Stratford 2012 [POLL]

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you support David Sullivan's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:43 pm

Yes
55%
No
21%
Depends
24%

Total votes: 685

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by vietnammer »

Completely changed my mind since the last time this question was asked, purely as a result of the revelation of WHU's shocking debt. All things must pass, if there's a reason and this is a good enough reason.
Be the end of the Boleyn pub and the Wakefield though.

Hello The Two Puddings?
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

As i've said, the most important thing is if it is truly our's or not, if it is clearly and unreservedly West Ham United's stadium then great, if however it is the olympic stadium that some team in claret and blue happen to be playing in then f*** that. We need to keep our identity, and we need to play our home games in our home, be it our traditional home or a new one.

And obviously, if the running track stays then the idea is dead in the water. Running tracks at football stadiums are criminal.
Last edited by Dyl on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leveller

Post by leveller »

I've said depends in the poll but tbh:

* The OS is already being built, there is no facility to put temporary or permanant seating over the running tracks and this is not the sort of feature that could easily be added afterwards.

* Capacity of the OS is 80,000 with a planned provision to scale down to 25,000. 80,000 is far too big even if we are winning the league every year. 25,000 is far too small whatever the case. Again, previously unplanned structual changes would have to be made.

* I am uncomfortable with the idea of selling Upton Park and renting the OS, therefore the club not owning their own ground. I understand the reasoning behind G&S's thinking on this, the club are in a huge amount of debt and need to get out of it but once a club does not own its own ground it is very hard to aquire one again as many clubs have found out. Renting a ground has many restrictions that owning does not and will prove more expensive in the much longer term.

Due to the first two reasons I think this Olympic Stadium idea is a bit of a non-starter tbh, I don't see how they are going to get over the first hurdle of the running tracks and surely they are not going to rent an 80,000 capacity stadium which at most will have 40-45,000 attendances.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Yeah it's very early doors yet, wait and see what happens. We need to stay up first.

We've heard all this OS move before, to do it properly I think a complete knock down and rebuild will be needed, it's too late to make any changes to the present OS build anyway.

I mean no bogs or kiosks inside the building, why build the OS like that :?
Carlitos_Cole

Post by Carlitos_Cole »

The running track thing, could we not just sink the pitch and put in removable seats?
Carlitos_Cole

Post by Carlitos_Cole »

Pop Robson wrote:I mean no bogs or kiosks inside the building, why build the OS like that :?
I do find it hard to believe that tbh, if that's the case then its totally unusable for anyone.
Hammerite

Post by Hammerite »

I voted nofor purely sentimental and historic reasons, I've always lived a stones throw from the ground. My old primary school was knocked down to make way for the West Stand, and I have many fond memories of the Boleyn. However, I fear that following today's shocking revelations as to the extent of the mess we were (are?) in we may have no choice. If it's a choice of no West Ham, or a West Ham in Stratford then it's really a no brainer.

:crest:
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

If we could get rid of the running track and have desingated stand up areas (not actual stand up areas but like sir trev lower...) then I would be all for it. O yea, and not be too far away from the pitch. City have made it work nicely. I have been there and it's top notch

Am I right in thinking that Upton Park will be sold to developers and we will only be renting the Olympic Stadium?
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

It really does depend on so many things. Let's just stay up first then start worrying about this.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Carlitos_Cole wrote:The running track thing, could we not just sink the pitch and put in removable seats?
Read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_St ... r_services" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; not exactly gospel but having spent a lot of my life in construction, it's not a Sarah Beeny job, but get her and Brady in welding the sledgehammers
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

Leveller,
Sully seems to think that they can pack it out with super budget tickets. Not sure how the economics would stack up regarding the rent, but presumably they'd have to. Would new transport links also make a difference? I'm not sure.

Long term rent is a problem, the comparison though is with what we currently have. If it's nearly double the maximum capacity the Boleyn could reach with all feasible expansion it could work out to be worth it.

Say for the sake of argument they could increse take by a certain percentage on the Boleyn (assuming prices drop but we get a lot of punters through the door), if rent only accounts for a fraction of that then it will work roughly speaking.
Last edited by QuintonNimoy on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I think the design is to far along and the goal post won't be moved but if they can sort the capacity and pitch issues I think it will be the only answer to keeping West Ham United. I fully would prefer the development of the East Stand but if that isn't an option and this works in our favor it could really work in our favor. It certainly feels like we are back on the roller coaster!! :lol: :crest:
Carlitos_Cole

Post by Carlitos_Cole »

Put a running track around The Boleyn and let that be an athletics stadium.

So we then own OS and the athletics people own The Boleyn, everyone is happy. :raver:
Servo

Post by Servo »

I was 100% against until I heard the press conference this morning. Still slightly against, but I can see how it could be sound financially. Maybe I'll come around. Even though I haven't been going for ages, can count the number of times I've been there on one hand and live 4000 miles away, the thought of not playing at the Boleyn does make me :(
leveller

Post by leveller »

Carlitos_Cole wrote:The running track thing, could we not just sink the pitch and put in removable seats?
Your a smarter man than I am :wink: , dunno if its been done before but don't see why not! Although this would further increase the capacity considerably, probably to the extent we would be playing in the biggest stadium in Britain and one of the biggest in Europe!

Unless of course we took the 25,000 model and put the removable seats in that, but it probably wouldn't be big enough I guess :eh:
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

leveller wrote:
Your a smarter man than I am :wink: , dunno if its been done before but don't see why not! Although this would further increase the capacity considerably, probably to the extent we would be playing in the biggest stadium in Britain and one of the biggest in Europe!

Unless of course we took the 25,000 model and put the removable seats in that, but it probably wouldn't be big enough I guess
****ing amazing, imagine west ham, finishing 10th every year, playing in a ground bigger than the nu camp :lol:

be like the MCG in Melbourne, what a stadium, over 100,000 :thup:

szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

no runningtracks is given. but not owning, is that a good business plan? is he looking to buy it later on? does the costs of owning a large stadium outweigh the benefits?

think we know too little to be decisive on this issue.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

szola wrote:no runningtracks is given. but not owning, is that a good business plan? is he looking to buy it later on? does the costs of owning a large stadium outweigh the benefits?

think we know too little to be decisive on this issue.
I think Sullivan was pretty decisive. If the Stadium costs 5 times the value of the club to build, then we won't be buying it any time soon. We are the biggest draw in town that can have half a chance at filling it though, unless another club with no claim to the area decides to move.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

The more I think about it the idea of playing Millwall with 25,000 removable seats doesn't seem to wise.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

Georgee Paris wrote:The more I think about it the idea of playing Millwall with 25,000 removable seats doesn't seem to wise.
Running track might come in handy though