The Olympic Stadium [2010 Poll]

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you support the proposed move to an Olympic Stadium with a running track, post-2012 games?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:48 am

Yes
18%
No
73%
Undecided
9%

Total votes: 410

beckton

Re: Stratford 2012: the running track [POLL]

Post by beckton »

hadleighhammer wrote:
There's definitely a recent shift in our fans belief in our actual size and potential, as well as the expectations for success. I blame Eggy. :evil:

Or it could be some of us are fed up of the constant under-achievement, being badly run for years and the lack of ambition.
GideaParkHammer

Post by GideaParkHammer »

ottsands wrote:

I just don't want us to fall down into a lower league as I won't be able to see us on TV
There is no reason for that to happen. We already generate the 8th highest revenue in the Premier League, (only around 4m behind Villa). It has been the cost management of previous owners that have created the problems. If we expanded the East Stand to a capacity we could fill, we would probably easily get back in the top 25 richest clubs in the world.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1550 likes
Total likes: 1622 likes

Post by I am Legend »

its the people that make the club and the atmosphere, not the stadium.

i've heard west ham fans sound great in all kinds of stadia, large, small, bowls, it doesnt matter. we have great support and hopefully always will.

we need a better team, a better stadium. And it wasnt just arsenals previous chairman who was terrified of the thought of west ham moving to the OS. it really could help us move forward.

yes the running track is annoying but im hoping they can come up with a way to move it or cover it
Northern_Light
Location: Where the Sun keeps on shining, even past the witching hour!

Post by Northern_Light »

GideaParkHammer wrote:We already generate the 8th highest revenue in the Premier League
And we're mortgaged to the hilt. In fact, we're mortgaged up to the new hilt that is scheduled to replace the existing hilt in three years time!
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

Is it not possible that from certain sections of the OS you might actually get a good view?

I'm also hoping for some retractable seating. There must be some engineering solution...
Dazzaboy

Post by Dazzaboy »

I am Legend wrote:its the people that make the club and the atmosphere, not the stadium.

i've heard west ham fans sound great in all kinds of stadia, large, small, bowls, it doesnt matter. we have great support and hopefully always will.

we need a better team, a better stadium. And it wasnt just arsenals previous chairman who was terrified of the thought of west ham moving to the OS. it really could help us move forward.

yes the running track is annoying but im hoping they can come up with a way to move it or cover it

He said that?

Could this move realy help us move forward? will the increased capacity help us with bigger wages and transfers? If the capacity is roughly 50,000 how many seats could will fill on a rgular basis?

im excited by the move but I have a massive concern over the running track, Part of the reason I spent money on the season ticket is because of the buzz and atmosphere, would we realy loose the atmosphere?
GideaParkHammer

Mike420 wrote:Is it not possible that from certain sections of the OS you might actually get a good view?

I'm also hoping for some retractable seating. There must be some engineering solution...
Sorry Mike, the reason I must sound like a broken record is that many of these questions have been asked before.

The lower tier of the OS is built into a natural bowl. As someone else said, we would have to demolish the permanent part of the stadium and retain the temporary upper tier. Now, G&S have confirmed that we can not dig down due to contaminated land and the high cost of combatting the water table. So unless you want a 1:1.1 Gradient where no one can see over the head of the person in front, retractable seating is a non starter. Well not unless you want something like this:

Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

My CAD drawing, thank me later :lol: ...

beckton

Post by beckton »

Mike420 wrote: My CAD drawing, thank me later :lol: ...
You an architect?
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

beckton wrote: Or it could be some of us are fed up of the constant under-achievement, being badly run for years and the lack of ambition.
There is that, no doubt. I haven't gone around the country for 30 years with little or no success mainly because I'm not 30, but TBH it's not why I, or I would suppose the majority of West Ham fans go. Maybe I'll think different in a decade or 2, but I doubt it. I'll certainly not change my view on watching West Ham in a corporate bowl with a running track.

I'm not sure how moving to the OS means we're better run, and this ambition could end up being disasterous (see Eggy's tenure). As I said, to me it's the willingness to gamble to match this ambition that may make up a lot of the different opinions on the OS.
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

beckton wrote:
You an architect?
You could say that 8-) , I know my way round paint. Built a few sandcastles in my time :thup: .
ottsands
Doesn't Mind Sharing
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by ottsands »

Mike420 wrote: My CAD drawing, thank me later :lol: ...
Your drawing style is a perfect match for your profile picture. :wink: :thup:

I also think we should clear up this use of the word "Temporary" . . . . it's only called that because it was intended to be dismantled and sold to the Yanks, it's not like it's got a limited life or is substandard in any way.
GideaParkHammer

Here is my equally professional "CAD" pics

The way the OS has been constructed, any retractable seating would have to follow the lines of the existing oval

As you can see, the gap between the end stands and the pitch has not been improved that much.

Using the angles of the existing gradient of the lower tier, and the distance from the pitch, this would be the gradient needed for retractable seating. Unless the club issue ticket by height, you will be unlikely to see over the heads of the people in front

Northern_Light

Post by Northern_Light »

What I don't understand about this bowl shape is that there is so much wasted space between the athletics fans and the tracks both top and bottom. Those stands could be permanently altered to give a shallower rake and bring the stands to just next to the running track.

Then, behind the goal posts, the rake of the lowest tier is made shallower, and the new section of the track be made retractable/dismantleable. I understand this lowest tier already has a fairly shallow rake, but at least the expanded stand wouldn't have zero rake at all. For the athletics then, there would be a wall behind the bends. There would still be some distance behind the goal, but nothing like what it is now, in fact, it would be half.

The biggest issue is therefore the rake of the lowest tier. Making a shallower rake on an existing structure is easier than making a deeper rake, for instance, so it could be just a matter of building up the concrete on the terrace in a controlled way.

Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

Fair points. Well it would be useful if Gullivan discounted that method. None of us know the gradients so it might still be viable, but I get your point.
Northern_Light

Post by Northern_Light »

Isn't one way to get around the problem of people of different heights on a shallow rake is to simply make the seats more reclined? It can make a big difference. It's easy to demonstrate, take two rectangles of different sizes, sit them upright next to each other, and measure the difference from each back edge. Then, incline them, and now measure the difference at the back. The difference in height can be halved by a 45 degree incline. That idea can be used to optimise a shallow rake, me thinks.
ottsands
Doesn't Mind Sharing

Post by ottsands »

If you stick all the corporates at one end you could have great big, single tier, kop style stands all the way round.

I'd like that.
WH2201

Post by WH2201 »

First. I voted no. I would prefer explore the third option another site and build a new stadium smiler to new Everton Stadium worth 150 million pounds.http://www.toffeeweb.com/club/kirkby/EFCBrochure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please correct me if i am wrong but isent the cost transforming the Olympic Stadium to 50,00 premier league stadium close to 140 million pounds. Would it not be more logical to build a new stadium rather then throwing the money on the Olympic stadium.
The New stadium would be designed to have the stand close to the pitch and with the profit of the naming rights. The new stadium would cost evan less.

Here is a drawing of the proposed new Everton stadium with little chances made by me. I filled up the the corners.
ottsands
Doesn't Mind Sharing

Post by ottsands »

But frankly, if they can't afford to dig out a bit of contanimated mud, what chance do we have of any of our grand plans.

We should all set up our own architectural practice though. :wink:
GideaParkHammer

ottsands wrote: We should all set up our own architectural practice though. :wink:
We would save millions if all our presentations and renders were done in paint.