Summer 2010 Transfer Talk/Rumours

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bobo

Re: Summer 2010 Transfer Talk/Rumours

Post by bobo »

I would keep an eye out today guys as I think there could be a chance that we move for a couple of free agents today before the squad is announced.

If you look at the list there is one or two that have been linked with moves to the club ie Francois Clerc, Laurent Bonnar.

Think the club could even look at players like: Michael Rensing, Bernard Mendy, Wilfred Bouma, Timo Hildebrand.

Would love to see Guy Assulin in but I can't see that happening. :lol:
Jigga
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Jigga »

The only way to move the club forward and attract quality players is to relocate to the OS. We are skint and no one of any quality wants to join us. We need to increase our income and revenue streams which we only happen once we move grounds.The sooner we move the better.

This transfer window has highlighted once again we are no longer a club quality players want to sign for, agents are advising players to sign for Birmingham,Sunderland or Stoke instead of us, this would never have happened three years ago... I bet in cases where we have been bidding for the same player we even offered similar wage packets but got turned down. e.g Wilson, Gudjohnson (last year).

IMO the reason we are being shunted in the transfer market is because we are now considered 'relegation' candidates. No player wants to sign for a bottom 4 club, if relegated the knock on effect is huge for players. Not only does it become difficult to transfer to another prem club but chances are their salaries are reduced with immediate effect. So why choose West Ham? Its saddens me to see our wonderful club in its current position.

We are top ten club on paper but the greed of the EPL has taken another victim. We count our lucky stars we havent done a Leeds/Portsmouth. Survival will be the target for the next 3 years until we move stadium.

Not alot to look forward to but rather than moaning/booing I think we should all get behind the team. We have good players who need our support, the likes of Noble and Cole need encouraging on match days as these two will be the diiference between survival and relegation.

Time to show the footballing world what great supporters we are!!! :crest:
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

Are we already moaning about Grant?!

I am giving him plenty of time to integrate the new signings and mould them into the shape he wants us to play in before slagging him off.

....................Cole.............
Dyer..........................Obinna/Barrera

........Parker..............Noble
.......................Hitz

Ilunga Gabbidon Da Costa Jacobsen

...................Green..........................

Looks decent enough to win the vast majority of our home games...

I am really looking forward to the new boys starting more games as the team fielded against Man Utd was a grim reminder of last season!!
Last edited by West Ham Matt on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jigga
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Jigga »

Well said DC.

Now's the time to pull rank and everyone to unite as one.

COYI
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

whuRichforever wrote:I think we had a great window. Ok sure, i (like the every single west ham fan out there) was waiting and watching for that all of a sudden brilliant marquee signing to come out of nowhere on deadline day, but am i dissapointed that it didnt happen, no not really.

The goal keeping situation is an interesting one, i would have expected a gk to come in, there were rumours and rumblings but nothing iron clad materialised. If the guys upstairs are not doing all they can to bring in Timo Hildebrand given that he is a free agent, before the 25 deadline i am shoked. I realise he is 31, but that experience would push Green all the way and no doubt improve Green as a player.

Our defensive line up is an enviable one on paper, if we can get them to play effectively as a unit (easy to say i realise, but a fair old task for Avram) we could potentially have a very solid defence. I think we need to give players like TBH and Reid and by the looks of it Jacobson time to settle and find their place in the squad. I agree with those on here who think we should find a structure to the back 4, a starting back four and then replacements. I reckon i will get pelted with rotten veg for this suggestion, but given (what i think is the rather strange) departure of Daprela we are in the situation we were in a couple of years back where we have only one true left back in the 1st team squad so, dare i say it, but purely as cover (unless Avram intends on using the likes of Jordan Brown) from the reserves, which may be a more favorable option to what i am about to suggest) Michael Ball is on a free transfer. ----dives for cover----

Im loving our midfield options, they are numerous and fantastic. I think we can all agree that Hitz has been an inspired signing and i for one cannot wait to see him start in the Prem. However with out a shadow our best pice of business this summer was keeping hold of Scotty P. Those two in the middle of the park will be a fantastic combination. Baqrrera is one of the most exciting players i have seen in a West Ham shirt for a long time, and i think that once he really settles into life at the Upton, he may end up a right bargain. Given that Behrami is still with us despite all reports saying he was trying to get away, perhaps he may really start to work hard at the destructive play he seemed so good at last season and raise his value for the January window.

