The Olympic Stadium [2010 Poll]

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you support the proposed move to an Olympic Stadium with a running track, post-2012 games?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:48 am

Yes
18%
No
73%
Undecided
9%

Total votes: 410

hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Re: The Olympic Stadium

Post by hammer »

chris the hammer wrote:The reason Sp*rs have not had much impact on West Ham over the last 100 years is there trophy haul is not much better than ours.
Also their stadium holds around the same amount of fans as ours.
And i would argue we have a better history than them.
:shock: you're having a laugh Image
Ironworx

Post by Ironworx »

mushy wrote:
So, we are moving just to stop them huh?
brilliant, is there anything at all positive as regards the O/S?
I just dont fancy sitting with 15,000 fans sixty meters friom the pitch, still everyone to their own I suppose.
There isn't a win situation for us Mushy...

If they get it we lose due to their gain, they rebuild to whatever spec they desire just a couple of miles away, 60'000 or whatever.

With us locked into a half size 35K capacity stadium, with no prospect of anything else....

But If we get it it's far from ideal as we won't rebuild, so we play in an athletics stadium....

But the mugs at least are at WHL, where they may well be locked into a half sized stadium due to the enormous cost of rebuilding at WHL....

On the balance of things I think its a pretty grim future for us with double sized mugs two miles down the road, but it looks like it's either that or we play in an athletics stadium....

As I said at the outset doesn't look like there's a win situation for us, but since when has that been anything new :|
GeorgeParris'Pet

Post by GeorgeParris'Pet »

chris the hammer wrote:The reason Sp*rs have not had much impact on West Ham over the last 100 years is there trophy haul is not much better than ours.
If they move to the O.S. they will have one of the best stadiums in the country, with fantastic rail and transport links, the stadium itself will hold at least 60,000 fans, and they have already said they will target 5 - 11 year olds from neighbouring boroughs as well as the West Ham stronghold of Essex.
I was totally against us moving to the O.S. but we must put our selfish reasons aside and do what is best for West Ham F.C.
And STOP the north London w***ers from entering our manor, also to stick by our fellow Hammers from Stratford...!!!
Suffering from a slight touch of brain fade?

WHL's record attendance is 30,000 more than ours. In the early 60s for example, their average crowd was bigger than our record attendance. Currently WHL and UP are similar in size, yet Tottenham have a big ST waiting list. We don't and our ST numbers are dropping. They've won the league twice, we ain't. They've won the FA Cup five times more than we have. I ****ing hate em, but to say the two clubs are equal in status is a load of horse **** I'm afraid.

I don't want Tottenham moving to Stratford, but them moving is not a valid reason for us moving.
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

chris the hammer wrote:[

The reason Sp*rs have not had much impact on West Ham over the last 100 years is there trophy haul is not much better than ours.
If they move to the O.S. they will have one of the best stadiums in the country, with fantastic rail and transport links, the stadium itself will hold at least 60,000 fans, and they have already said they will target 5 - 11 year olds from neighbouring boroughs as well as the West Ham stronghold of Essex.
I was totally against us moving to the O.S. but we must put our selfish reasons aside and do what is best for West Ham F.C.
And STOP the north London w***ers from entering our manor, also to stick by our fellow Hammers from Stratford...!!!
chris the hammer wrote:[The reason Sp*rs have not had much impact on West Ham over the last 100 years is there trophy haul is not much better than ours....!!!

are you being series if so you really need to go and check up on your football history Spurs have won 18 trophies in their history (that includes 2 league titles 8 FA Cups and 4 League cups + 2 Uefa cups )we have won just 6 trophies (3 Fa cups the cup winners cup and a couple of divisio 2 titles) so please explain how their trophy haul "is not much better than ours"...
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

I actually agree with mushy.

We would be going there for all the wrong reasons. Half the ticket prices? We won't even double the crowds so the revenue would actually be decreased if that happened - so it is impossible to half ticket prices. Apart from maybe the the seats which are miles behind the goal and up in the gods, where no one will want to sit, even those pro the OS.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

Ironworx wrote: There isn't a win situation for us Mushy...

If they get it we lose due to their gain, they rebuild to whatever spec they desire just a couple of miles away, 60'000 or whatever.

With us locked into a half size 35K capacity stadium, with no prospect of anything else....

But If we get it it's far from ideal as we won't rebuild, so we play in an athletics stadium....

But the mugs at least are at WHL, where they may well be locked into a half sized stadium due to the enormous cost of rebuilding at WHL....

On the balance of things I think its a pretty grim future for us with double sized mugs two miles down the road, but it looks like it's either that or we play in an athletics stadium....

As I said at the outset doesn't look like there's a win situation for us, but since when has that been anything new :|
Cant we pretend to go there, forcing Spurs to move to Crystal Palace or somewhere like that?
then pull the plug on some technical issue as soon as they lose interest.
We would actually be better off ground sharing the place................
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

mushy wrote:We would actually be better off ground sharing the place................
If opposed to them getting sole stewardship I would have to agree, we just can't have them in a shiney new stadia a few hundred yards down the road, become a feeder club or what.
chris the hammer

Post by chris the hammer »

mushy wrote: Am not quite sure what you are on about here but can you tell me how many of Gold and Sullivans promises have come true so far?
By the way with the figures you are quoting we would be getting about the same revenue as now, add to that the enormous rent we would be paying and we could be finished within 18 months of going there.
You are gambling my friend with the very existence of this club.

