Goal of the noughties [POLL]

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Goal of the Noughties (select three)

2008/09 Carlton Cole v Wigan (a)
13%
2007/08 Dean Ashton v Man Utd (a)
2%
2006/07 Mark Noble v Bolton (h)
3%
2005/06 Anton Ferdinand v Fulham (h)
3%
2004/05 Bobby Zamora v Ipswich (a)
8%
2003/04 Jon Harley v Sh*ffield Utd (a)
1%
2002/03 Paolo Di Canio v Chelsea (a)
16%
2001/02 Trevor Sinclair v Derby (h)
9%
2000/01 Paolo Di Canio v Manchester United (a)
3%
1999/00 Paolo Di Canio v Wimbledon (h)
43%

Total votes: 359

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Goal of the noughties [POLL]

Post by Up the Junction »

I appreciate that we still have August to December of this year to run but we've just posted the results of the KUMB Awards for 2008/09 (here!) which gives us ten 'goals of the season' to choose from.

Anyone care to pick a top three from the selection of beauties above?
Kismet

Re: Goal of the noughties

Post by Kismet »

A couple of those goals are in for what they represented though, rather than their individual quality. I wouldn't mind seeing the net cast a little wider for 'Goal of the Noughies'.
gravesendhammer

Post by gravesendhammer »

I think its tight between Di Canio's vs Wimbledon and Sinclair's vs Derby. Both of sheer technical ability as well as good build up play.

But I'd just about go for PDC imo
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Kismet

Each year in the archive has a top three ... so that's 30 to choose from :thup:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Ah perfect. Sorry, that wasn't up when I posted I don't think.

Thanks.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Hope your memory is better than mine :thup:

2008/09

1. CARLTON COLE vs WIGAN (78.8%)
2. RADOSLAV KOVAC vs EVERTON (5.1%)
3. DIEGO TRISTAN vs STOKE (4.5%)

A runaway winner in a year of many great goals, Cole's strike at Wigan attracted nearly four of every five votes cast. Starting on the halfway line, the move was an exhibition of one touch football culminating in a tremendous curling finish from the England striker. Kovac's strike at Everton proved good reason for holding the polls back until the season is over, whilst Tristan's beautifully-executed free kick at Stoke gave a breif reminder of a once world-class striker.

2007/08

1. DEAN ASHTON vs MAN UTD (47%)
2. FRED SEARS vs BLACKBURN (12%)
3. SCOTT PARKER vs MIDDLESBROUGH (7%)

Technically brilliant, Deano's overhead kick in the 4-1 defeat at Old Trafford confortably won this particular catergory. Freddie Sears' 'I was there when ...' moment grabbed second spot - as in the memorable match category - whilst Scott Parker's brilliant individual strike at Middlesbrough that earned all three points takes third.

2006/07

1. MARK NOBLE vs BOLTON (32%)
2. CARLOS TEVEZ vs TOTTENHAM (20%)
3. BOBBY ZAMORA vs ARSENAL (10%)

There were some excellent strikes to vote for this season so it was no surprise that there was no clear winner. Mark Noble's stunning volley in the 3-1 win against Bolton just about topped the pack, narrowly beating Carlos Tevez's first ever goal for the club - a 20-yard free-kick against Tottenham - into second place. Bobby Zamora's exquisite volley which won three points at the Emirates completes your choices.

2005/06

1. ANTON FERDINAND vs FULHAM (h) (36%)
2. YOSSI BENAYOUN vs FULHAM (h) (20%)
3. BOBBY ZAMORA vs BIRMINGHAM (a) (19%)

Here's a first - two goals from the same game grabbing the top two spots in the Goal of the Season award. You decided that Anton's volley from the edge of the box was marginally more impressive than Yossi's delightful chip, although in truth they were both outstanding strikes in a year in which we have been truly spoilt with great goals - which is exactly what Bobby Zamora's fantastic solo effort against now-relegated Birmingham was.

2004/05

1. BOBBY ZAMORA vs IPSWICH (a) (79%)
2. MALON HAREWOOD vs SHEFFIELD UTD (h) (10%)
3. BOBBY ZAMORA vs PRESTON (5%)

Bobby Zamora's delightful lob in the play-off semi-final second-leg took nearly four in every five votes in this category, and is the most comprehensive winner in any category this year. Marlon Harewood's contribution to Zamora's stunning strike should not be overlooked for it was his 80-yard-run that made the goal. Marlon himself gets a shout in second place for his 25-yard thunderbolt against Sheffield United, whilst Zamora's play-off final winner against Preston - whilst not exactly technically perfect in execution - was memorable nonetheless.

2003/04

1. JON HARLEY vs SHEFF UTD (a) (40%)
2. MATTHEW ETHERINGTON vs IPSWICH (h) (18%)
3. MARLON HAREWOOD vs NORWICH (12%)

Less than half an hour into his Hammers career Jon Harley unleashed a thunderbolt to stun not just Sheffield United, but every watching Hammers fan who thought they were on to a right winner. Six months later Harley was on his way back to Fulham. Mattie's wonder goal against Ipswich in the play-off semi-final may have won more votes had the polls opened later, but still did enough to earn second spot. Marlon Harewood gets his only mention in this year's awards for the belter at Carrow Road.

2002/03

1. PAOLO DI CANIO vs CHELSEA (a) (74.4%)
2. PAOLO DI CANIO vs CHELSEA (h) (18.1%)
3. TREVOR SINCLAIR vs SUNDERLAND (6.15%)

Paolo Di Canio won this particular award (for the third time in four seasons no less) thanks to that stunning volley against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Collecting a throw on he teed it up with one foot before smashing home an unstoppable dipping volley from all of 25 yards. The aforementioned farewell goal was your second favourite of the season, whilst Sinc's equally marvellous volley at the Stadium of Light deservedly came in third.