Up front i think we have done very well, and we needed to. What has been very clear from the out set of the few prem games we have played is that, in my opinion CC although working hard and dogged as he always does is feeling the pressure of having to get the goals for his club. The aquisition of Piq has proved to be a good one with the link up play between the two in the first few games being one of the brighter aspects to take away from the games. I also feel that oce CC finally bags a goal, they will start flowing thick and fast, perhaps he might hit 15+ this season??? fingers crossed. Obinna, although i havent seen much of him, i have heard good things, apparently a pacey goal scorer, if he settles into premiership life quickly we could have a good player on our hands.

So all in all i think i was a good window, but in honesty we wont know that untill december, if we are free and clear of the relegation zone, then it was a great window, if we are not then things have to be done in january for the close of the season.
Great article mate, but so far as I can see, Piq seems to me, a carbon copy of Cole and I don't feel the two compliment each other very well, being too alike, irrespective that he cost next to nothing, I still don't think that this was most astute piece of piece of business we did, nor could have done in the window. I know he would have been considered a gamble, but I still have this very strong feeling that Southampton's Ricky Lambert would have been £ for £ a far better acquisition, would score more goals and being the sort of Tony Cottee, sniffer, type striker, we so desperately need, would have been a much better foil for CC. Spot on overall though :thup:
Haylabamba

Post by Haylabamba »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Of course we could argue that we still needed a couple of players in specific positions, but let's be honest here - we've had a very decent and efficient window. We've also kept all of our 'best' players.

The problem, is that there hasn't been a last ditch extravagant signing to quench the thirst for all those impetuous, knee-jerk, impatient wanting fans' thirsts.
Also, people are overreacting on 3 games, which is typical and doesn't help.

3 games.

Let's face it, had we signed Ben-Haim, Barerra, Piquionne and Reid in July/August, then on the very last couple of hours, signed Hitzlsperger & Obinna... the vast majority of people would be hailing this transfer window a success.

I swear to god that if we had signed Neymar, Remy, Hitzlsperger, Yobo and Huntelaar in this window, people would have STILL complained, had we not made a last day signing.

Sadly, it's absolutely 100% symbolic of just how impatient and unrealistic people have grown to become in this financially motivated world we live in, which is lived in milliseconds.
100% This! :thup:
whuRichforever

Post by whuRichforever »

Here is a question for anyone who might be more knowledgable then i am,

based on what i know about this 25man squad criterion i believe it is that you can name your 25 1st team squad but you are allowed as many players 21 and under (at the date of registration) to play in your first team squad as you like. So this got me thinking as follows;

1. Green
2. Kurucz
3. Faubert
4. Jaconson (we think)
5. Ilunga
6. Da Costa
7. Upson
8. Spector
9. Reid
10. TBH
11. Parker
12. Hitz
13. Behrami
14. Noble
15. Kovac
16. Dyer
17. Barrera
18. Boa Morte
19. Cole
20. Obinna
21. McCarthy
22. Piq

Which allows Stech, Tomkins, Spence, Collison, Stanislas, Sears, Nouble and Hines along with the rest of the reserve team to remain unregistered but available for the first team as they are 21 or under at the point of registration which i believe is 5pm toninght.

So what got me wondering is 23, 24 and 25 there are 3 available slots in the 25 man squad, so as these are free and available can they be filled after the fact? For exaple if we signed Clerc tomorrow can he fill one of the free available slots as this would not be altering the 25 man squad, but just filling our player allowance, anyone know???
leytonhammer

Post by leytonhammer »

whuRichforever wrote:Here is a question for anyone who might be more knowledgable then i am,

based on what i know about this 25man squad criterion i believe it is that you can name your 25 1st team squad but you are allowed as many players 21 and under (at the date of registration) to play in your first team squad as you like. So this got me thinking as follows;

1. Green
2. Kurucz
3. Faubert
4. Jaconson (we think)
5. Ilunga
6. Da Costa
7. Upson
8. Spector
9. Reid
10. TBH
11. Parker
12. Hitz
13. Behrami
14. Noble
15. Kovac
16. Dyer
17. Barrera
18. Boa Morte
19. Cole
20. Obinna
21. McCarthy
22. Piq

Which allows Stech, Tomkins, Spence, Collison, Stanislas, Sears, Nouble and Hines along with the rest of the reserve team to remain unregistered but available for the first team as they are 21 or under at the point of registration which i believe is 5pm toninght.