If the season tickets come down to say £300, it will attract many more fans back as well as new ones, we will be playing in one of the best Stadiums in England with fantastic rail and transport links we will be moving just a couple of miles down the road and staying in East London. We will be able to attract better players, and yes the tickets will probably increase fairly rapidly if we sell out every week, which I'm sure we will as unlike you i believe West Ham have a massive following every bit as big as spurs, the big difference is they go and watch a very good attacking team that challenges for trophies and Europe as we watch a bunch of ordinary players with 1 or 2 exceptions struggling relegation year after year, but we still go and watch them. Don'T forget when we were last relegated we averaged 33,000 in the first year. If we move into the O.S. and start playing anything like spurs, trust me we will sell out the O.S.. And as for gambling with our existence i could argue the other way if you let spurs move in to the O.S.
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

GeorgeParris'Pet wrote:[Suffering from a slight touch of brain fade?

WHL's record attendance is 30,000 more than ours. In the early 60s for example, their average crowd was bigger than our record attendance. Currently WHL and UP are similar in size, yet T*ttenham have a big ST waiting list. We don't and our ST numbers are dropping. They've won the league twice, we ain't. They've won the FA Cup five times more than we have. I f***ing hate em, but to say the two clubs are equal in status is a load of horse sh*t I'm afraid.

I don't want T*ttenham moving to Stratford, but them moving is not a valid reason for us moving.
People need to face facts like it no Spurs have always had a bigger fan base then ours and unlike West Ham, they would not struggle to fill a 60,000 seat stadium.
my brother's a Spurs fan and he was told the waiting list is 30,000+ so he'd love to see Spurs in a bigger stadium as then that would mean he'd stand a decent chance of getting a ticket for a game but although the transport links in the Tottenham, area are just as poor as they are at Upton Park, he'd much rather Spurs stay at White Heart Lane.
Hammer Smith

Post by Hammer Smith »

edit
Last edited by Hammer Smith on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

They might have a massive waiting list but if everyone on that list were given the opportunity to buy one what proprtion would? Much less than 30k I'd bet.
Ironworx

Post by Ironworx »

[quote="chris the hammer]

If the season tickets come down to say £300, it will attract many more fans back as well as new ones, we will be playing in one of the best Stadiums in England with fantastic rail and transport links we will be moving just a couple of miles down the road and staying in East London. We will be able to attract better players, and yes the tickets will probably increase fairly rapidly if we sell out every week, which I'm sure we will as unlike you i believe West Ham have a massive following every bit as big as Sp*rs, the big difference is they go and watch a very good attacking team that challenges for trophies and Europe as we watch a bunch of ordinary players with 1 or 2 exceptions struggling relegation year after year, but we still go and watch them. Don'T forget when we were last relegated we averaged 33,000 in the first year. If we move into the O.S. and start playing anything like Sp*rs, trust me we will sell out the O.S.. And as for gambling with our existence i could argue the other way if you let Sp*rs move in to the O.S.[/quote]

I'm not really certain what to think but you are right in that whatever we do its gambling with our future....

Stay at the Boleyn with those bastards a couple of miles down the road in a purpose built 60'000 seater and that's some gamble....

But move into an athletics stadium 60'000 seater ourselves and that's a gamble too....

In the longer term I don't think we can deal with double size them just along the road, but would moving ourselves be for the best ???

We need the bleeding wisdom of Herod, that is if we had a choice in it, which we don't as the Olympic Committee will make the choice and I would think it certain that once you accept you're committed....
beckton

Post by beckton »

Hammers80 wrote:They might have a massive waiting list but if everyone on that list were given the opportunity to buy one what proprtion would? Much less than 30k I'd bet.

I also read recently that members are automatically put on that list.

Arsenal a couple of years ago had a waiting list of 40,000+, I know this to because my nephew was about number 44,000.

At the start of last season he was contacted by Arsenal and offered the opportunity to buy one, so these lists look impressive but don't mean that much really.
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

mushy wrote: Am not quite sure what you are on about here but can you tell me how many of Gold and Sullivans promises have come true so far?
By the way with the figures you are quoting we would be getting about the same revenue as now, add to that the enormous rent we would be paying and we could be finished within 18 months of going there.
You are gambling my friend with the very existence of this club.
And you qualifications and knowledge for making such a statement on the viability of the o/s are?

