Don't sack Zola

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

beckton

Re: Don't sack Zola

Post by beckton »

Puff Daddy wrote: Should have made the right decison and drawn up a better list in the first place

Should have got Mourinho.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Should have gone to ****ing specsavers. Maybe if they read the list of the c**** they were interviewing for the job, they may have had second thoughts about who they were interviewing
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Should have made the right decison and drawn up a better list in the first place
Grant is the only manager to take Chelsea to a champions league final, also only missed out on the title by 2 points i believe, but was sacked mainly due to his lack of charisma compared to mourinho and the fact he wasnt a big name manager.

He then went to Portsmouth who were in all sorts of problems, he managed to get them to a F.A cup final and still managed to achieve a points per game ratio that would have kept them up, despite the whole team basically knowing they were relegated the whole season and then being given a 10 points deduction.

His record sounds pretty damn decent to me, i mean who the f*** do we expect? Mourinho and Hiddink? Who just for the record couldnt take Chelsea as far as Grant did in the Champs League.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Look firstly, I hope he does well and he has my full support, but I just want to get one thing straight. All I am saying is that I don't think G&S will give him much lead in time, I might be wrong, I sometimes am, but I do think Avram himself knows he has to hit the ground running. I also think G&S will give him a little leeway (but not a lot as they do not have the finances available to them to be too lenient) so my hunch and that's all it is, is that if we are in deep, deep, doh doh, by the end of October, as we could well be, my hunch is that G&S will take a view. I don't think they can afford to leave it too long after that and they will be trigger happy if they have to be, because they cannot afford to be anything less

In answer to your points: Firstly, did you know that Grant has never taken the reigns of a club from the begining of a season before ?
How much of a success and how attibutable to him was it that he took a team of superstars to a Champions League Final? Would not many another manager have done that too?

I do acknowledge your points about his time at Portsmouth and he did a great job in getting that team to an FA Cup final and beating Spurs along the way in a Cup semi and in getting them playing some decent stuff too . Regarding his charisma, or lack of it, I don't give a damn, he wasn't appointed on that and that doesn't bother me at all; he can be the most dourest and humourless soul on earth so far as I'm concerned, it's what he does for us that I shall judge him
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Puff Daddy wrote:Look firstly, I hope he does well and he has my full support, but I just want to get one thing straight.
The Americans have a saying - "Everything before the but is bull****".
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

That's just as well then since most of my thread is post the first but
Modern
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 66 likes

Post by Modern »

All the things people praise Grant for sound like the sort of things Redknapp gets slaughtered for IMO.

1. Worked wonders to get to a FA cup final and lost

2. Did a marvelous job to get Portsmouth relegated

3. Did another fantastic job to take the 500m squad to a CL final....and lost

4. Did super good to get to a league cup final with the very same 500m squad...and lost

5. Doing another fine job at West Ham...losing

He's a smart guy I'll give him that
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

Modern wrote:All the things people praise Grant for sound like the sort of things Redknapp gets slaughtered for IMO.

4. Did super good to get to a league cup final with the very same 500m squad...and lost

Weirdo
stu1

Post by stu1 »

Modern wrote:All the things people praise Grant for sound like the sort of things Redknapp gets slaughtered for IMO.

1. Pardew gets alot of credit for our FA Cup run, but hey who wants another exciting run like that.

2. As stated his points per game ratio would have saved them, people forget they lost something like their first 6 games and they got a 10 point deduction, what the f*** do you expect with every decent player from the first half of the season being sold in january.

3. Mourinho, Hiddink, Scolari and Raneri couldn't get that squad to the champs league final.

4.Ok he lost in a final, to as painful as it is to admit, a very good tottenham team.

5. He has lost two games for f*** sake.

Some of the **** on here is ****ing embarrasing sometimes!
Marchweather

Post by Marchweather »

bubbles1966 wrote:The Americans have a saying - "Everything before the but is bulls***".
that is so true im gonna use that from now on
stu1

Post by stu1 »

Puff Daddy wrote: In answer to your points: Firstly, did you know that Grant has never taken the reigns of a club from the begining of a season before ?
How much of a success and how attibutable to him was it that he took a team of superstars to a Champions League Final? Would not many another manager have done that too?
In response to this yes i was aware and i agree with what you said in your other paragraph about Portsmouth, but all this any manager could have got them to the final really does my head in.

