Don't sack Zola

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Re: Don't sack Zola

Post by Chuck D »

So we had a **** manager, and now we've got a manager who has been in charge for two matches.

But you are suggesting that getting rid of the **** manager was a bad idea because..................?

Could it be that we've lost two games?

If I'm wrong, and you have another, perfectly good reason for feeling that way, I'd be delighted to hear it.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

saludo de carlitos wrote: My point being Zola kept us up and was promised his job was safe. The forum is about debate and not snide comments, I am fully behind Grant and will back him to the hilt, all I am saying is so far I haven't seen much if any improvement,
We got 35 points under Zola , 7 less than the much derrided Roeder .In other words we were lucky to stay up .

In terms of not seeing much improvement , I disagree .Despite the loss yesterday I actually enjoyed watching the game - we had some pace and width .Both Piquionne and Barerra , Grant signings, looked lively and Reid much improved on his debut - if he improves that much in a week , within a short period of time he will be a vauluable addition to the side .

You would need to be daft not to notice the spring in Nobles step since the Managerial change as well , so thats 4 positives and how many negatives ?

It may look different from your seat - what part of the ground are you in ?
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

Chuck D wrote:So we had a sh*t manager, and now we've got a manager who has been in charge for two matches.

But you are suggesting that getting rid of the sh*t manager was a bad idea because..................?

Could it be that we've lost two games?

If I'm wrong, and you have another, perfectly good reason for feeling that way, I'd be delighted to hear it.
Maybe the old manager wasn't a **** manager, he had a great 1st season remember?, nothing at all to do with 2 games. What i'm suggesting is maybe the players are more at fault. As I said im not slagging off Grant in the slightest. :thup:
saludo de carlitos

the pink palermo wrote: We got 35 points under Zola , 7 less than the much derrided Roeder .In other words we were lucky to stay up .

In terms of not seeing much improvement , I disagree .Despite the loss yesterday I actually enjoyed watching the game - we had some pace and width .Both Piquionne and Barerra , Grant signings, looked lively and Reid much improved on his debut - if he improves that much in a week , within a short period of time he will be a vauluable addition to the side .

You would need to be daft not to notice the spring in Nobles step since the Managerial change as well , so thats 4 positives and how many negatives ?

It may look different from your seat - what part of the ground are you in ?
No, I agree there was good parts in the first half, but also as last season many mistakes, which is what cost us last year. We seem incapable at the moment to play a game without some howler at some point. I know things take time and am not trying to be negative, it was just a debate.
maltab

Post by maltab »

Saludo
You say you haven,t seen much or little improvement in grants two games in charge?
Well the first half yesterday,saw a team line up with width for the first time in ages,a team that played some great football,and if we could have put our chances away,and a little luck,could have been out of Boltons reach by HT.
Now with a couple of weeks left of the transfer window,i think there will be a bit of wheeling and dealing,we will sign a few more,and of course lose a few,but that 1st half performance,along with more match fitness,leads me to believe we will improve.
Puff,i,d be extremely disappointed if Grant was given the chop at the end of October,give him time.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Well your positives Pink Palermo, are small beer aren't they? Almost straw clutching. Grant was the best of a pretty underwhelming list of candidates if I remember correctly and even I chose him out of that list which didnt say much and I recall saying so at the time and got it in the ear from some of you guys for saying so too
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

saludo de carlitos wrote:Maybe the old manager wasn't a sh*t manager, he had a great 1st season remember?, nothing at all to do with 2 games. What i'm suggesting is maybe the players are more at fault. As I said im not slagging off Grant in the slightest. :thup:
In his first season he got more points than his second , but I wouldn't describe it as great .

The signings of Savio, Diamanti and sale of Collins were , in my opinion, decisions of cataclysmic proportions .And, btw, I too right to the bitter end did not want to see another WHU Manager sacked , and can not recall such a poor one being given so much benefit of the doubt and geneal goodwill . The calibre of football we played under him though was, again imo, dire .
Kialos
Has liked: 1548 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

Jesus H Christ, why is this thread back.
saludo de carlitos

maltab wrote:Saludo
You say you haven,t seen much or little improvement in grants two games in charge?
Well the first half yesterday,saw a team line up with width for the first time in ages,a team that played some great football,and if we could have put our chances away,and a little luck,could have been out of Boltons reach by HT.
Now with a couple of weeks left of the transfer window,i think there will be a bit of wheeling and dealing,we will sign a few more,and of course lose a few,but that 1st half performance,along with more match fitness,leads me to believe we will improve.
Puff,i,d be extremely disappointed if Grant was given the chop at the end of October,give him time.
I hope so mate, as someone said I hope we can pick ourselves up after the horrendous matches we have coming up.
Last edited by saludo de carlitos on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

maltab wrote:Saludo
I would give him time, but sadly, I'm afraid I don't think Gollivan will as they have far too much to lose and neither do I think he has time on his side, ~ poor sod. It's deliver or its the old heave ho. You see if I'm not right
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

saludo de carlitos wrote: Maybe the old manager wasn't a sh*t manager, he had a great 1st season remember?, nothing at all to do with 2 games. What i'm suggesting is maybe the players are more at fault. As I said im not slagging off Grant in the slightest. :thup:
No, I dont remember it.

