.. probably, but that is hardly his fault.
The unregulated banking sector is almost entirely to blame. I think BG was fairly heavily involved - you could say he was part of the problem, hardly an innocent bystander.
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

carnage wrote:The one problem with this poll is how do you define success?
Top 6 regularly
Champions League
A couple of Cups
Top 10 in the League regularly
Staying in the Premiership for 8 years in a row

?
For me top 10 would be a success for us, along with just ONE Cup.

The poll is destined to end in the negative regarding the board due to the majority of people on this sites expectations.
Spot on C. Also how long do you class the 'long run' to be? The end of this season? 3 seasons?
carnage

Post by carnage »

QuintonNimoy wrote: unless some other teams start to suffer from the downturn as well.
Pompey
Blackburn
Everton

All suffering downturns.

You have the top 4, then you have Villa.

After that who stands out this season as certs for top 10?
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Took me all of a nanosecond to hit the No button....

Failed promises of new training grounds, ticket rises, the deluded Eggy, treating Curbs like dirt, a whopping expenditure of £1m on Behrami in two transfer windows, Duxbury still making a mess of everything, no sponsor, appointing the most inept legal team ever seen to defend the Sheff Utd arbitration.........

Is there anything BG has got right? James P is right. Me, him and few others were sounding alarm bells 18 months ago about the board and got slated for it.

Success for me would be a year on year improvement of the team with the chance of getting into the UEFA cup places by 2010.....at the moment we seem to be spiralling into oblivion.
beckton

Post by beckton »

No for me.

I was glad to be rid of Brown though he left us with Tevezgate and still seems to be hanging around.

I was swept a long with Eggys fantasy but he seemed to believe it himself as shown by the FA arbitration panel saying he tried to keep Tevez and it wasn't just words from him as some suggested to boost season ticket sales.

Eggy may have been deluded but his heart was in the right place.

As for expectations, if we were run properly we should at least be a top 10 side with a occasional appearances in Europe and decent cup runs.

I know by saying that if we achieved it, expectations would rise further and we would then want us to go up to the next level.

It really concerns me that come January the board will sell more players and with the lack of ambition they are showing our better players will want to leave.
Lancaster Hammer
Location: The light at the end of the tunnel is the light of an on-coming train

Post by Lancaster Hammer »

Unsure - for me success is being regularly in the top half of the premier league with the occassional sniff of UEFA via Cup or league. This could happen with the current incumbents but Nani will have to be as good at managing a revolving door as he claims to be.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

carnage wrote: Pompey
Blackburn
Everton

All suffering downturns.

You have the top 4, then you have Villa.

After that who stands out this season as certs for top 10?
Portsmouth is the one that came immediately to my mind as being in trouble. Not sure about Everton, Kenwright wants to find a rich new owner but 'for the good of the club' as he puts it, not due to financial meltdown. They've never been massive spenders but they did OK again this summer and kept most of the squad together. Blackburn don't seem to be in any particular bother except they might lose a couple of players, or have I missed something?

I wouldn't say many teams were certs for top 10 - I'd add Man City to Villa, we're definitely not - I'd say it's 50/50 for us to be top half, but I also think the distinction is not really that important from say 8th down to 13-14th.

When did you think that cup win might materialise?