For instance did you have the figures for the running costs of both, increased income from other tenants and users of the o/s, do you have any idea of the rent costs, have you factored increased income from shops and refreshments? Or is just guess work like anyone else who has commented on the finacial viability of the move. About the one thing you can trust the Daves on is the finacial viability of it as long as they get it on their terms, don't forget if the club goes under it's their 60 million down the pan.
chris the hammer

Look its simple, do you want spurs to move into the O.S. sell out every week, getting stronger and stronger, richer and richer, until they become the dominant team in the premiership. Or do you take a chance of West ham becoming at least a top ten team challenging for Europe and cups on a more consistent basis. If it werent for spurs wanting the O.S. i would probably vote against it, but i think the consequences of letting spurs move in could be very bad for West Ham. and as for spurs winning many more trophies than us, a couple of titles a few more F.A. cups, a couple of Euro cups its not exactly loads more is it, and you cant count the 4 mickey mouse cups, but if they move to the O.S. i fear they could add many more quite soon. { god help us.}
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

chris the hammer wrote: What makes you thunk there will only be 15,000 fans in the O.S.
Gold & Sullivan have stated that if we get the O.S. we will have the cheapest seats in the premiership, bearing in mind that wigan & Blackburn have tickets for £250.00 that means our season tickets will come down by at least half therefore bringing all those West Ham fans that could no longer afford it as well as bringing in thousands of new young kids through the turnstiles, i bet we will sell out most weeks if they keep their promises of cutting prices. for once stop thinking about whats good for you and think of whats good for West Ham F.C. and all those West Ham supporters that can no longer afford to go. { I THOUGHT FOOTBALL WAS A WORKING MANS GAME LETS GIVE IT BACK TO THE PEOPLE.} by the way i can afford to go so I'm not thinking about myself...!!!
I think you'll find the quote was cheapest seats in the premiership in London. This has been discussed a number of times, they could meet this commitment by having for example 5k seats at a cheaper price or by adjusting the bands so that the average is lower than other clubs. The greatest incentive for filling the ground will be success, relatively better than the last few years would help if not winning trophies. Remember Wimbledon? They had IIRC the cheapest top flight tickets thinking the opportunity to see top teams cheaply would increase gates, remember how that worked out? :wink:

I fully expect ticket deals in the first season, but long term the idea will be to increase revenue from a new ground not get the same from more people. For those reasons I expect similar price bands to now, for the seats with the best view, and a new lower price band for those seats furthest from the pitch.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

reduced season tickets - i can hear the 2 daves laughing from here !!!
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

chris the hammer wrote:If the season tickets come down to say £300, it will attract many more fans back as well as new ones, we will be playing in one of the best Stadiums in England with fantastic rail and transport links we will be moving just a couple of miles down the road and staying in East London.

No one knows if that's true until we see what alterations we will make to the stadium. Unless they are absolutely huge, we will not be playing in one of the best stadiums in England. One of the largest perhaps, but not one of the best.
chris the hammer wrote:We will be able to attract better players

Baseless conjecture.
chris the hammer wrote:and yes the tickets will probably increase fairly rapidly if we sell out every week, which I'm sure we will as unlike you i believe West Ham have a massive following every bit as big as Sp*rs
You believe wrong.
chris the hammer wrote:the big difference is they go and watch a very good attacking team that challenges for trophies and Europe as we watch a bunch of ordinary players with 1 or 2 exceptions struggling relegation year after year
That explains why they have a far larger fanbase quite well
chris the hammer wrote:but we still go and watch them. Don'T forget when we were last relegated we averaged 33,000 in the first year.
31,165 dropping to just over 27,000 the following year
chris the hammer wrote:If we move into the O.S. and start playing anything like Sp*rs, trust me we will sell out the O.S.
And why would we start playing anything like Spurs? They have invested far, far more in their squad for far, far longer than we have. We must be the best part of £100m behind them in terms of squad investment. How are we going to bridge that gap? Will take a hell of a lot more than £300 season tickets!
chris the hammer wrote:And as for gambling with our existence i could argue the other way if you let Sp*rs move in to the O.S.
It will be a gamble, but nothing that we can't tackle and take on. We would need to learn to adjust and re-examine our options. Moving to the OS and bulldozing the Boleyn is a one way journey. There's no turning back from it if it doesn't deliver the promised land you seem to expect.
chris the hammer

psychoscoredthelot wrote:reduced season tickets - i can hear the 2 daves laughing from here !!!
Look do you really think they will not reduce ticket prices, its in their best interest to fill the O.S., yes once we start to fill the ground regularly of course prices will increase but they will sill be some of the cheapest around. and as for being the cheapest premiership tickets in London i think you find we already are poppy, so i think you find the Quote from Gold was some of the cheapest in the Premiership.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

James P.

I seems you are looking at it from the most pessimistic and negative of ways though. I could be wrong, and if I have taken your post the wrnong way, then fair enough. Chris is looking at it as an optimistic and positive way. You can't say he's wrong because his opinion is the different end of the scale to yours.

If we stay up, what's to stay we can't start a period of progression? Start building, attracting better players, playing better football etc? You're looking at it as that we are definitely going down/will never reach a height better than relegation battle.

Are we gonna win the Premier League in 2020? You can't yes or no. 5 years ago, would you have said Man City would be title challengers or even nearly fill the City Of Manchester Stadium like they do now? No...but noone could forsee a takeover and massive cash injection.