Summer business [POLL]

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Your summary of our summer transfer business...

Poll ended at Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:58 am

Highly delighted
1%
Reasonably pleased
21%
Could be better, could be worse
39%
Slightly disappointed
24%
An absolute farce
15%

Total votes: 314

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Summer business [POLL]

Post by Up the Junction »

Players In

Guillermo Franco (free)
Alessandro Diamanti (£5.7m)
Luis Jimenez (loan)
Radoslav Kovac (£2m)
Fabio Daprela (undisc)
Manuel Da Costa (exchange)
Davide Ferrrari (undisc)
Herita Ilunga (£2.4m)
Peter Kurucz (undisc)
Frank Nouble (undisc)
Jack Lampe (undisc)

Players Out

Savio Nsereko (£3m+player exch)
James Collins (£5m)
Lucas Neill (eoc)
David Di Michele (eol)
Walter Lopez (eoc)
Diego Tristan (eoc)
Lee Bowyer (eoc)
Kyel Reid (eoc)
Tony Stokes (eoc)
Jimmy Walker (eoc)
Jan Lastuvka (eol)
Freddie Sears (loan)
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Re: Summer business [POLL]

Post by Albie Beck »

I'm getting splinters... :D
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

First voter. :raver:

Went for slightly disappointed. Would have been 'could have been better, could have been worse' had Duxbury and Zola not said anything about Mancini, Chamakh etc.
Big_Russ

Post by Big_Russ »

I have splinters as well mate.. this fence needs a sand and varnish!
beckton

Post by beckton »

I was going to vote slightly disappointed but our farcical attempts to sign a striker just swayed me!

:lol:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I'd never heard of Chamack or Mancini or virtually any of the players that we didn't sign, I hadn't heard of most we did, we got rid of a lot of dead wood and brought in some new faces, same old West Ham way. To many people think running a football club is as easy as the game they play on the computer, for what its worth I haven't played that game but presume thats how all the people that got disappointed with certain players that didn't sign knew them.
mickfbrown

Post by mickfbrown »

I have gone for an absolute farce.

Selling Collins on deadline day and then trying to sign Benjani who is bloody awful is not good enough. The club had 3 months to secure a striker and the best they can come up with is a 32 year old mexican....

ps I am over the moon about Diamanti from the 30 mins at Wigan he looks a real character and looks to have a quality left peg.
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Would've been nice to have an option between "Slightly disappointed" & " Absolute farce", because that's where i want my thumbprint :(
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Absolute farce for me.

No matter what way they paint it, we once again sold some of our first team players and replaced them with nobody of real repute.

I'm looking at this from a purely footballing perspective. Same old West Ham, taking the piss.
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

Think I'm pleased with the forwards we've managed to acquire, probably because I didn't run with the propaganda.

Midfield mainly same as last year so is fine by me.

Defence is my slight concern but should be good enough to keep us secure.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

Georgee Paris wrote:I'd never heard of Chamack or Mancini or virtually any of the players that we didn't sign, I hadn't heard of most we did, we got rid of a lot of dead wood and brought in some new faces, same old West Ham way. To many people think running a football club is as easy as the game they play on the computer, for what its worth I haven't played that game but presume thats how all the people that got disappointed with certain players that didn't sign knew them.
Well in my case, you're wrong. There's more foreign football on television now than ever before. I don't think it's outlandish to think that maybe some people watch it. Otherwise they might not show quite so much. Usually about ten live foreign games every weekend nowadays. Chamakh and Mancini are far from obscure players. Most fans with a passing interest in foreign games would be aware of them and their qualities.

I never said running a football club was easy. But I don't see the need to tell the press the top names you're negotiating with when you're nowhere near signing them. It will inevitably lead to disappointment if you go on to sign players with much lesser reputations. Certainly did for me. Had they said nothing, I would probably have assumed we don't have the money to make that kind of signing and accepted that.
Hammers Dad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Hammers Dad »

Definitely a "Could be better, could be worse" situation.
We could have done better in bringing in strikers (bearing in mind we have no idea how good Franco will be) but we did keep hold of Green, Upson, Parker, Noble, Cole, Collison, Tomkins etc who would probably have gone normally to balance the books.
mattjp
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by mattjp »

Could be better, could be worse.

Ultimately, we've got ourselves a respectable squad now. The main disappointment was that we didn't get a striker in without needing to rely on the free agent scrapheap. Other than that not too bad - didn't want to lose Ginge but if it was necessary to sell him to balance the books then so be it.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Fionn Kiely wrote:Absolute farce for me.

No matter what way they paint it, we once again sold some of our first team players and replaced them with nobody of real repute.
In the finest traditions of the club, I'm sure you'd agree.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

We sold our record signing 6 months after signing him.

We re-bought Kovac.

We lost our club captain for nothing.

Selling Collins moments after his obvious replacement had been stabbed.

Put together that's all a bit ridiculous.

That said, it's only once the new players have been seen and given a reasonable chance that I'd make a real overall judgement.

Diamanti looks like he could be a good, influential player. Not so sure about Jiminez - yet to see him be influential in either a friendly or a competitive game (early days though). As for the rest - very ambivalent.

At this stage, disappointed.
MadMart
Location: "overhead a rainbow appears..... in Black and White"
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by MadMart »

Having yet to see Franco or Diamanti in the flesh so to speak I'm rather witholding judgement.

Although if I were to base it on the whole Savio debacle - it would be :oops: ooops

Can't yet see how anyone can be "wowed" even considering our precarious plight....
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote: Well in my case, you're wrong. There's more foreign football on television now than ever before. I don't think it's outlandish to think that maybe some people watch it. Otherwise they might not show quite so much. Usually about ten live foreign games every weekend nowadays. Chamakh and Mancini are far from obscure players. Most fans with a passing interest in foreign games would be aware of them and their qualities.

I never said running a football club was easy. But I don't see the need to tell the press the top names you're negotiating with when you're nowhere near signing them. It will inevitably lead to disappointment if you go on to sign players with much lesser reputations. Certainly did for me. Had they said nothing, I would probably have assumed we don't have the money to make that kind of signing and accepted that.
Perhaps I'm wrong - the only football I watch is West Ham and the occasional international, even so when you go to buy a pair of jeans and say you only want to spend £75.00 do you just grab the first ones you try on that cost £75.00 or do you shop around? If you buy a pair from John Lewis that cost £75.00 then pass another shop selling the same brand do you not want to look inside just in case they have the same pair but cheaper?

West Ham were shopping at the local Car Boot sale hoping to un earth some ming china, West Ham fans have become like that Harry Enfield character that always says 'you don't want to do it like that' and expect us to be strolling around Bluewater with Loadsamoney.

Considering how ****ed things turned out financially I reckon it was decent business - it was unfortunate - Collins and Savio but decent all the same given the circumstances.
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

EvilC wrote:
In the finest traditions of the club, I'm sure you'd agree.
In the finest traditions of an ASSET MANAGEMENT COMPANY, i'd say!
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

I want to vote for a "slightly disappointing farce"..... :lol:
Tommy B

Post by Tommy B »

Went slightly disappointed purely because we didnt sign a forward. On the other side of the coin I reckon we have a very talented midfield with the inclusion of Diamanti and Jimenez, but will it get us the goals we need probably not.