Transfer Window: January 2011

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1179 likes

Re: January 2011 transfer window thread

Post by fjthegrey »

So where's the money coming from for this major rebuilding project considering young, good centre backs cost over £10mil and as an example, David Luiz was over £25mil?

Couldn't that £35mil been spent a bit more economically and allowed for the signing of 2-3 very good players rather than just 1? (obviously forgoing the fact I don't rate Carroll)
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2905 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Turns to Stone wrote: Pinky, whilst there are few posters who I find myself agreeing wiuth more than you, Andy Carroll would have been a good signing for Liverpool.....had they paid £20m.

For £35m they really should have been able to add Van der Vaart and Hangelaand as well and had a proper go at getting back into the Champion's league. Instead they've sold one of the best players in World football and replaced him with a striker who might one day be as good as John Hartson was.
TTS

Spurs wouldn't sell VdV .
Dzeko had already gone to Man City before Liverpool had any money .

FWIW, they may go back for Hangeland in the summer - I've posted in another reply Dalglish is rebuilding his team - and this is just the first wave .
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

JonG86 wrote:Why is it more likely that Dzeko will succeed and Suarez won't?

Both from pretty average leagues...
The German league is far superior to the Dutch league.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

fjthegrey wrote:So where's the money coming from for this major rebuilding project considering young, good centre backs cost over £10mil and as an example, David Luiz was over £25mil?

Couldn't that £35mil been spent a bit more economically and allowed for the signing of 2-3 very good players rather than just 1? (obviously forgoing the fact I don't rate Carroll)
From their new owners .

So far they have spent £7m .

About what they will earn in prize money by the number of places they will move up the table compared with the day Dalglish was appointed .

Effectively , on players the owners won't have spent a dime .
Bramwell
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Bramwell »

My brother works in the antiques game, and the one question he avoids answering above all others is "so what's this worth?" If pushed, he'll answer "whatever someone's prepared to pay for it, mate". As he'll tell you, it's all about circumstance. And he's got plenty of stories he can tell you, like the guy who out-bid him at an auction recently and bought some pictures for 3 grand, before subsequently selling them for the fat end of £900,000 (true). If Citeh had gone to NUFC at the start of the January window and got quoted £35 million for Carroll, they'd have said "no thanks", and bought Dzecko for 10 mill less. But Liverpool had little or no time to do a deal, and 50 mill to burn.
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

Not suggesting they could of bought anyone better at this moment in time and I am very sure Carroll will become a top player for the bindippers.

But a player that has scored 2/3 prem goals ever with his feet, has had half a good season at the top level and is still unproven internationally cannot be considered a 'bargain' as you put it for £35 million
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Some of you lot !

Rooney was **** because he never scored with his head.......Carroll never scores with his feet, so he's ****.......

A goals a goal .Even penalties count .
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

claretcloggy wrote:one difference from those two; young player who has scored consistently against good opponents (both at international level and national) kezman and alves were neither
Kezman's record is practically identical.

Was the same sort of age when he came to England.
Kezman for PSV in his total 4 seasons - 105 goals in 122 games
Suarez for Ajax in his total 4 seasons - 81 goals in 110 games
Suarez's international record is slightly better - Kezman 17 goals in 49 games / Suarez 16 from 38 though are Indonesia and Venezuela "good opponents"?

Ajax did exactly the same as Newcastle and baulked at Liverpool's first offer who in this case then went away and nearly doubled it.

I think Suarez like Carroll (for the money they paid for both) is a MASSIVE gamble and like I said earlier - Liverpool have sold a steak and bought hamburgers with the money.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Pinky

Firstly, I'm not saying Liverpool should have and could have got Dzeko or Bent. Merely using them as 2 examples to blow the crap out of bubbles' 'relative' daftness.

Bent does nothing but score goals?
Best movement of any striker in the league, works his nuts off, brilliant in the air, great touch, good vision, good passing, ability to hold the ball up, despite his size. You are so very wrong about him.

He is also a far, far better player than Andy Carroll.

Dalglish has a midfield that will survive 2 seasons.
So what does he do, when presented with an absolute golden opportunity to spend the best part of £35m on the midfield?

He spends it ALL of it on Andy bloody Carroll. All £35m of it. (£35,000,000) (million).

£22m on Suarez would have been good business to replace Torres.

Regardless of whether they are in the Champions League or not, they are still Liverpool
Imagine being a Liverpool fan, having the prospect of re-structuring the entire future of the Liverpool side, with £35m.

Then seeing it all spent on a decent youngster, with a lot of potential, a questionable fitness record and a poor temperament.

