The post-window poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

The January transfer window: which of the following statements do you most agree with?

I'm delighted with our January business
30%
I'm reasonably happy
63%
I'm disappointed overall
5%
Sack the board
1%

Total votes: 477

Jigga
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: The post-window poll

Post by Jigga »

Personally I am disappointed as I think we are far too weak up front and should have bought a top class striker.

However because of previous f*** up's by Eggy/Curbs in transfers and wages, plus the financial mess of our owners, the January transfer window has been a success as it has allowed the club to trim the headcount and wage bill.

If this policy continues in the next transfer window I think we could end up with egg on our face.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

I suppose reasonably happy is a fair choice.....but this level of us just being happy to keep players in transfer windows has got to stop.

If we get the Sheff Utd thing off our backs by the end of the season, we need to buy a top quality striker in the summer without fail.
Jarvo

Post by Jarvo »

Come on then - own up - who's the one person who wants to sack the board :lol:
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Reasonably happy. We knew what we needed to do this window and we did it. However I sincerely hope we don't regret not reinforcing our striking options.
Happyhammer93

Post by Happyhammer93 »

Overall, I am happy.

We have removed all the deadwood, for a good amount of money.
Sold on a 29yr old for 14 million. And brought in Savio, However I would have been happier with a more experinced striker.
We have also brought Ilunga. So no need to worry anymore that he might leave in the summer.
:crest:
FloridaHammer

Post by FloridaHammer »

I was very happy we hung onto Green, Parker, and Upson. Bellamy was a liability so good riddance. Savio is a bit of a gamble but looks like he has a big upside.
WestHamIFC

Could we have replaced Bellamy with Keane??

Post by WestHamIFC »

Tottenham got Robbie Keane for £12m!!

Did we miss a trick here? :think:

Selling Bellamy for £14m and replacing him with Keane for £12m would have made perfect sense to me... :?
Happyhammer93

Re: Could we have replaced Bellamy with Keane??

Post by Happyhammer93 »

WestHamIFC wrote:T*ttenham got Robbie Keane for £12m!!

Selling Bellamy for £14m and replacing him with Keane for £12m would have made perfect sense to me... :?
I don't think Keane would have even thought about us. Unless we paid him the stupid wages we were paying Bellamy.
So getting rid of bellamy and bringing in Keane would not have put us in a better state, finacally.
Also Keane has been shocking this season and I don't think that will any time soon change. So we are better off without him. In my opinion.
RWJ

Post by RWJ »

Second option for me.

As I said yesterday, the only thing that does concern me is injuries, we are going to have to rely on the youth players that have come through if we do get a series of injuries.

On the other hand I am pleased that the club have shown a bit of faith in the youth and I suppose now they will be given more of a chance to get some football with the deadwood gone.

I liked very much the signing of Savio as I believe he will be a future star, Kovac gives us more aerial ability as he is quite handy in the air which we are lacking, so its a decent addition.

I think we are heading in the right direction and in the Summer we can hopefully bring in some more to get even better if needed. :crest:
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

He wouldn't have come and besides, Liverpool probably still owed Tottenham a lump of the original transfer.
Last edited by rare as rockinghorse shat on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1291 likes

Post by davids cross »

We will never pay £12m for someone who is 29 this summer................doesn't fit in with the "project".
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Wouldn't have come. Wouldn't have paid it.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Happyhammer93 wrote: I don't think Keane would have even thought about us. Unless we paid him the stupid wages we were paying Bellamy.
So getting rid of bellamy and bringing in Keane would not have put us in a better state, finacally.
Also Keane has been shocking this season and I don't think that will any time soon change. So we are better off without him. In my opinion.

But the reason we sold Bellamy was not to "put us in a better state, financially"! :eh:

As mentioned by the club, those savings were made by offloading our fringe squad players.

The only reason we sold Bellamy was because he wanted to go.

We could simply have applied his salary to Keane instead. Simple.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Double post.. :oops:
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Do you honestly believe that mate?
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Also, didn't spuds only get him back for £12m because Liverpool hadn't finished paying them the full £20m anyway? If Liverpool had paid those c**** the full £20m last summer they would not have let him go back 6 months later for £12, not a chance
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

davids cross wrote: We will never pay £12m for someone who is 29 this summer................doesn't fit in with the "project".
Yet we wouldn't entertain selling someone for £12m who is 30 this summer...
Happyhammer93

Post by Happyhammer93 »

WestHamIFC wrote:

But the reason we sold Bellamy was not to "put us in a better state, financially"! :eh:

As mentioned by the club, those savings were made by offloading our fringe squad players.

The only reason we sold Bellamy was because he wanted to go.

We could simply have applied his salary to Keane instead. Simple.
If we got keane it would have gone agianst the "project"
And he would not have come. And the club would not give Bellamys' wage to another player.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Fionn Kiely wrote:Do you honestly believe that mate?

That we didn't want to sell Bellamy?

Yes. Or else Zola is a liar.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Dyltheiron wrote:Also, didn't spuds only get him back for £12m because Liverpool hadn't finished paying them the full £20m anyway? If Liverpool had paid those c***s the full £20m last summer they would not have let him go back 6 months later for £12, not a chance

You may have a point but accordingly to the BBC Liverpool paid already have paid £19m up front, rising to a possible £20.3m:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 867439.stm