Transfer Window: January 2011

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

QuintonNimoy

Re: January 2011 transfer window thread

Post by QuintonNimoy »

Bubbles & Squeaks 77 wrote:When his thigh injury clears anyway. :lol:
You know what I mean, it's not £35 million for someone who's never scored a goal in a decent league. He will score at least a reasonable amount without having to improve drastically.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

QuintonNimoy wrote:You know what I mean, it's not £35 million for someone who's never scored a goal in a decent league. He will score at least a reasonable amount without having to improve drastically.
I was just being facetious QN. :wink:
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

the Carroll transfer is up there with maddest of all time, He has maybe 6 or 7 good games in the Premiership but I was more impressed with Zamora last year at Fulham and I wouldnt have thought even before injury he was worth more than £10m
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

Bubbles & Squeaks 77 wrote:
I don't think the risk is calculated - I think Kenny has hit the Special Brew.
I don't get the money in to money out argument at all.

If Carroll and Suarez bomb does anyone think in 2 years time that the Torres deal will be remembered in terms of the difference between the signings? No - Carroll will be remembered a £35m flunk - not a £15m gamble.

As for Suarez - could go either way but IMO the Dutch league is no barometer for form at all as names like Kezman and Alves will testify.

Liverpool have sold steak and bought beefburgers with the money.
one difference from those two; young player who has scored consistently against good opponents (both at international level and national) kezman and alves were neither
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

bubbles

Bent and Dzeko - 2 better players, have just gone for £10m & £8m less respectively, within the last couple of weeks. Few years age difference or not.

Come the summer, there will be far better players than Carroll available.

Even if it means spending an extra £5m-£10m by using your weak 'they'll know they have money' argument, then they would still be signed for a good £15m less.

Liverpool could have kept schtum, bided their time and led an assault and really gone out to get a couple of outstanding players (both far better than Carroll) in the summer.
Clubs would have assumed the money was soaked up with the financial situation.

You can picture the board room meeting:

"Oh no, clubs will know we've got money in the summer and hold us to ransom over £5m-£10m extra, so let's get a signing in right now"

"Andy Carroll... £35m?"

"Yeah, good one, old boy. We dodged a bullet there..."

:|
Last edited by rare as rockinghorse shat on Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FurryDice Upton Boy

Post by FurryDice Upton Boy »

So no last minute deals for us then?
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

FurryDice Upton Boy wrote:So no last minute deals for us then?
I reckon we will sign Edu to be honest.
FurryDice Upton Boy

Post by FurryDice Upton Boy »

I reckon we will sign Edu to be honest.[/quote]

So the Wes Brown rumour was bs then?
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes

Post by JonG86 »

Why is it more likely that Dzeko will succeed and Suarez won't?

Both from pretty average leagues...
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Pink, bubbles

All due respect, but your logic is grey suited, accountant nonsense.

No team - whether the dollars are bloody wooden, the market is relative and all that - should be paying £20m for Andy Carroll.

Ashley and Pardew will be s***ting themselves laughing.

This is possibly the most ridiculous signing in football history and I'm at a loss as to how anyone can stake any sort of defence, calculators or not.

Andy Carroll - £35m

Madness
RARS

Firstly whilst I frequently sprout on like an accountant I would NEVER be seen in a grey suit .Prince of Wales check or Navy , but never grey .And all my suits have claret and blue lining and a West Ham players name embroidered in the lining - my Billy Bonds is the epitome of style and panache.

Old fashioned, traditional English No.9 's .Not too long ago somebody was writing a good thread about how they are dying out .Well heres one for you .

Big lump, good in the air , powerful left foot , batters centre backs , and , this is crucial , has scored 11 PL goals this season , 2 more than Torres .And he is younger .

So, for me , it's because he is a good footballer - in England .

£35m is a bargain .Pardew and Ashley may well be laughing today , but will soon realise it's a vit like selling your house for a million quid and thinking you're rich , until your new home costs 2 million .

This is not, repeat not, a panic buy by Dalglish .

Well researched , and I have no doubt , personally scouted a few times , this is part of a bigger plan at Liverpool .

Bargain .
Side of Ham

Post by Side of Ham »

What's mad is the fact that there is shock at this kind of thing when probably 80% subscribe to the root cause of all this.

Andy Carroll has all the correct attributes to be a fantastic success in this league and probably only this league, he's no way World Class and no way would be bought for this money to go to the other top leagues.