Despite the numerous "world class" managers Chelsea have had, who have all had the "500mil squad" none of them have managed to get them to a champs league final, apart from little old Avram, who only lost on penatlies.

So no clearly not many other managers could have done it, because some of the best in the game have tried and failed and that is just a fact.
Iron Mark
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Iron Mark »

I always thought Redknapp was slaughtered for his off-field antics and his character. Neither of these things are anything like Grant. Redknapp is slaughtered because he is a horrible man, I don't think his football record has much influence on opinion.

And in terms of this thread, is there much point in it anymore? Zola's gone and it is way too early to judge Grant, no need for a comparison between the two either.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

stu1 wrote:2. As stated his points per game ratio would have saved them, people forget they lost something like their first 6 games and they got a 10 point deduction, what the f*** do you expect with every decent player from the first half of the season being sold in january.

Some of the sh*t on here is f***ing embarrasing sometimes!
You've mentioned this a few times. Under Grant, Pompey played 25 league games, winning 5, drawing 6 and losing 14. You may have mistakenly coounted the cup wins which of course do not provide points. His points per game ratio was 0.84 which based upon a 38 game season would have given Pompey 32 points. This would not have saved them irrespective of a 10 point penalty.

I agree.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

What the ****ing hell has happened to this forum in the past few weeks? Same old (and new) posters, with the ridiculous negativity, spouting absolute crap after 2 games. Players getting ****ed off left right and centre, people thinking they could do a better job after a few lonely nights playing FM. What is going on?

We are meant to be ****ing SUPPORTERS, but apart from a rare breed, I have seen nothing to show people are supporting our team,, just a bunch of whinging pussies that need to get out more and actually realise just where WHUFC stand in the football status quo.

We ain't Chelsea, we never will be, but jesus, some of our 'supporters' now days are certainly acting like clueless Chelsea fans.

I'm back off to PM forum, the company is better.

For f*** sake, TURN IT IN!!!!
stu1

Post by stu1 »

hammerdivone wrote: Pompey played 25 league games, winning 5, drawing 6 and losing 14. You may have mistakenly coounted the cup wins which of course do not provide points. His points per game ratio was 0.84 which based upon a 38 game season would have given Pompey 32 points. This would not have saved them irrespective of a 10 point penalty.
f*** :lol:
stu1

Post by stu1 »

Dyer's Leg wrote:What the f***ing hell has happened to this forum in the past few weeks?
Some of the **** SOME of the new posters are coming out with is just laughable, it's just that ****ing stupid. :lol:
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

Chuck D wrote:No, I dont remember it.
saludo de carlitos wrote:Wow your brain is like a sponge. :lol: , do you remember that we were under a lot of financial constraints and pressure of going out of business, luckilly for Grant, he won't have this pressure.
I only remember things that happened.

Not what I hoped happened, or thought might happen.

Grant is already living with the pressure, it remains, and in fact, our other discussion re the potential sale of Diamanti is a hangover from Zola's time.

Because of the deal we did with Livorno, almost all the money we get for him will be due to them.

What he hasnt done is stupidly allow pressure to be put on himself by Duckers/Brady.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Dyer's Leg wrote:
Is it good in there then?
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Dyer's Leg wrote:What the f***ing hell has happened to this forum in the past few weeks? Same old (and new) posters, with the ridiculous negativity, spouting absolute crap after 2 games. Players getting c***ed off left right and centre, people thinking they could do a better job after a few lonely nights playing FM. What is going on?

We are meant to be f***ing SUPPORTERS, but apart from a rare breed, I have seen nothing to show people are supporting our team,, just a bunch of whinging pussies that need to get out more and actually realise just where WHUFC stand in the football status quo.

We ain't Chelsea, we never will be, but jesus, some of our 'supporters' now days are certainly acting like clueless Chelsea fans.

For f*** sake, TURN IT IN!!!!
:thup:
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

I've never seen him twitch.