Transfer Window: January 2011

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Re: January 2011 Transfer rumour thread

Post by bubbles1966 »

Whoever we sign, they need to be man enough to stand up to the pressure - especially defenders.

Have to say,there are some truly preposterous and totally unrealistic suggestions on this thread already :lol:
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

fjthegrey wrote:
Give them whoever it takes to get Kranjcar. Upson for Niko would be a good trade.
The most sensible thing I have heard on here for a long while :thup:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1792 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

fjthegrey wrote:

Give them whoever it takes to get Kranjcar. Upson for Niko would be a good trade.
From the Beeb's gossip page:-
Tottenham could renew their summer interest in West Ham midfielder Scott Parker after Tom Huddlestone was ruled out for at least three months because of ankle surgery.
Full story: Daily Express
Even him?
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

He's not just a whoever though is he. Scott Parker must be referred to by name at all times.
HammermanDan
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by HammermanDan »

If you spell "Scott Parker" in scrabble, you automatically win. Forever.
Chelmo Hammer

Post by Chelmo Hammer »

Alex & Terry out for the foreseeable future, Upson with 6 months to go on his contract and after a move to a big club. Do you think we could tempt Chelsea into thinking he could be a short term answer to their defensive problems in exchange for a couple of million?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Robert Pires joining Villa. :shock: (they really must be skint)

No wonder Sidwell, Reo-Coker and now Ireland et al are being lined up for the exit.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Chelmo Hammer wrote:Alex & Terry out for the foreseeable future, Upson with 6 months to go on his contract and after a move to a big club. Do you think we could tempt Chelsea into thinking he could be a short term answer to their defensive problems in exchange for a couple of million?
I reckon we could still get £1.5m for Upson with 6 months left on his contract.

I think that was what we paid for Lucas Neil when he had the same period left on his deal at Blackburn.
goingunderground
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by goingunderground »

bubbles1966 wrote:Robert Pires joining Villa. :shock: (they really must be skint)

No wonder Sidwell, Reo-Coker and now Ireland et al are being lined up for the exit.
Funnily enough, on Football Manager 11 games i've started since it came out, Pires goes there every time...

We could do with that old bag of French bones in our lil' relegation battle.

I actually hold him solely responsible for our relegation last time round, and subsequent fall into the dearth of top league football. I have facts to back it up too.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Chelmo Hammer wrote:Alex & Terry out for the foreseeable future, Upson with 6 months to go on his contract and after a move to a big club. Do you think we could tempt Chelsea into thinking he could be a short term answer to their defensive problems in exchange for a couple of million?

I'd swap Upson for 1m quid plus Daniel Sturridge on loan for the rest of the season. :think:
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

bubbles1966 wrote:Robert Pires joining Villa. :shock: (they really must be skint).
Or he's still a decent player, despite people ruling him out and slating him automatically based on his age.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Denbighammer wrote: I'd swap Upson for 1m quid plus Daniel Sturridge on loan for the rest of the season. :think:

That would be incredibly stupid. A million pound for a player whose loss would make our already troubled defence even worse. Where's Da Costa ? injured, Reids not ready, Tomkins has suffered with nerves, Gabbs has had lots of injuries, so we sell probably our mainstay defender. Even if you think he is **** which he isn't he's good enough to stay around and try and see us safe, if he does that the million pound we turned down would be chicken feed to staying in this league. Sturridge is a bright prospect for sure and we should be looking to add in January but not weaken in other areas whilst doing it.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

DC, I agree we'd have to get someone else in at centre back, I was kind of assuming that at least one will come in in January.

I've already advocated David Wheater who would work well with Gabbidon and we would also have Reid, Ben Haim (who has plenty of PL experience), Tomkins and DaCosta too. We wouldn't be short in that area and we are desperate for goals and Sturridge is a really good player who is a step up on our current crop of strikers.
RM6

Post by RM6 »

I'll be surprised if Upson is around when the window closes. It's the last time we can command a fee and in reality we can't pass that revenue up.

A replacment will have to be signed. I can see someone like Curtis Davies (on loan at Leicester until Jan 2011) brought in.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

RM6 wrote:I'll be surprised if Upson is around when the window closes. It's the last time we can command a fee and in reality we can't pass that revenue up.
We can if it is likely to cost us 20-30 mil in six months time. Dont get me wrong, Upson pisses me off as he is probably one of our worst captains of all time, but selling him for 2-3mil would be a suicidle (spelling) move.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

HammermanDan wrote:If you spell "Scott Parker" in scrabble, you automatically win. Forever.
-
I heard even Chuck Norris calls him Mr Parker........
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

stu1 wrote:but selling him for 2-3mil would be a suicidle (spelling) move.
-
But getting nothing at the end of the season would be even worse, if we get an offer of 2-3 mill we will have no option but to take it, liewise if we get an offer of anything over 6 mill for Cole, I think we should take that also, we should have taken the money from Liverpool when they were talking 10 mill..
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

OzzHammer wrote: -
But getting nothing at the end of the season would be even worse, if we get an offer of 2-3 mill we will have no option but to take it, liewise if we get an offer of anything over 6 mill for Cole, I think we should take that also, we should have taken the money from Liverpool when they were talking 10 mill..
Mate i think your missing the point.

How is staying up and losing Upson on a free, worse than selling him for 2-3 million and going down :shock:
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

RM6 wrote:I'll be surprised if Upson is around when the window closes. It's the last time we can command a fee and in reality we can't pass that revenue up.

A replacment will have to be signed. I can see someone like Curtis Davies (on loan at Leicester until Jan 2011) brought in.
I really don't see him leaving, just because I don't know who would want to buy him when they could land him for free in the summer, nor do I see anyone giving him the money he most likely wants at this point.

Either way, Davies in on loan with a view for the rest of the season sounds like the most sensible move in the this thread...if Villa are willing to part with him, that is.
Chelmo Hammer

Post by Chelmo Hammer »

Selling Upson in Jan obviously relies on us getting a replacement in FIRST. I won't be sad to see the back of him, but if we can get someone in first, then get shot to someone willing to stump up a couple of million. What we do not need or want is a deadline day James Collins type situation, that would indeed be suicidal.

I don't know who that person to replace him should be mind you. I've heard Wheater's name mentioned on here a few times.