What does this tell us:

This league is sh*t and it is bankrolled by the media but most of you help contribute to it and then moan when it rears it's true ugly self, in the only way it can by embarrassing itself with stupid fees for players that only excel because they are physically capable in this league and this league only. Those foreign players who come over and are a great success have adapted to our basic physical gameplay but excelled due to their superior technique, but really they lose a bit of their creativity or have no opportunity to express it because the game is too fast.

Fast means rushed, rushed means sh*t. The media sell our league like they are all gladiators when we all know deep down what they really are.

Wake up England, surely a couple of international tournaments has shown you how it is??????
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Pinky

Although I mentioned Pardew/Ashley, it's not about Newcastle selling him, it's about Liverpool buying him.

He is a good centre forward, promising, potential.
Did I read right that only 2 of his goals this season have come on the floor?

Comparing his scoring record with Torres this year, is like comparing Piquionne's with Rooney's. It's an absolute dud point.

They have sold Torres, replaced him with one of the best young strikers plying his trade in Europe. Suarez. £25m in the bank.

Quite immense piece of business.

Go out and spend £35m on Andy bloody Carroll.

Dunno whether you're saying 'bargain' just for consistency and to hit your point home, but I hope it's tongue in cheek. :lol:

facepalmlolz
Last edited by rare as rockinghorse shat on Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ironeyes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by ironeyes »

I reckon we will sign Edu to be honest.[/quote]

I don't understand the Edu interest. Haven't we got enough central midfielders? Surely Parker, Noble, Hitz, Collison and Spector is enough.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

ironeyes wrote:Hitz, Collison
Not played at all this season and may not be fit to play for a while longer. Collison potentially out for the season.

Edu would be cheap, decent cover. Can accurately pass a football and would mean we dont have to play Kovac in midfield again.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

the pink palermo wrote:
RARS

Firstly whilst I frequently sprout on like an accountant I would NEVER be seen in a grey suit .Prince of Wales check or Navy , but never grey .And all my suits have claret and blue lining and a West Ham players name embroidered in the lining - my Billy Bonds is the epitome of style and panache.

Old fashioned, traditional English No.9 's .Not too long ago somebody was writing a good thread about how they are dying out .Well heres one for you .

Big lump, good in the air , powerful left foot , batters centre backs , and , this is crucial , has scored 11 PL goals this season , 2 more than Torres .And he is younger .

So, for me , it's because he is a good footballer - in England .

£35m is a bargain .Pardew and Ashley may well be laughing today , but will soon realise it's a vit like selling your house for a million quid and thinking you're rich , until your new home costs 2 million .

This is not, repeat not, a panic buy by Dalglish .

Well researched , and I have no doubt , personally scouted a few times , this is part of a bigger plan at Liverpool .

Bargain .
Pinky, whilst there are few posters who I find myself agreeing wiuth more than you, Andy Carroll would have been a good signing for Liverpool.....had they paid £20m.

For £35m they really should have been able to add Van der Vaart and Hangelaand as well and had a proper go at getting back into the Champion's league. Instead they've sold one of the best players in World football and replaced him with a striker who might one day be as good as John Hartson was.
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

35 million a bargain for Andy Carroll?

I've never heard so much nonsense
M*A*R*C

Post by M*A*R*C »

JonG86 wrote:Why is it more likely that Dzeko will succeed and Suarez won't?

Because the German League is a good deal stronger than the Dutch one.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

JonG86 wrote:Why is it more likely that Dzeko will succeed and Suarez won't?

South American coming from the dutch league

Got flop written all over it........

:P
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

RARS

Dzeko wasn't available .If Man City bid, Man City win .

Bent : Liverpools major issue this season has been Torres inability to hold the ball up front .This is what Dalglish has bought Carroll for .Suarez will be good on the deck , Carroll in the air .Partnership ? Maybe .Bent does nowt but score goals - usually as a lone hunter , but there a reason why he doesn't play for England and Carroll does .

Dalglish has a midfield that will survive another 2 seasons, although Adam would have been a bonus - his next priority is to grab a couple of centre backs in the summer , and the midfielders in summer 2012 .

He will, in 18 months have rebuilt the team with good, young , hungry players .

So far , £22m for Suarez and £35m for Carroll , Liverpool have got a strike partnership for £7m more than Torres .Torres had to go .He wasn't just sulking, he was strolling around the pitch .Very unprofessional .

Great , great business by Dalglish .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

stubbsy07 wrote:35 million a bargain for Andy Carroll?

I've never heard so much nonsense

Who is better that they could have bought ?