2001/02

1. TREVOR SINCLAIR vs DERBY (62%)
2. IAN PEARCE vs TOTTENHAM (15%)
3. JERMAIN DEFOE vs MANCHESTER UTD (13%)

Trevor Sinclair has a habit of scoring the odd spectacular goal (who can forget the overhead kick for QPR?) - and this was up there with the best of them. Joe Cole's corner was lobbed in to the box by Paolo Di Canio, and Sinclair volleyed the ball home whilst in mid-air - the ball never even touched the ground. Pearcey's 25 yard volley which stole a point at White Hart Lane scored well, whilst Jermain's header at Old Trafford was narrowly beaten into third place.

2000/01

1. DI CANIO vs MANCHESTER UNITED (93%)
2. SINCLAIR vs CHARLTON (6%)
3. DI CANIO vs CHARLTON (1%)

Technically far from the best goal scored by a Hammer this season, but for the memories it holds no other moment was going to come close. Whilst Fabien hailed a cab Paolo knocked the Reds out of the Cup - on their own turf. Tricky Trev's Boxing Day volley would probably have won this category but for that magical January day, whilst Paolo's beauty in the 1-1 draw at The Valley drew a respectable number of votes.

1999/2000

1. DI CANIO vs WIMBLEDON (93%)
2. DI CANIO vs ARSENAL (6%)
3. LOMAS vs BIRMINGHAM (1%)

Well there wasn't going to be any competition in this category was there? Not just West Ham's goal of the season, but THE goal of the season. The only surprise is that 7% of you thought there was a better one scored.
Kismet

Re: Goal of the noughties [POLL]

Post by Kismet »

Sorry UTJ, I'm probably being thick but I can only see one goal per season......

EDIT - Never mind, just see you post.

Ta.
HenrytheHammer

Post by HenrytheHammer »

Does anyone know where I can find a video of Sinclairs volley versus Derby? All I can ever dig up on YouTube is his QPR one.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

I can't remember them all from memory, but you'd have to go a long way to beat Zamora's, imo

Sure DiCanio's vs Wimbledon was sublime. But was that perfect technique more perfect than Bobby's? Sure, Paulo hit that ball as sweetly as it is possible to strike a ball, but I certainly think Bobby's was a harder chance, coming from behind him and dropping over his shoulder

Carlton's this year was also a sublime goal, but in a different way, being very much a brilliant team move, rather than a moment of individual brilliance (though it was a fine finish)

So I'll stick with Zamora, unless shown otherwise. A quite brilliant goal, and at a crucial time.
A quick ball out of defence, Marlon down the right flank. A quick burst of speed and a 1-2 took him down the touchline to the half way line, where he delived a pass that was truly amazing. Not only was it inch perfect from half a pitch away, he really got hold of it. I can still remember thinking what an amazing ball, but how can anyone do anything with a ball like that....then Zamora leapt, watched the ball onto his foot, and cushioned it over the advancing keeper. Pure class, and despite never reaching that level on a regular basis, Bobby Zamora will always have a special place in my heart and mind due to that goal
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saying all that, I can't remember Sinclair's with anything like the clarity as the above. Was that some sort of flying bicycle/karate kick? I remember he scored some real crackers during his time with us, and again I'll always remember him with much fondness
Last edited by Hambrosia Stu on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zola4ever

Post by Zola4ever »

di canio v Chelsea was the best goal i think i have seen, i prefer it to the Wimbledon goal
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

DiCanio's vs Wimbledon. Put simply, the best goal I've ever seen West Ham score by the best player I've ever seen wear a West Ham shirt.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

PDC vs Wimbledon.....Foe's ball out to Sinclair was lovely, the cross was fantastic and I remember my jaw dropping as Di Canio volleyed it in.

It's still classed as the greatest ever PL goal....and rightly so.
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

simon hammer wrote:DiCanio's vs Wimbledon. Put simply, the best goal I've ever seen West Ham score by the best player I've ever seen wear a West Ham shirt.

ditto
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

smuts wrote:PDC vs Wimbledon.....Foe's ball out to Sinclair was lovely, the cross was fantastic and I remember my jaw dropping as Di Canio volleyed it in.

It's still classed as the greatest ever PL goal....and rightly so.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hard to argue with that in all fairness

For some reason, I had it in my mind that the ball came to him in a fairly straight forward kind of way. Funny how your mind plays tricks with you, but I remembered it as though the ball had come out to him from the penalty area, like it was a block or a save

If anything, the way the ball came to him was similar to the Zamora one, except Di canio had a much tighter angle

I think I'll wait a while before voting..... :lol:
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

I've never been more slack-jawed with awe than when Paulo volleyed that shot in against Wimbledon. Ok, there's been more important goals, more significant goals, goals against tougher opponents & goals that showcased how a team sport should be played - but none, that I've seen, match Paulo's effort for prime techical skill.
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

1. Di Canio vs Wimbledon

2. Zamora vs Ipswich

3. Di Canio vs Chelsea at The Bridge
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Di Canio against Wimbledon was mind bogglingly amazing.
Kent Bubble Blower

Post by Kent Bubble Blower »

simon hammer wrote:DiCanio's vs Wimbledon. Put simply, the best goal I've ever seen West Ham score by the best player I've ever seen wear a West Ham shirt.
:thup:
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

Tel The Hammer wrote:1. Di Canio vs Wimbledon

2. Zamora vs Ipswich

3. Di Canio vs Chelsea at The Bridge
I concur.
Antnee