The Olympic Stadium [2010 Poll]

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you support the proposed move to an Olympic Stadium with a running track, post-2012 games?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:48 am

Yes
18%
No
73%
Undecided
9%

Total votes: 410

Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Re: Stratford 2012: the running track [POLL]

Post by Pop Robson »

From the Olympic Park Legacy Company, ptich size of 105m x 68m is the UEFA size for European competition

Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

Well that throws a spanner in the works. So according to that we'll have a better view than wembley?
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

Having a running track is one of the reason Juventus are building a new stadium,

Serie A giants Juventus have unveiled plans for a new 40,000-seater stadium that will be built on the site of the Stadio Delle Alpi, which has not been used for two and a half years now.
Juventus moved out of the stadium in 2006 after fans became increasingly upset with a number of problems with the stadium, along with Torino who share the ground.
Both sets of fans complained that the athletics track surrounding the pitch meant the fans were to far from the pitch, causing problems with the stadiums atmosphere. Advertising boards were also said to restrict the views of fans sitting in the lower tiers of the stadium.
The stadium, built in 1990, was also on the outskirts of the city of Turin, which caused problems with fans travelling to the game, preferring a stadium inside the city limits. An example of the fans anger with the stadium is when only 237 fans turned up for a cup tie against Sampdoria in 2001.
Club officials have revealed plans to build a new £100million stadium on the site of their former home, which could be open for the start of the 2011-12 season.
Should the plans go ahead, then Juventus would be one of few Serie A clubs to actually own their own ground as most are owned and operated by local councils.
President Giovanni Cobolli Gigli told media: “Juventus is the first club in Italy to have a stadium all its own. It gives the club a chance to diversify its revenue and find new sources for future investments.”

Northern_Light
Location: Where the Sun keeps on shining, even past the witching hour!

Post by Northern_Light »

There is still not enough reliable information to make an informed decision about this, and really, as the poll stands, it's already a no-brainer that people will say no to a running track that simply circles the track and is covered by turf in winter. But other possibilities exist, such as sinking the pitch further and bringing temporary seating close to the pitch all round.

Even as is though, it's interesting to make the comparisons with Wembley, which would be roughly equivalent in viewing distances, as that generates a great atmosphere. I assume we'd have a better turf, though it seems Sold were talking with several potential 'share' partners.

I wonder how much of the atmosphere depends on the roof design rather than distance to the pitch?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Can't believe so many people are saying yes.
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

Mike420 wrote:Well that throws a spanner in the works. So according to that we'll have a better view than wembley?
Best to compare the 50,000 OS figures with the Manchester stadium

Back row at Wembley is a crap view anyway
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Can't believe so many people are saying yes.
A poll of STH and members by the club may result in hardly any 'yes' votes. Easy to vote yes to something your not going to visit week in week out.
prince_huggy
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by prince_huggy »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Can't believe so many people are saying yes.
So many? When I voted yes, there were 14! :? I think moving would be a step forward to be honest. Nobody likes change and this would be a huge change, so I understand why people are saying no.
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

I don't want to go to one of those big soulless stadiums where you get a good view (which I already get) and easly access to Carling lager. I prefer a ground with a few pubs around it. The best example is the Emirates which is horrible. UP with the 4th stand upgraded would be fine. A running track just drives the final nail in the coffin. I would be worried that we don't own our own ground as well.
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

prince_huggy wrote: So many? When I voted yes, there were 14! :? I think moving would be a step forward to be honest. Nobody likes change and this would be a huge change, so I understand why people are saying no.
So you would have no problem watching a football match from across a running track?
Bishy

Post by Bishy »

I am not against change. I love the Boleyn Ground, but can see the benefits of moving away.

Taking Arsenal as an example, as I have been to both Highbury and The Emirates. The latter is far superior and quite frankly a fantastic stadium. Better than Wembley. This is a shining example of how a move is a positive.

I am unsure though just how suited to football the OS is. I have plenty of vivid memories at UP as a child and being so close to the players and the action. It would be truely awful to lose this.

I am not adverse to the OS having a running track, but the distance from the pitch is too far. Other stadiums around Europe and the World have had this and problems have been identified. I fail to see how the OS will be any different. Covering the track in grass will also make no difference. The distance will still be the same. Us fans are not as thick as "out of sight, out of mind". The only viable option appears to be temporary seating over the track.

If the distances are similar to Wembley, I have sat in the nose bleeds. About 4 rows from the back, at the highest point over the centre of the pitch. The view was good. You had a great overview of the whole game, but I was watching the American Football. I am not so sure how appealling it would be to watch a football match that way.

It is a shame construction in this country seems to be so expensive. Ideally a move to a new purpose built stadium would be ideal. I have no idea why in this country costs spiral out of all proportion and go wildly over budget. Comparing the Stade de France to Wembley which was built far cheaper, quicker and is a better ground. Something like that Espanol ground would be ideal.
Lennie Hammer

Post by Lennie Hammer »

clawhammer wrote:I would be worried that we don't own our own ground as well.
CH: Why do we need to own our ground mate?

If it's because we need something to fall back on when we're financially in the ****, then I think we're almost at that point now.

As for moving… I'm undecided. G & S need to tell us the implications of not moving really, before we can make up our minds properly.
hammer2192

Post by hammer2192 »

Tbh I think it would be an honor to move into the Olympic Stadium, the facilities would be brilliant, we will have larger attendances and it would be ready in a few years instead of making a stadium from scratch but think, can we really say goodbye to Upton Park? Imagine the last game we have there, it would be very emotional and many of us couldn't say goodbye to The Boleyn Ground, I'm in two minds over this because there are too many grey areas here in my opinion, I think the Davids should make an official fans poll and if there isn't a majority vote then let's all make some kinda coalition! :wink:
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

I realise that ins't a football pitch, but you get the idea of retractable seating. Could cover most of the lower tier and the gradient could be less.
FurryDice Upton Boy

Post by FurryDice Upton Boy »

I Would not be in favour of the running track being left in situ - but i still feel out of necessity we need to be thinking of moving to a new stadium! Just now not convinced the OS is the answer!

So i will change me vote from a YES on the initial poll to a NO now!!! :(
prince_huggy
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by prince_huggy »

HammerMan2004 wrote:So you would have no problem watching a football match from across a running track?
No not really. Where I normally sit is way back anyway :D
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

FurryDice Upton Boy wrote:I Would not be in favour of the running track being left in situ - but i still feel out of necessity we need to be thinking of moving to a new stadium! Just now not convinced the OS is the answer!

So i will change me vote from a YES on the initial poll to a NO now!!! :(
Genius. The poll is about do you want the running track, you don't, so you voted Yes. :lol:
FurryDice Upton Boy

Post by FurryDice Upton Boy »

So i will change me vote from a YES on the initial poll to a NO now!!! :([/quote]

Genius. The poll is about do you want the running track, you don't, so you voted Yes. :lol:[/quote]

I voted No to the Running track and no to the stadium move!

d'oh!
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Undecided.

There's simply no way of knowing what it'll be like until we actually get to see the completed stadium. There are stadiums with athletics tracks which aren't too far from the pitch and still have good atmospheres. There are stadiums that are the opposite. I'm definitely for the move, but have to admit that the athletics track is a troubling development.
Bucks Hammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Bucks Hammer »

Mike420 wrote:I was pro the move, but if all they want to do is just cover the track then that's a no go for me. Probably be best to just build a new stadium. The stadium of light cost sunderland 29m and espanyols new stadium 60 euros.
Problem solved we build nice new stadium for 60 euro's, I'll even pay myself! :D