So what got me wondering is 23, 24 and 25 there are 3 available slots in the 25 man squad, so as these are free and available can they be filled after the fact? For exaple if we signed Clerc tomorrow can he fill one of the free available slots as this would not be altering the 25 man squad, but just filling our player allowance, anyone know???
Gabbidon!!!?
whuRichforever

Post by whuRichforever »

OOOPS!!!!

My bad, forgot about Gabbidon.

In that case there are two free slots available anyone know??? :lol:
bobo

Post by bobo »

whuRichforever wrote:Here is a question for anyone who might be more knowledgable then i am,

1. Green
2. Kurucz
3. Faubert
4. Jaconson (we think)
5. Ilunga
6. Da Costa
7. Upson
8. Spector
9. Reid
10. TBH
11. Parker
12. Hitz
13. Behrami
14. Noble
15. Kovac
16. Dyer
17. Barrera
18. Boa Morte
19. Cole
20. Obinna
21. McCarthy
22. Piq

I was thinking the exact same thing earlier & was going to do the exact same post, so thank you. :lol:

There maybe a chance that the club is trying to wrap up a free transfer as we speak, Clerc would be the one for me & it would mean that we have two right-back & Spector can cover the left back spot or we might even be looking at Bouma?

It seemed that AG was a bit gutted yesterday about not getting his targets so they may have moved on to plan be if they have one!

As to your question if you have to name a squad by 5pm that must mean it's the cut off.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

whuRichforever wrote: So what got me wondering is 23, 24 and 25 there are 3 available slots in the 25 man squad, so as these are free and available can they be filled after the fact? For exaple if we signed Clerc tomorrow can he fill one of the free available slots as this would not be altering the 25 man squad, but just filling our player allowance, anyone know???
Clubs do not have to name a full squad of 25 if they do not have that many contracted players and in this instance they may add free agents outside the transfer window. However if they have 25 eligible contracted players, they must be named.
Irons Man

Post by Irons Man »

Fred Poster wrote:Cole = Average to Good
Piquionne = not good enough
McCarthy = not light enough
Hines = not good enough
Sears = not good enough

= 20 goals between them this season if we are lucky.

Take Cole out and you can drop that to under 10 this season.

There is the problem in my opinion.
Pretty sure Piq outscored Cole last season?
whuRichforever

Post by whuRichforever »

whuRichforever wrote: So what got me wondering is 23, 24 and 25 there are 3 available slots in the 25 man squad, so as these are free and available can they be filled after the fact? For exaple if we signed Clerc tomorrow can he fill one of the free available slots as this would not be altering the 25 man squad, but just filling our player allowance, anyone know???
SammyLeeWasOffside wrote:Clubs do not have to name a full squad of 25 if they do not have that many contracted players and in this instance they may add free agents outside the transfer window. However if they have 25 eligible contracted players, they must be named.
So that means we do not have to register our squad then and we can add to it with free agents surely???

Clerc and Hildebrand please :D
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

Irons Man wrote:
Pretty sure Piq outscored Cole last season?
5 Premier league goals, he looks OK, but he is not a goal scorer.
joyful

Post by joyful »

We still need one more "home-grown" player don't we? Cole, Parker, Noble, Green, Upson, Dyer and Spector (at Man Utd since he was 17) count.

I thought it was 8 home grown?
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Fred, that's a ridiculous review.

Piquionne scored 11 goals for a relegated club last season, and has looked lively so far. McCarthy has looked Ok, both times he's came on. Get him fit, and we are laughing. I really can't believe the amount of **** McCarthy gets. He came off the back of an injury and no playing time. Is the best striker we have at the club ability wise by far, no question. He for me, should be coming off the bench every game, playing in the reserves, and then should be a starter once he's got fitness and playing time under his belt. Hines not good enough? :lol:. Deary me, you obviously aren't made to be a scout. Sears is not good enough, no, I'll give you that one. He's too lightweight etc. But, another season playing in full in the Championship, might make it a different matter. He didn't play much at Palace last season, so again, it's a waste loan.
Bishy

Post by Bishy »

I'm sure Collison is over 21 and misses out by about 2 months, therefore needs to be added to the 25 man squad.
Zatopek

Post by Zatopek »

Apologies if he's already merited a mention somewhere in the preceeding 1000+ pages, but now we've actually secured Ruud Boffin's signature I feel a whole lot more optimistic about the coming season.

:arry:
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

joyful wrote:We still need one more "home-grown" player don't we? Cole, Parker, Noble, Green, Upson, Dyer and Spector (at Man Utd since he was 17) count.

I thought it was 8 home grown?
Gabbidon.

It counts at a Welsh club aswell...and Cardiff play in the English league.