I remember watching us passing ourselves to death in ever decreasing circles, when there was an outball on.

I remember having a very good squad to start with, and inexplicably buying Savio to replace Bellamy.

I remember us being 7th with two games to go, then managing to not get into Europe - Fulham who took our place got to the UEFA cup final..

I recall us signing Kovac on loan who was shocking, then deciding, after looking at every player in the whole world to sign him on a perm deal.

I recall us selling the aformentioned Savio, allowing Collins and Neill to depart, and replacing them with the lighweight and awful Jiminez, and Diamanti.

You say that on the one hand "he was great in his first season", then (with almost the same team - just a few of his signings sprinkled on the top) we almost went down.

Short of selling all the players, and starting again, how would you have dealt with this?
saludo de carlitos

Puff Daddy wrote:
I would give him time, but sadly, I'm afraid I don't think Gollivan will as they have far too much to lose and neither do I think he has time on his side, ~ poor sod. It's deliver or its the old heave ho. You see if I'm not right
He will be fine, he was G and S's appointment, unlike Zola.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

saludo de carlitos wrote: No, I agree there was good parts in the first half, but also as last season many mistakes, which is what cost us last year. We seem incapable at the moment to play a game without some howler at some point. I know things take time and am not trying to be negative, it was just a debate.
No problem with debate .It's why we come on this board . :thup:

I'd be the first to accept we have issues in our back 5 overall- yesterday was the 7th back 4 combination I have seen this season - and we'll see a different one on Tuesday .We all know Upson is angling for a move , and thats unsettling for everybody - but if we bring in a RB and hang on to Upson and play the same back 5 week in week out, they'll improve .
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

****ing priceless, even DC's lost patience

Out of interest SDC, whats your opinion on Parker now he's had a couple of less than effective games? :lol:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Puff Daddy wrote:Well your positives Pink Palermo, are small beer aren't they? Almost straw clutching. Grant was the best of a pretty underwhelming list of candidates if I remember correctly and even I chose him out of that list which didnt say much and I recall saying so at the time and got it in the ear from some of you guys for saying so too
In the time I've been going we've had 2 outstanding Managers .One came from the Arsenal back room staff , the other an in house promotion .

Some people believe Bob Stokoes greatest moment was winning the cup with Sunderland . I don't . Personally I always pop along to see his statue at the SOL to thank him for flogging us Billy Bonds when he was at Charlton .

So, it all depends what you want - a big "name" , a wheeler dealer, a talant spotter , someone with some gravitas - we all have different criteria .

Me ? I'm happy with someone who I think will steady the ship during what are still difficult times financially for the club and try and put on some decent perfromances . Yesterday was a decent perfromance .
saludo de carlitos

Chuck D wrote:No, I dont remember it.
Wow your brain is like a sponge. :lol: , do you remember that we were under a lot of financial constraints and pressure of going out of business, luckilly for Grant, he won't have this pressure.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

That will not be his saving, nor will it be his redemption either. G&S will take no satisfaction from realising they got it badly wrong. They will simply accept that they did; try as best they can to part with him on as best of terms as they can, with no ill feelings but that is as far as any matters of the heart will go. What they will the do is try and work out with him a severence package, I believe he is on a 3 year deal, (very generous in the first place I thought) and hope that they get it right next time. They will also work out and pit against their decision, how much more expensive relegation will be and what it will cost us against a severence package for Grant and believe me the severence package for Grant will be far less. Sorry, but that's how the old cookie crumbles sometimes. Should have made the right decison and drawn up a better list in the first place
saludo de carlitos

neilbob wrote:f***ing priceless, even DC's lost patience

Out of interest SDC, whats your opinion on Parker now he's had a couple of less than effective games?
****ing love him, mate.
Last edited by saludo de carlitos on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

cool, I'll check again in a couple of weeks :lol:
saludo de carlitos

neilbob wrote:cool, I'll check again in a couple of weeks
Well, if i've changed my mind by then, there is only 1 reason :arry: