Stratford 2012 [POLL]

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you support David Sullivan's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:43 pm

Yes
55%
No
21%
Depends
24%

Total votes: 685

Roffers
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by Roffers »

Voted yes - but only if there's no running track, and I think substantial engineering work will need to be done. To make it viable.
ham'n'hammer

Post by ham'n'hammer »

err......yes
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

can someone use the photochop or whatever to make that stadium 'west ham-ified'? would be nice to see 8-)
leveller

Post by leveller »

QuintonNimoy wrote:Leveller,
Sully seems to think that they can pack it out with super budget tickets. Not sure how the economics would stack up regarding the rent, but presumably they'd have to. Would new transport links also make a difference? I'm not sure.

Long term rent is a problem, the comparison though is with what we currently have. If it's nearly double the maximum capacity the Boleyn could reach with all feasible expansion it could work out to be worth it.

Say for the sake of argument they could increse take by a certain percentage on the Boleyn (assuming prices drop but we get a lot of punters through the door), if rent only accounts for a fraction of that then it will work roughly speaking.
Yeah I see what you are saying, offsett that fact we have to pay rent by the increase in gate receipts. But I don't see that there will be a significant increase in gate receipts because the cap+acity of Upton Park at the moment seems about right. When we were further up the table we were probably just filling the ground for every game. But we have only ever had a ST holder waiting list once for one season and it was only about 500 the year after the FA Cup Final, then it diminished the next season. So its not like we have ever had thousands of people who can't get tickets. As much as I hate to say it, Arsenal had a long ST holder waiting list before moving to the Emirates and Tottenham have had a considerable one for some time.

So the actual attendances will probably only increases slightly and only then if we are pushing for top 6. So the only way we will get increased attendances as you say is with G&S's idea of lowering ticket prices, but that will obviously not increase gate receipts. If we are challangeing for Champions League places on a regular basis then maybe it will be differrent, but obviously that is a BIG if.
leveller

Post by leveller »

ham'n'hammer wrote:err......yes
Can I change my vote please, it was on depends :lol:
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Gold: "We'll be here for a while, that's for sure"

They haven't got the money to move at present anyway
prince_huggy
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by prince_huggy »

ham'n'hammer wrote:err......yes
Thanks for the piccy. This gives my yes an even bigger :thup:

Please somebody, somewhere photoshop this to look more West Ham! As previously mentioned
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Are people really deciding their opinion on such a massive issue on the basis of a pretty computer generated image?

I guess this country really is dumbing down! :lol:
Welling

Post by Welling »

As already said.....

If the capacity is 50,000 ish or more
If the running track is scrapped
If the fans are close enough to the pitch
If the admission prices are reduced so that the average working class person can afford to go (with or without their kids)
If it includes being able to retain our history and traditions
If there are enough reasonably priced facilities to get a drink and something to eat there (proper pubs, cafes,restaurants)
If getting there is straightforward
If it helps us move to the next level in the longer term

Then Yes, If not NO.

As much as I and many others love the Boleyn Ground, realistically it makes sense.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Moving grounds is a bit like killing off your history and nobody wants to do that. I'm sure Citeh and Arse fans didn't want to move grounds but look at them now, never looked back. Also, lets face it the Boleyn is a dump, the towers are a joke, massively lopsided ground, transport is terrible and nobody even calls it by it's proper name.

A smart new modern ground with cheapest ticket prices in the Premiership....You're off yer head if that's not a mouth watering proposition. :crest:
cockneyanker

Post by cockneyanker »

No comparison. How many fans who go live within 2 miles of Upton Park ??? Yes it has a history, stick up a monument ! The surrounding area is dire. The Stadium now resembles a Lego play house within a derelict part of town.
We the fans deserve better facilities, a transport system that cuts out the crap tube wait and car gridlock after each game.
Above all a stadium that would feel like a Wembley visit every other week.
BRING IT ON !!!!!
Last edited by cockneyanker on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

I'd be more inclinced to support it if I felt we had a chance of filling it. Things might change in 3 years, but the thought of 30,000 of us sitting in silence in an 80k capacity ground, occasionally chirping up to boo the side going in 0-0 at HT or moaning at the person in front standing up, quite frankly, embarrasses me.

Not keen on these big new bowls either.
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 253 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

James P wrote:Are people really deciding their opinion on such a massive issue on the basis of a pretty computer generated image?

Quite :think:

The possibility will probably be that you will not be able to drive anywhere near the OS hence the upgrading of the rail system and teh start of the Cross Rail project, there are also some doubts as to the facilities that will be available long term - podded recycled toilets? (Mind you as long as there is still a sink to piss in we should be ok), temporary concession areas for food? and the question of who will be picking up the cost of converting an athletics stadium to a football stadium.

I also have concerns about selling off a tangible asset for short term liquidity, against the neevr ending rental of what could be a white elephant.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

cockneyanker wrote:No comparison. How many fans who go live within 2 miles of Upton Park ??? Yes it has a history, stick up a monument ! The surrounding area is dire. The Stadium now resembles a Lego play house within a derelict part of town.
We the fans deserve better facilities, a transport system that cuts out the crap tube wait and car gridlock after each game.
Above all a stadium that would feel like a Wembley visit every other week.
BRING IT ON !!!!!
Probably more than you'd think,

How many that want to move to a plastic bowl actually go to games regular?
IronsEnthusiast

Post by IronsEnthusiast »

I think it depends. There's all the history of the Boleyn that nobody wants to see go. There's also the fact that, to me, whether this Olympic Stadium move would work depends a lot on how the team progresses on the pitch. I'm assuming we won't end up with 80,000, but if we take a capacity of 50,000, there is no way we would fill it now and without becoming, frankly, a team that's actually half decent. Actually, I think we just don't know enough yet to be able to say for sure how I should really feel about it.

Yes from what I know now:

1) Stratford has far better transport links.
2) The better facilities would always be welcome.
3) In theory there'd be more money coming in on a matchday. With cheaper prices we wouldn't fill a massive stadium, we would get more than we do now, though.

No from what I know now:

1) History of Upton Park etc
2) We'll probably always be able to mostly fill the Boleyn.

Maybe I attach too much importance to selling tickets. I just hate half-empty stadiums.

I'll see how this issue pans out before giving a proper yes or no, I think.
Last edited by IronsEnthusiast on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poplargeezer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by poplargeezer »

Having seen the press conference I am considerably reassured, particularly by the Gold guy who I knew nothing of - what a genuine fan, and as west ham as they come.

The new stadium makes strategic sense - so long as there is no running track for football matches.

Only thing is, are there any covenants on the Boleyn ground preventing or restriting any alternative use?

Also, like the idea of extending the capacity and offering cheaper tickets. My nephew started at Birmingham University and has seen them play several times now this year because they offer tickets to students at just £10.lAthough he is from Chelmsford and a West ham fan he has actually now seen Birmigham live more times than he has West Ham, because of the prices and lack of availability at Upton Park. A rather sad state of affairs

Having been to the Emer-ates I have to say it is a lovely ground and a pleasure to watch football at (apart from the crap on the pitch)

So, let's focus on premiership survival, await the detail of any Olympic stadium developments and get behind the team and the new owners.
GeorgeParris'Pet

Post by GeorgeParris'Pet »

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote:
Quite :think:

The possibility will probably be that you will not be able to drive anywhere near the OS hence the upgrading of the rail system and teh start of the Cross Rail project, there are also some doubts as to the facilities that will be available long term - podded recycled toilets? (Mind you as long as there is still a sink to piss in we should be ok), temporary concession areas for food? and the question of who will be picking up the cost of converting an athletics stadium to a football stadium.

I also have concerns about selling off a tangible asset for short term liquidity, against the neevr ending rental of what could be a white elephant.
Exactly. Am amazed by the amount of short sightedness and stupidity shown on here. I hope G&S aren't as naive.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote:
I guess the question is would you sell your own 2 bedroom terraced that you owned outright, to move into a rented penthouse with 6 bedrooms (but no bathroom or kitchen)?

Obvious answer...

...Not if it was in Stratford!
Last edited by Turns to Stone on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkshire 'ammer

Post by Yorkshire 'ammer »

Yes.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

James P wrote:Are people really deciding their opinion on such a massive issue on the basis of a pretty computer generated image?

or on the basis of nostalgia ?