They've got the new Duncan Ferguson.

£35m. Bargain.

Sheer lunacy.
Dieter Eckstein
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Dieter Eckstein »

the pink palermo wrote:
Great , great business by Dalglish .
Getting 50 mil for Torres is definitely great business, considering what he's actually brought to the team this year.

But (without wanting to jump on the Pinky-bashing bandwagon), surely you can only go as far as saying that 35 mil could turn out to be a bargain for Liverpool? Carroll does look a great prospect, and should turn in to a great player, but at this stage of his career he's basically ticking the same boxes that James Beattie was when Everton splashed out on him.

As far as I'm concerned they have paid way over the market value in the hope that he continues to improve at the rate he has in the past 2 seasons. Not to say that he won't, but 35 mil should really buy you the finished product rather than the hot prospect.
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

the pink palermo wrote:Some of you lot !

Rooney was sh*t because he never scored with his head.......Carroll never scores with his feet, so he's sh*t.......

A goals a goal .Even penalties count .
Did not say he was ****.

You said he was 'bargain' which at £35 million he is not
fmgod
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 148 likes

Post by fmgod »

They would of been better of going for Hugo Rodagella for a few mil, would a be a decent stop gap, not cost loads and still be good backup if they wanted to invest further in the summer.

Pinky

For the same effect, Liverpool could have gone out and tried to get someone like Miroslav Klose in on loan till the end of the season.

Similar player, currently as good as Carroll, if not better, better finisher, more experienced, better in the air, for 'relative' pittance.

Penalties do not count the same as goals in open play, when judging a striker's scoring ability.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1179 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

the pink palermo wrote: Who is better that they could have bought ?
Elmander and Cahill. £26mil for the pair? :lol:
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

Bubbles & Squeaks 77 wrote:I was just being facetious QN. :wink:
Sorry, it's hard to tell the consciously facetious from the kumbers who consider a one liner to be a cogent argument!
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1454 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

the pink palermo wrote:

Who is better that they could have bought ?
I don't know who's available in World football right now, but Pazzini, Dzeko, Adebayor have both been sold recently for less than Carroll. Forlan was linked with a move to Spurs yesterday (would have combined very well with Suazo).

My point originally was they were in no hurry to buy. Why rush out and spend all that money on a player who is at the very top of his value. IF, and it's a big IF, Carroll was to end the season on 20 Prem goals for Newcastly, he still would only have cost £35m. Ashly would never have resisted that transfer. Especially after a man like Torres (82 caps for the World Champions and still only 26) had gone for a mere £50m.

Yet, if Caroll had had a lean spell. Only 2 goals in his last 15 games or whatever, the price comes down significantly. And what if Madrid go and buy another striker, all of a sudden Benzema becomes available or Pandev or Milito for example.

Liverpool for me have been forced to sell Torres at his lowest price (2 years ago, he was as valuable as the £80m Ronald) and bought Carroll at his highest possible price. They didn't need to that in my opinion. If they'd given Carroll a nudge, he'd have stamped his feet and handed in a transfer request and probably got his move to them in the Summer for a more sensible price (£20m).

By the way, the but about VdV was more about him costing £8m than Liverpool realistically getting him. Carroll may well turn out to be a decent signing, but the way I see it Liverpool have spent the same on one 21 year old with 11 Prem League teams, that has been spent on Ozil, Van der Vaart and Pazzini in the last 12 months. Indicative of the market or not, surely that has to be crazy....doesn't it?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

I'm not winning this one am I ?

:lol:

I'll shut up now, and let the goal machine do the talking for me .

RARS - I stand corrected on Bent - I'm sure you are correct , he does more than nick goals .

Pinky

Let's say Mark Noble wanted out.
We sell him for £25m.

Now, we go and replace him with Jack Rodwell and Wilson Palacios for £30m, would you consider that 'great, great business'?

After all, we'd strengthened the squad for only a £5m net outlay.

You and bubbles are looking for pragmatism and alternative logic, but all you're getting is number crunching, without footballing logic.
Last edited by rare as rockinghorse shat on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

the pink palermo wrote:A goals a goal.Even penalties count.

Which is why IMO Andy Johnson's goalscoring record in Crystal Palace's foray in the Premiership made him look a lot better than the £8.5m and £12m Everton and Fulham spunked on him as nearly half of his goals came from the spot.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:They've got the new Duncan Ferguson.
This was the name that sprang to my mind when considering that he might not get much better. £35 million on big Dunc is a pretty big downside to take risk wise.