The January transfer window [POLL]

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

How do you feel about West Ham United's January transfer window business?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:24 am

Absolutely delighted
24%
Reasonably happy
70%
Undecided
3%
Slightly disappointed
3%
Utterly underwhelmed
1%

Total votes: 327

ottsands
Doesn't Mind Sharing
Has liked: 2 likes

Re: The January transfer window [POLL]

Post by ottsands »

Hambrosia Stu wrote:I'd have liked a bit more width
:lol:
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Simple question - Is the squad stronger or weaker than on the 1st of January?

A: Stronger, and that hasn't been the case for the last few windows so Reasonably Happy is the vote.

Being nitpicky I think we should have got a right back from somewhere but Faubert will do with Specs backing up for now.

I hope Zola gets a chance to have a go at some serious squad building in the summer :raver:
maidenhammer

Post by maidenhammer »

I voted reasonably happy, i'm pleased we got a few options upfront now.

I'm not going to get too excited for the summer transfer window after watching DS interview on hardtalk i think we can expect a few years of prudent spending (enough to keep us in the prem) until the debt is under control. :thup:
LifeCoach

Post by LifeCoach »

hamz wrote:we attempted to sign hutton on loan, so obviously there is a concern from management, why didnt we just throw a bit of money at the problem? :eh:
Who says we tried to buy Hutton? Rumours in tabloids are not facts.

Secondly to some of those moaning ... get real!
With our finances it would not have been a surprise, or even unreasonable, for our old owners or any other new owners, to have sold our top 3 players and bought absolutely nobody.
MacGill

Post by MacGill »

Assuming Robert Green and Matt Upson will be leaving the club in the Summer, due to the fact we seem unable or unwilling to match their "Icelandic" wages, while it also appears that Valon Behrami and Alessandro Diamanti will also be sold due to the fact they are the "franchise players" of the so-called 'Football Project' and anything they do positively, looks bad on Gold and Sullivan. When you add in the fact that Boa Morte, Davenport, Ilan, Mido, Hines, Franco and others are all out of contract, while Dyer, Dixon and Gabbidon may well be shown the door if their injury situation has not improved, it is quite worrying the situation we have got ourselves in as we look forward to next season.

Kurucz; Stech.
Faubert; Spector; Tomkins; da Costa; Ilunga; Daprela.
Collison; Noble; Parker; Kovac; Payne; Stanislas.
Cole; McCarthy; Nouble.

That could leave the squad in a terribly poor position, because of the lack of squad gains in the transfer window. 3 forwards was always going to be too many, especially with Nouble and Sears at the club as well and even more so if they weren't going to be signed until Cole was fully fit anyway!

It will be interesting to see what direction Gold and Sullivan want to take this team in, as we would have to make 2 or 3 midfield signings if they want to play an out and out 4-4-2 with wingers. Not to mention players to replace the likes of Upson, Green and Franco as well. It promises to be an extremely nerve-wracking and busy Summer for West Ham United and it's 2 joint-chairmen. I just hope we don't see a case of 6 in and 6 out every window like we had under Redknapp.

Congratulations on the signings of McCarthy and Mido to bolster the attack, but Ilan was unnecessary and the contracts of Upson and Green must be renewed if we are looking to progress as a club. Especially as we have missed out on signing 1 of the few keepers who would have been a good (younger) replacement for Green, if he wished to leave, in Asmir Begovic.
Big_Russ

Post by Big_Russ »

Just for a bit of a comparison, most of us were way off the mark on what we thought the 12 months would bring.

Wonder how many people will be "reasonably happy" with this windows dealings...
:think:
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

I think rather less of us would have been happy with Mido & McCarthy if we'd known how many pies they'd been eating.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

I was one of the 9 slightly disappointed and I still am 8-)