The January transfer window [POLL]

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

How do you feel about West Ham United's January transfer window business?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:24 am

Absolutely delighted
24%
Reasonably happy
70%
Undecided
3%
Slightly disappointed
3%
Utterly underwhelmed
1%

Total votes: 327

saludo de carlitos

Re: The January transfer window [POLL]

Post by saludo de carlitos »

Slightly dissapointed for me. :crest:
Kent Bubble Blower

Post by Kent Bubble Blower »

munichhammer wrote:Resonably Happy - I just hope we don't live to regret our failure to bring in a defender.
Yeah, that just about sums it up for me, too.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Considering what I was dreading would happen just a few weeks ago, I can't say that I am anything other than delighted.

Onwards & upwards :thup:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

I'd be interested to hear some comments from the two 'utterly underwhelmed' voters. :?

Probably expecting Balotelli, Keane and the return of Neill?
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Absolutely delighted no key player was sold; reasonably happy with what was brought in. Mido in particular, is an imaginitive signing with a lot of potential.

How to vote, then? :think:
Jarvo
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Jarvo »

Reasonably happy

No key players out and 3 strikers in - considering how it looked at the beginning of the month, more than happy it wasn't a fire sale :thup:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Matt of iron wrote:Delighted compared to what might have happened.
Yep :thup:
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Reasonably happy - remains to be seen if the new signings can settle in quick...they have to.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Firstly am delighted because we sold no one. When at the start of January i was expecting atleast one player to go.

Am happy we have added 3 attacking players. We still need a decent right back but that can wait till the summer.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Belatedly agree with most of above - biiiig fear was significant players being sold off cos of debts - we were talking Greeny and Upson - striker situation addressed without spending silly money or committing to 5 year contracts on unknowns - exactly the right response in this situation, let's hope it works!
Henry Wilt

Post by Henry Wilt »

People keep saying 3 strikers is overkill but surely Mido is like a freebie, his yearly wage would equate to less than a weeks wage for a "quality proven PL striker" would it not?
I've got to say that I'm delighted at what we have acheived in so little time without causing more financial problems for the club. It's not as though we would have been 1st choice club for all the top players out there is it?
If we believe what we read, with McCarthy's desire to play for us and Mido's desire to prove himself and of course our 1st ever Brazillian player we should be banging in goals left, right and center for the rest of the season. Which will of course give us plenty of lively debates as to who should be starting each week. :lol:
I do wish we were in a position (financially and in league position) that we could of given Jiminez a bit more time to prove whether he could have come good or not, I had high hopes that he would become something special, but then, so did Zola!

Overall, we will have a comfortable top half finish with the squad we now have. :raver: FACT :lol:
hamz

Post by hamz »

we attempted to sign hutton on loan, so obviously there is a concern from management, why didnt we just throw a bit of money at the problem? :eh:
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

hamz wrote:we attempted to sign hutton on loan, so obviously there is a concern from management, why didnt we just throw a bit of money at the problem? :eh:
here's a thought; perhaps tottenham don't wanna do business with us anymore after our comments regarding gudjohnsen?
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

I guess it could've been slightly better (addressing some defensive issues, or maybe a bit of width), but only a couple of weeks earlier it was looking as though it could've been much, much worse (no signings whatsoever, selling one or two - at least - from Green, Upson, Parker, Cole, Behrami). So with that in mind, I don't see how I could be anything other than delighted, all things considered.

And I'm sorry, but I consider missing out on EG to be a big plus in this window, as well.
jon253

Post by jon253 »

k-r-c wrote:Firstly am delighted because we sold no one. When at the start of January i was expecting atleast one player to go.

Am happy we have added 3 attacking players. We still need a decent right back but that can wait till the summer.
100% Agree

:crest:
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

Undecided. Not sure we needed the addition of 3 strikers. 1 would've been enough IMO, but not a bad thing though. McCarthy seems overpriced and on too much, but Mido could be an inspired bit of business. Biggest plus is of course not selling anyone, but with G&S coming in I hoped that we wouldn't need to anyway.

Am slightly disappointed though as we have been desperate for some width, so some wingers would've been the priority for me. Pedersen could've been worth a gamble when his contract was up in the Summer. Worrying is that Zola doesn't seem bothered by our lack of width, and ultimately any real creativity.

A RB would've been nice to, but the Galactico is doing ok, and a relatively experienced CB. For the rest of the relegation run-in we've pinned a lot on Tomkins keeping up his recent run of good from.
hamz

Post by hamz »

claretcloggy wrote:here's a thought; perhaps T*ttenham don't wanna do business with us anymore after our comments regarding gudjohnsen?
i think it goes a bit further back than that ;)

anyway i couldnt care less about the who or where its more about that right back position
RUNWELL RAY

Post by RUNWELL RAY »

The word I would use is relieved. As everyone else as said the main thing is that we have not sold our assets & with the 3 strikers brought in we have more than enough to avoid relegation.
I have never liked Mido but if the story that he is on a grand a week, then fair play to him. It is what we need players that are hungry & want to prove themselves.
10 Iron

Post by 10 Iron »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Why is there never a proper in-between? :lol:

I'm not 'reasonably happy', I'm very happy, but not absolutely delighted.

Bah, I'm not voting.

Stick yer poll....

Love it :lol:
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Reasonably delighted

would have gone for somewhere between reasonably happy and absolutely delighted.
firstly pleased that no first team players went and the only outgoing was the worst CEO in the world ever TM
Secondly, was pleased with the strikers coming in. Don't believe it was over the top and gives options, cover for unforeseen injury and two players that may become permanent in the summer with a bit of edge about them
thirdly, quashie and jiminez off the wage bill

only slight disappointment wasn't the right back that people keep mentioning but a creative left midfielder. zola won't win me over until he plays with some width I'm afraid..